Tortall Read-Along discussion

26 views
Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April Sarah (last edited Aug 14, 2018 05:40AM) (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Hi guys!

I figured this would be a good place for everyone participating to introduce themselves.

Feel free to let us know what your Youtube channel, blog site, or other social media are. Also don't be shy about using #ReadTortall when you post about your reading adventure.

My tentative reading Schedule:
January - Alanna & Hands of a Goddess
February - Woman Who Rides Like a Man & Lioness Rampant
March - Wild Magic & Wolf-Speaker
April - Emperor Mage & Realms of the Gods
May - First Test & Page
June - Squire & Knight
July - Trickster's Choice
August - Trickster's Queen
September - Terrier
October - Bloodhound
November - Mastiff


You can find me anywhere below.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnwn...
Instagram: http://instagram.com/maydawn
Twitter: https://twitter.com/maydawn
Snapchat: aprilsarahreads


message 2: by Shae (new)

Shae (shaegeeksout) | 4 comments Yay!!!


message 3: by Em (new)

Em (emreadseverything) | 1 comments I was so excited when I saw the video for this! I've loved these books since I was young and feel like they should get way more love. :D

Twitter: https://twitter.com/emreads
Tumblr: https://emreadseverything.tumblr.com
Litsy: @Emory


message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hi. I'm a huge Tamora Pierce fan! I already reread the first two series in anticipation of the Tempests and Slaughter release, but I'll certainly join in for the Protector of the Small series!


message 5: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Hi. I'm a huge Tamora Pierce fan! I already reread the first two series in anticipation of the Tempests and Slaughter release, but I'll certainly join in for the Protector of the Small series!"

I seriously love that. I thought about doing that as well, which is part of the reason I wanted to do this read-along. :)


message 6: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Emory wrote: "I was so excited when I saw the video for this! I've loved these books since I was young and feel like they should get way more love. :D

Twitter: https://twitter.com/emreads
Tumblr: https://emrea..."


I completely agree. They don't get enough love. I'm so glad you decided to join in!


message 7: by Anica (new)

Anica (midknytowl) | 6 comments Hi! I finished Squire last night and hated that I was the third book in a third series so I couldn't just talk to people or make a friend read it so we could discuss. So I went hunting around on booktube and found myself here. :)

I read the Song of the Lioness series during winter break last year, then really wanted to read Protector of the Small to follow the whole lady knight thing, but since The Immortals came between it I started those first.

I...didn't love them. Sorry! I read the first one and then have been halfway through the second one since January a year ago. I just...I don't know. Daine doesn't click with me so well, and I have thoughts on the relationship thing but I don't want to spoil anyone here. I don't know if I just wouldn't like them as much anyway, or if it is because I really just wanted to read Protector of the Small and they were more an obligation read.

Anyway, I realized that was dumb to try and make myself read a set of books, setting myself up to hate them, when I really wanted to read the next, so I just went ahead and started Protector of the Small after Christmas. I'm so glad I did! I think it would have been confusing to have jumped in without having read Wild Magic, but otherwise it was fine.

I'm not sure if I'll do much of a read-along, since I'll finish this quartet first, but maybe I'll join in for The Immortals? Am I wrong, was I just not giving them a fair chance because I wanted to rush through them to get to Kel's story, or are they just a much different vein but in the same universe?

Anyway, that's very long and you probably think I'm a weirdo, but I just want to talk to someone about these books. Hope you don't mind too much. :)


message 8: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Anica wrote: "Hi! I finished Squire last night and hated that I was the third book in a third series so I couldn't just talk to people or make a friend read it so we could discuss. So I went hunting around on bo..."

