Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Sheri's "I don't have a plan" plan

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (last edited Sep 17, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Sheri | 119 comments I don't actually like to plan too much in advance. At least at the start of challenges, I read what I want to read and then see where they fit. So I'll probably just update this as I go, I'm not adding things ahead of time.

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list - Quicksilver
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link) Artemis
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) - Sleeping Giants
5. A book about or inspired by real events- We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy
6. A book originally written in a language other than English Butterflies in November
7. A gothic novel - We Have Always Lived in the Castle
8. An "own voices" book*: The Hate U Give
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc): Children of Blood and Bone
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) The Bear and the Nightingale
11. A literary fiction: The Red Tent
12. A book set in Africa or South America: Purple Hibiscus
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc): Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire - Circle of Fire
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure - Ship of Theseus
16. A narrative nonfiction: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
17. A book you expect to make you laugh All Systems Red
18. A book with a location in the title: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) Girl in the Blue Coat
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends Ancillary Sword
21. A book written in first person perspective Deadline
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for - Kushiel's Avatar
23. A medical or legal thriller The Surgeon
24. A book with a map: Palimpsest
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view: Six of Crows
26. A book with a text only cover Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) Midnight at the Electric
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water: Maplecroft
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) The Knife of Never Letting Go
30. A short book: Heart Berries: A Memoir
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to Last Rituals
32. An alternate history book The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link) Tea from an Empty Cup
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link) - The Snow Child(book set in winter or snowy weather) 1/3/17
35. A book featuring a murder - Nick Cave: Mercy on Me
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before: A Study in Scarlet Women
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2) The Power
38. A science book or a science fiction book Blackout
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link): Things Fall Apart
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials: The Ship of the Dead
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater - Pirates!
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence - Britt-Marie Was Here
44. A ghost story - Practical Magic
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you - Slade House
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air - All the Birds in the Sky
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own - Rich People Problems
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) - Kushiel's Chosen
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link): The Golem and the Jinni
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer): The Prince and the Dressmaker
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection - What is Not Yours is Not Yours
52. A book published in 2018: The Cruel Prince

message 2: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
I love the "no plan" plan.....I have an addiction to the planning but on day two I've already changed around my original plan as I'm reading, lol.

Last year I ended up reading almost a completely different list from the one I originally started with :-)

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Tracy wrote: "I love the "no plan" plan.....I have an addiction to the planning but on day two I've already changed around my original plan as I'm reading, lol.

Last year I ended up reading almost a completely..."

That's partially why I'm not making a plan haha. Half the time I end up changing my mind. I also like seeing what other people are reading and pick ones that look good.

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Added a few more books to my list. Last Rituals Was not great, but it was set in Iceland which I really want to visit some day.

Ancillary Sword got a number of 5 stars from friends. I didn't love it as much as others, but it was pretty good.

The Power this won a woman's fiction award, it was really good. Hard to read in parts, but really intense.

message 5: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Read a few more books.

Deadline -- first person

Artemis - goodreads choice winner 2017

Sleeping Giants - earth

The Bear and the Nightingale - debut novel

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride - a book with punctuation in the title

message 6: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Added a few more

Blackout - science/science fiction

Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race - all text cover

Midnight at the Electric - surviving hardship (future environmental disasters, dust bowl, world war 1)

message 7: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments I haven't updated in a long time, oops! I edited my main list to add all the prompts I filled.

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Are you a Nick Cave fan? I didn't expect to see Mercy on Me on any list other than mine!

message 9: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Tammy wrote: "Are you a Nick Cave fan? I didn't expect to see Mercy on Me on any list other than mine!"

Yep! I love him so much! :D I used Death of Bunny Munroe for a prompt last year too, haha.

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I have a key chain that says Bad Seed. Best concert knickknack I ever bought! Glad to know there is a fellow fan out there.

message 11: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments For sure! He’s so good in concert too <3

message 12: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Added a bunch of new books, only 6 left!

message 13: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Edited my list, I am finished!