It Just Gets Stranger Book Club discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Woman in White > Favorite Character(s)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (mimihalley) | 84 comments Mod
Do you have a favorite character?

I find myself really liking Pesca even though he's a rather minor character. He just played such a cheerful role.

I was also pretty impressed by Marian's endurance and tenacity. I wish her health hadn't diminished so. Her funny line at the end of the book leaves me with hope that she'll regain he previous glory. She certainly was the Count's favorite character!

Sarah | 5 comments When Frederick Fairlie was giving his account, I found myself laughing and enjoying the double standard he presented in claiming the position of a gentleman but only performing the bare minimum his station required him to do. When compared to Walter's exemplar character and industrious nature, they are the perfect foils of one another.

Sarah wrote: "When Frederick Fairlie was giving his account, I found myself laughing and enjoying the double standard he presented in claiming the position of a gentleman but only performing the bare minimum his..."

Was that the name of the "invalid" uncle? He drove me crazy! (As he was supposed to, I'm sure.) You are so right that he literally only did the bare minimum. If even that!

I wonder how many readers back when this novel came out would have read that character and recognized it as a stereotype that existed then.

message 4: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. (amyrose4801) | 40 comments Mod
I find myself stunned that Frederick managed to be so awful to so many people around him, and yet never suffered any kind of "accident". Know what I mean? Like, an ACCIDENT. It showed remarkable restraint on the part of his family members, and his servants.

message 5: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. (amyrose4801) | 40 comments Mod
One of my favorite characters will always be Mrs. Vesey, if only because the description of her character is one of the best things I have ever read.

"A calm enjoyment of a calm existence beamed in drowsy smiles on her plump, placid face. Some of us rush through life; and some of us saunter through life. Mrs. Vesey sat through life."

A. wrote: "I find myself stunned that Frederick managed to be so awful to so many people around him, and yet never suffered any kind of "accident". Know what I mean? Like, an ACCIDENT. It showed remarkable re..."

Haha. So true. A different author could have taken his character to a much more tragic end.