The Immortals does have a very different feel from both the Song of the Lioness series and the Protector of the small, so don't feel bad about not enjoying it as much. And trust me I won't judge you for skipping around in the universe. There are a few things in the Immortal series that explains why some things are happening but you can pick up on them in later books with Kel's story and Then Aly's stories.


message 9: by Shae (new)

Shae (shaegeeksout) | 4 comments I forgot to introduce myself! Hi! I'm Shae! I love all things geeky, especially books!

www.YouTube.com/shaegeeksout
www.Twitter.com/shaegeeksout
www.Instagram.com/shaegeeksout


message 10: by Danielle (last edited Jan 10, 2018 11:33AM) (new)

Danielle (mustbinsane) Hello! I have never read any of Tamora Pierce's books. Shameful, I know. I'm not even sure how I wasn't exposed to them as a kid - maybe because I started reading fantasy due to my parents, who only read adult fantasy? But it's time for me to correct this grave oversight.


message 11: by Anna Kay (new)

Anna Kay (annakaybooks) Hello, I'm Anna! Not really active on social media or YouTube anymore, but I still watch vids. I saw this read-along and got soooo excited!!! I was just thinking about re-reading because of Tempests and Slaughter. I didn't read Tortall till I was in either middle or high school, and Aly's books are my favorites (Kel's are a close second). I have still never read the Beka Cooper series! Opportunities, right? :)


message 12: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay) wrote: "Hello, I'm Anna! Not really active on social media or YouTube anymore, but I still watch vids. I saw this read-along and got soooo excited!!! I was just thinking about re-reading because of Tempest..."

If you Loved Aly's and Kel's stories, I have a strong feeling you will enjoy the Beka Cooper seires.


message 13: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Danielle wrote: "Hello! I have never read any of Tamora Pierce's books. Shameful, I know. I'm not even sure how I wasn't exposed to them as a kid - maybe because I started reading fantasy due to my parents, who onl..."

Yes, yes it is! ;)
I'm glad you decided to join us.


message 14: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Shala wrote: "I forgot to introduce myself! Hi! I'm Shae! I love all things geeky, especially books!

www.YouTube.com/shaegeeksout
www.Twitter.com/shaegeeksout
www.Instagram.com/shaegeeksout"


For shame. ;)


message 15: by Anica (new)

Anica (midknytowl) | 6 comments Not an introduction, but I didn't know where it would fit otherwise.

Last night I had a crossover dream - Alanna was squire to Sirius Black (who had been cleared of charges so could continue being a knight). It was great.

Who knew my subconscious was so nerdy? :)


message 16: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Anica wrote: "Not an introduction, but I didn't know where it would fit otherwise.

Last night I had a crossover dream - Alanna was squire to Sirius Black (who had been cleared of charges so could continue being..."


Oh my gosh, can I steal your subconscious... okay that probably didn't come out right, but the dream sounds like it would be amazing.


message 17: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 2 comments Hi, I'm Kelsey, and I'm just starting to read the Tortall books for the first time. I read Pierce's "Circle of Magic" and "The Circle Opens" series when I was in high school, and remember being diverted by them for a time, but not overly impressed. The Tortall books were so important to so many of my bookish peers though, I feel like I need to fill in my knowledge gap!

If I'm being honest with myself, I'll probably only make it through the Song of the Lioness books this year, since I get through series VERY slowly, but that's good enough for me!

I'm on Bookube as The Fancy Hat Lady Reads! at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7CA... and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/thefancyhatlady


message 18: by April Sarah (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
Kelsey wrote: "Hi, I'm Kelsey, and I'm just starting to read the Tortall books for the first time. I read Pierce's "Circle of Magic" and "The Circle Opens" series when I was in high school, and remember being div..."

I'm so glad you decided to join us Kelsey! I read the Circle of Magic and started the Circle Opens around the same time I was reading the Tortall books the first time and couldn't ever really get into them. I do hope you have a better experience with Son of the Lioness.

Also, I am no going to go creep you on social media. ;)


message 19: by Hope (new)

Hope | 1 comments Hiya, I'm Hope, and I grew up loving Tamora Pierce's series. I really liked the magic aspects in her Circle Opens world, and I love so much about the Tortall world. Really liked the Daine series...oh but now I can't pick that over Alanna and Kel!
Just finished Tempests and Slaughter and although recently I'd been disappointed in her last books (Cold Magic; and the last in the Beka Cooper trilogy - that twist made very little sense with the way the character had been built up for two whole thick preceding novels I swear. So disappointing.) this one was a good read.
Tentatively looking forward to her next works. :)


back to top