Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
This topic is about The Magician's Nephew
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Monthly Book Reads > The Magician's Nephew: While Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
While you're reading the book, share some thoughts with us! Here are some questions to get you started:

Do you have any predictions on what's going to happen?
What did you think of [insert scene here]?

message 2: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
Man, I absolutely love C. S. Lewis! And I adore The Chronicles of Narnia books! I'm so glad this book was chosen. It's giving me the perfect opportunity to re-read them.

I'm on chapter 3 now and I am just positively gleeful! I love Lewis's writing style and I love the time period. The uncle is so well-written and I admire the sense of honor and chivalry that Digory has. I'm so excited, y'all!! This is the story of how Narnia was born!!!

message 3: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

I really love the simplicity of this story and the way it's written. It has a depth to it that is at first difficult to see because of the almost unconcerned tone of the narrator. Oh, and the narrator is such fun! I think Lewis was a brilliant man and I am absolutely tickled to be rereading this. I feel like a small child again, reveling in the wonder of the world.

message 4: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think (the end of) chapter eight and chapter nine have to be my favorite parts of this entire book. It's so beautiful and soul-stirring, personally. It's like I can almost hear Aslan singing. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to witness the creation of the world and I think Lewis depicted it in such a stunning manner. Every time I read it, it makes me smile deep, deep down inside.

message 5: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

So I was looking at the back of my collection and I saw that it said "unabridged." I was confused for a minute, but then I realized: the pages of this book are quite large, larger than the solo book is! It's the same story exactly, just in fewer pages.

That said, I agree. It's refreshing to step into this book, so charming and simply written. The wording is subtly childish, using "grown-ups" instead of adults, and such, which I adore. I'm actually sort of reading this book in a British accent, if that makes any sense. xD My mind just thinks it's fitting, I guess.

I'm through chapter five, and eager to find out what's next! (view spoiler)

Now I'm excited to get to that part!

message 6: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes!!! I totally read it in an English accent! XD They're in London, so I think that's totally appropriate.

message 7: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

And I think you make an excellent point. He not only wrote the book for children, but from a childlike perspective, which I think was clever indeed.

message 8: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read eight and nine, and I agree: they're beautiful! I've heard of the Christianity behind these chronicles before, and I'm starting to see it. Aslan as God, the creation of the world. C.S. Lewis had a special mind, and I mean that in the best possible way. This so creative! It's all starting to fall wonderfully into place.

I laughed hard when (view spoiler)

What's your opinion: reading the books in publication or chronological order? I'm kind of neutral.

message 9: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAS! It was a double-edged sword, comedy and innocence!

Oh, gosh, I've never read them in published order. I'm kind of a sucker for chronology in all things, but I suppose it would be an interesting experiment to read them in the order they were published...I think things make more sense when in chronological order, and I, personally, appreciate more of the tie-ins and inside jokes that way.

Oh, wow, yes. There are many hidden gems like that. You can see it in the lessons Aslan teaches the children throughout the series and in the characters themselves. Even the events and plot points lend to it.

message 10: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can see it both ways. I think it really depends on the series. I think publication order makes sense in many situations, though, like you discover the world with Lucy, and don't know anything ahead of time.

message 11: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mm, perhaps, but Lucy isn't in all of the books. She's in three of the seven. Chronologically, each book connects to the next and sort of "hands off" the reigns so to speak to another set of MCs.

message 12: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Right. I don't mean this series specifically; that was just my example.

message 13: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh! I totally missed that!! XD So sorry!

message 14: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

No worries!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.