Tortall Read-Along discussion

The Song of the Lioness > Book 1 - Alanna: The First Adventure

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April Sarah (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

April Sarah | 36 comments Mod
“From now on I’m Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I’ll be a knight.”

And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places…

~*~

Feel free to start discussing your thoughts below.
I would love to hear what you think so far.

message 2: by Shae (new)

Shae (shaegeeksout) | 4 comments Ok, I'm about 50 pages in at this point, and I can already tell I'm going to like this series! First time reader btw! 😱 I know, its crazy! These books missed my radar due to my obsession with The Secret Garden...

message 3: by Anica (new)

Anica (midknytowl) | 6 comments I love this series and this world, but I have just one pet peeve. Why did she go with Raoul and Roald as names?? Every single time I have to double check which one is which.

All the names in the world Ms. Pierce. Why do you do this to me? :(

message 4: by April Sarah (new)

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one who had that issues! I had to start calling them L and D (the last letters) Just so I wouldn't get confused.

message 5: by Christian (new)

Christian (clsings7) | 2 comments This is my first time reading this book. In fact, it's my first time reading Tamora Pierce. I truly enjoyed reading it, and I am beginning the second book. I am so glad to have decided to join this readalong.

message 6: by Anica (new)

Anica (midknytowl) | 6 comments April Sarah wrote: "Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one who had that issues! I had to start calling them L and D (the last letters) Just so I wouldn't get confused."

That's a great idea! I tried to just say Raoul with a rolling Spanish R in my head, but it didn't work as well.

message 7: by April Sarah (new)

Christian wrote: "This is my first time reading this book. In fact, it's my first time reading Tamora Pierce. I truly enjoyed reading it, and I am beginning the second book. I am so glad to have decided to join this..."

Aaaahhh, I'm so glad you are liking the series and that you decided to join in. Just wait, it continuously gets better!

message 8: by April Sarah (new)

Anica wrote: "That's a great idea! I tried to just say Raoul with a rolling Spanish R in my head, but it didn't work as well."

😂

message 9: by Kelsey (last edited May 04, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Kelsey | 2 comments Reactions to book 1: The writing style, world building, and plot are all incredibly generic so far, but it's addictive to read. It's the sort of book that feels like eating potato chips... you keep turning the pages until you're at the end, and you're wondering where all the chips went.

(I feel like I'm stealing that book reading metaphor from someone somewhere, but I don't know who or where.)

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (musingsofacat) I'm very late getting into the readalong, and apparently late getting to these books as this is my first time reading them. I just finished this one and I loved it. I figured I'd enjoy it but I didn't realize just how much I would. I'm also really enjoying that it's this (for lack of better wording) fantasy-with-a-map type story and world, but it's less than 300 pages. Not sure if the following books get longer but it's nice to have a break from the big tomes I usually see with books like this. Really looking forward to the next one!

message 11: by April Sarah (new)

Shannon wrote: "I'm very late getting into the readalong, and apparently late getting to these books as this is my first time reading them. I just finished this one and I loved it. I figured I'd enjoy it but I did..."

That makes me so excited Shannon. I am glad you enjoyed it so much. For the most part, the first three series are around this size (page count wise) but they slowly start to get longer. ;)