Archive 2018 > Week 1: Chapter 1-8:Betrothed

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Post comments/thoughts here.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
In this section we are introduced to the various characters as they wait for reinforcements after Sir Richard's death.
The Fleming seems to be the strongest personality so far.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Questions
1. What do you know of the Welsh and Norman conflict at this time?
2. What do you think of Raymond Berenger's decision?
3. Why do you think Scott made Wilkin Flammock take a different stance on keeping one's word?
4. What are the differences between the Welsh and the Normans?

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

I think that Raymond Berenger made a big mistake assuming that the Welsh followed the same code of chivalry as the Normans. His idealism cost many lives.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I think that Raymond Berenger made a big mistake assuming that the Welsh followed the same code of chivalry as the Normans. His idealism cost many lives."

I don't think he thought they would honour chivalry and this in my mind made his decision even more of a mistake, especially as it put so many lives at risk, not just his own. Would it not have been more honourable to just go out there alone rather than take others with him to their death just for the sake of keeping his word?

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

That makes a lot more sense than basically opening up the castle to the invaders. He was not a very intelligent person, judging by his actions.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "That makes a lot more sense than basically opening up the castle to the invaders. He was not a very intelligent person, judging by his actions."

As far as I understand, chivalry was taken very seriously but I am not sure if in reality a Norman Lord would have done this or not. Possibly because I have read instances of where to keep the laws of chivalry a knight has done that which would most likely bring about his demise.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Wilkin Flammock and his daughter are Flemings which means they are Dutch from the medieval county of Flanders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_...