Ticket to Read Book Challenge 2018 discussion

Inside the Shadow City (Kiki Strike,#1)
This topic is about Inside the Shadow City
18. Atypical genre > Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bonnie (bonbayel) | 48 comments I have decided to get to know more about YA fantasy literature,
so I've been reading some of the books before I place them in my Little Free Library. It took me a while to get into Kiki, but by the end I was almost tempted to get the next volume. But I'll leave it at that. It was fun reading about NYC. I grew up in NJ, only an hour by public transportation into the city, so I recognize some of the areas she mentions. There is a list at the end of one of the last chapters about how to find some of the places mentioned. In fact after almost every chapter, there is a guidebook for being a spy, which is amusing and useful!

message 2: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Manzanares | 73 comments Mod
It's so easy to dismiss YA books - there are some really good things being written for that audience!

Bonnie (bonbayel) | 48 comments I feel that there are so many of them that are fantasy that I wonder if they are being prepared for "real life" reading them. Kiki Strike books seem to stay close to a reality, and each chapter ends in recommendations that could be useful for life experience. It is also about some strong girls. But many involve a lot of violence, guns, etc.