Star Wars Bookworms Book Club discussion

Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
This topic is about Star Wars
2018 Book Discussions > Jan 2018 The Legends of Luke Skywalker

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new)

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
This book has been out long enough that spoilers are allowed in this discussion.

Spoilers for The Last Jedi are also allowed

message 2: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie This was a fun read. ☺ It tied in well with 2 scenes from TLJ. The past where Like caught the fish with the spear, and the kids telling the Like stories.

Ryan Parker (skapocalypse) | 9 comments Disappointing. Only one story is worth reading and a couple are downright silly. Possibly my least favorite “new canon” book to date.

Frank O'Sullivan | 23 comments Normally I don't give negative reviews to any stories I've read if I don't like them, in particular Star Wars stories. Writing is an art and I feel very uncomfortable negatively reviewing an art form I love so much, just because I may dislike a novel or a short story doesn't automatically make it bad. But in this instance unfortunately I feel the necessity to make an exception.
I love the idea of The Legends of Luke Skywalker. It gave Lucasfilm Group an opportunity to tell stories in the now canon timeline that didn't necessarily need to be factual in the Galaxy far far, away.
"I'm not sure if this story is true but legend has it Luke Skywalker done this..."
They could have told some unbelievable stories, but instead we got, I'm sorry to say, six forgettable stories. It's well written, Ken Liu has talent, but the stories are poor in my opinion. How the idea where a flee fooled Luke into thinking it was the Force or a Jedi Force Ghost, guiding him during the events of Jabba's Palace in Jedi made it past an editor is beyond me. If one of these stories was published in a magazine or an anthology I probably wouldn't be as harsh, but all six in one volume I felt was too much. By the end of the book I felt exhausted and was relieved to have completed it.
On a positive point the artwork and the feel of the book is amazing.

Khurram (theirongeek) | 26 comments I have to say I did not like the book with the exception of the Tide story, but I think the book was very much in keeping with the direction the movie took. I found the mixing of the jokes at the beginning quite funny,

"Luke making the Kessel run in 12 parsecs"

That is still one of my favorites.

Caleb Hobbick (chobbick) | 97 comments Hey guys, on StarWars.com go to the Star Wars show and they have a 27 minute talk with the directors of Lucasfilm about the Easter eggs of the Last Jedi. It's really cool how connected some of the scenes are. Watch it.

N.E.C.C. | 28 comments Caleb wrote: "Hey guys, on StarWars.com go to the Star Wars show and they have a 27 minute talk with the directors of Lucasfilm about the Easter eggs of the Last Jedi. It's really cool how connected some of the ..."

I saw it, really cool video!!!

The book was "ok" i guess. I liked a couple of storys but the rest were boring.
Didn't add much to the canon. I was hoping for more.

Thomas Myers | 9 comments Well, this book seems to be getting a lot of negative feedback, but I for one loved it.

Sure some of the stories seemed a bit off (YMMV on the meta "these are tales"), but I thought the whole concept was brilliant.

It was a great insight into Luke's journey into his "Legend" status I thought.

Star Wars has always been a space opera, and very Circular. This is all part of the saga.

Yazir Paredes (jazzpty) | 4 comments Ryan wrote: "Disappointing. Only one story is worth reading and a couple are downright silly. Possibly my least favorite “new canon” book to date."
Couldnt Agree more.

message 10: by Matthew S. (last edited Feb 27, 2018 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew S. Zielinski (mattyz) | 8 comments I enjoyed that this book played off of the theme of what others (including us) have thought of Luke over the years. What Luke needed to be for us and what we made Luke into. I love that it connected to the children on Canto Bight and how they were sharing stories of Luke, including what just happened at the end of the movie. It helps us see what direction episode 9 can go down while also helping us realize that our own “legends” of Luke are similar to the stories in the book, in that they are variations on what the text of the movies tell us Luke was. Great character piece in how we all take legends and make them be what we need to get through life.

Matthew S. Zielinski (mattyz) | 8 comments Ryan wrote: "Disappointing. Only one story is worth reading and a couple are downright silly. Possibly my least favorite “new canon” book to date."

I'm sorry that you feel this way Ryan. I felt that the "silliness" or divergence from the tone and story of the movies was intentional. It showed how other in the galaxy perceive the stories that we have the ability to know from directly viewing. The book gave us a lens of how others have learned about Luke or passed down the legend in order to help their situation. This also puts the spotlight on how we have taken the true text of the movies, internalized them, and turned them in to the narratives that we need them to be. To me, it also showed the error in our way of saying that the Luke in The Last Jedi wasn't "our Luke". I enjoyed that the stories were silly, spent a decent amount of time putting us into the world of a mole flea, and then grounded it in the stories of slaves in the galaxy and what Luke means to them. While it isn't an orthodox Star Wars novel, I applaud the uniqueness of it.