Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
This topic is about The Magician's Nephew
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Monthly Book Reads > The Magician's Nephew: After Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
Thank you for reading the book with us! Please share your thoughts. Here are some questions to get you started:

-Who's your favorite character?
-What did you think of the ending?
-What did you think of the book?
-Do you have any ideas on the moral of the story?
-What do you think the author's tone suggests?

Note: Spoilers are allowed, so don't read this page unless you've read the book

message 2: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
Ahhh...*contented sigh* Such a wonderful, wonderful book. Now I really want to re-read the entire series. You know, I just might! I have a few others I should get to first, but these are such easy, quick reads...The Silver Chair is the only one I don't remember anything at all about. It was also the most difficult one for me to read when I first read them. I wonder why...well, I look forward to figuring it out.

Anywho, actual thoughts on Magician's Nephew XD I just left a review, so...

Mm, favorite character...favorite character. You know, I quite like Uncle Andrew XD I really liked the way he was illustrated in my copy of the book. He kind of reminds me of a Dr. Seuss character with his floppy, gray hair. I think that's mostly why I like him, but I do think he was well-written. Of course Aslan is a favorite. Strawberry was fun. I admired Digory, but I think I like him even better as the Professor in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I love seeing where Jadis comes from and how she got her start in Narnia. I suppose I don't have a favorite. I like them all!

The ending? I think it wrapped up quite nicely! I do wish I knew more about Polly, though. I mean, they said she and Digory remained good friends all their lives, but at the same time, she (as far as I can remember) is never again mentioned in the series...(she may be in the last book, but I don't recall...). I think the whole book was really fast-paced, so the ending didn't feel abrupt to me, but I just love it so much I wish there were more!

Moral of the Story? I think there were several! The whole book is a giant allegory! But, perhaps, the strongest theme I take from this particular story is to have integrity. The characters face several situations and are instructed multiple times that address this. Digory faces the question of the bell and mishandles that on a number of levels. Polly forgives him, which attests to her character. The uncle and Jadis are prime examples of selfishness and manipulation. The Cabby is our shining example of kindness and humility. I think in some way each of the characters contribute to the idea of having a strong character, valuing integrity and good-heartedness.

I can't wait to see what you think, Catherine!

message 3: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished just in time! It was a lot of fun to read, and it all wrapped up so nicely. I did not expect Digory to be the professor! I wonder what happened to Polly. I was really curious how C.S. was going to get the wardrobe out of it all, but he managed quite nicely.

It's a really creative prequel. I wouldn't have thought of it in a million years, with the rings and such. So simply written yet intricately woven, so that all the threads slowly come together to form a picture.

I actually haven't read many of the books in the series. My dad read LWW to me when I was very young, and not able to read chapter books quite yet, and I've never really felt moved to read them all before. Now I'm interested in them.

I particularly like the animals, Strawberry included. It just brightened my day reading about the new ones. They're like toddlers, discovering the world. Strawberry wasn't, of course, but he was loyal and frank and made me smile.

I couldn't possibly put the moral better than you did! You hit the nail right on the head!

The tone I already mentioned to you a bit: it's childlike and I love it.

message 4: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ooh! I didn't realize that you hadn't read them before! Gosh, I highly recommend it! If you want, we can buddy up and read them together! I'm dying to refresh my memory as it is and I have the whole set out in the shed. LWW is a favorite and so is Prince Caspian. Last Battle was...well, I'll just say it moved me deeply. Horse and His Boy was okay, but I have a feeling I'll better appreicate it now that I'm older. I don't remember any of Silver Chair at all. And Voyage was adventurous and fun.

Exactly! It never occurred to me to think of them as toddlers, but that's an excellent metaphor.

message 5: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes! We should read them together! The problem is, I have about ten books lined up before I can get to that.. hehe. Would starting the seventeenth work for you? That way I have time to read those ten and the book of the month.

message 6: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sure! Not a problem at all! I've got a few books lined up myself at the moment XD One non-fic my grandpa loaned me (after I finish the one I'm working on now) and one ARC (my very first ARC!! XD). I'm hoping it's good.

message 7: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ooo an ARC! How did you get it?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.