It Just Gets Stranger Book Club discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
Woman in White > Countess Fosco

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (mimihalley) | 84 comments Mod
What did you think about her? I kept trying to decide throughout the book. She was originally painted, I thought, as a feminist and free thinker—a modern woman. But in the part of the book where we see her firsthand, she seemed so entirely under Count Fosco's thumb, and she remained submissive even after his death. It was so sad to me that she so completely neglected the family tie of caring for her niece. Was she just too brainwashed by her strong willed husband? Or perhaps was she motivated by greed? Upset that the money had gone to Laura in the first place?

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Hokanson (liz_hok) I felt the same way--I wondered though if she were motivated by fear, meaning that she knew what atrocities her husband was capable of and wanted to avoid those befalling her at all costs? Just a thought, not really founded in anything.

Fear can be a strong motivator.

I wish we could have seen her point of view. The book’s manner of writing (all supposedly being evidence for the case of restoring Laura’s identity) didn’t allow for ever getting inside Countess Fosco or Baron Glyde’s heads.

I’m still amazed at the audacity and pride of Count Fosco, shown in how he had the nerve to write in Marian’s diary! He was so confident that he’d get away with everything. And based on the witnesses provided by the various household help, he certainly was good at winning over those he wanted to be won.

message 4: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. (amyrose4801) | 40 comments Mod
I think she is a tragic character in this book, whatever her motive. Seems to me she fell the farthest, both from potential for the future and from descriptions of her past self.

That is very insightful.