Banging Book Club discussion

2018 Reading List & Suggest books here

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 51 comments Here's the 2018 reading list (also on the group's bookshelves).

Use this topic to suggest books for December or 2019, or just recommend related books you think everyone would enjoy!

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (loser_like) | 1 comments Match Pointe by Indigo Bloom

message 3: by Manic (new)

Manic (manicpianic) | 1 comments Hello Hannah, Leena and Lucy.

I would like to recommend a book for Banging Book Club.

I would love to hear what you guys think of 'The Story of O' by Pauline Reage. It is an erotic novel written by Anne Desclos (using a pen name to protect her) who wanted to prove to her lover that women can write about BDSM and female submission. Her lover Jean Palhaun (an admirer of the writings of the Marquis De Sade) believed that women could not possibly write about such topics so Anne saw this as a challenge and wrote the Story of O in a series of love letters to Jean. He was impressed! For years, everyone thought this book had been written by a man. This raises so many interesting feminist questions: One of them being; in proving that women can write about female submission/male domination and sadism (to the extent where The Story of O has highly influenced the whole BDSM culture) does this send out a message that women like to be submissive and abused? What do women think about love and sex? Would love to know what you guys think. Loving your podcasts by the way and the books you read :-)

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Haglund | 1 comments Beartown by Fredrik Backman. It's about a small town that bacially lives and breathes hockey. Before the season final, the star of the junior hockey team rapes a girl. It's also about masculinity and norms. I was quite sceptical when I heard about it, but it turned out to be one of the best books I read last year.

message 5: by Kashaf (new)

Kashaf Ali | 1 comments Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. It deals with feminism in a very interesting manner.

message 6: by Seka (new)

Seka Korelc | 1 comments I recommend It shouldn't happen to an aid worker. Total sex!

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa | 1 comments I recommend Maurice by E. M. Forster, The SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas, The Descent Of Man by Grayson Perry and Annie On My Mind by Nancy Garden. :)

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Ulberte | 2 comments Hi, everyone!
I'd definitely like to suggest "Call Me by Your Name" by Andre Aciman.
It is one of my favourite books of all time - it is a beautiful coming of age/coming out love story where it's not even important if the main characters are gay, bi or whatever. It's a great representation of the saying "Love is love" :)

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire N | 2 comments Animal by Sara Pascoe

message 10: by Beccie (new)

Beccie | 1 comments Hi, I'd like suggest Birth and Sex by Sheila Kitzinger. Its got really investing things to say about the way medicine has treated and in someways harmed people giving birth by desexing the whole thing.

message 11: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Winchester (kdwinchester) | 1 comments I would love to see The Banging Book Club read Girls & Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape!

message 12: by Echo (new)

Echo Taft (geckotaft) | 2 comments Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson would be a cool book to see you guys read! We're currently reading it in school and it's provoked some really cool discussions.

Trigger warnings: Rape/Sexual Assult, Depression

message 13: by Alanis (new)

Alanis (alanisthegiraffe) | 1 comments Lust by Roald Dahl. It's been on my shelf for ages and I just haven't gotten around to reading it so would be great to see in the Banging Book Club!

message 14: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz (beatriz_blanco) | 1 comments I'd like to suggest The Second Sex by S. de Beauvoir

message 15: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (eclarkie) | 1 comments Tropic of Cancer/Capricorn by Henry Miller!

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace (_gracelatter) | 1 comments I just saw one of Hannah's vids in which she and Sam the Lovely Intern mention 'Two Boys Kissing' by David Levithan - absolutely lovely YA read that tells many stories at once.

I also love 'Animal' by Sara Pascoe (all about the female body, could be fun to discuss) and a possible one for the future could be 'Wonder Down Under' by Nina Brochmann and Ellen Stokken Dahl (published with Yellow Kite in early March!).

message 17: by Georgia (new)

Georgia De | 1 comments Annie on my mind. It’s a really lovely book about a relationship between two girls in New York from 1982. It’s so wonderful but nobody I never hear anyone talking about it.

message 18: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Pattison | 1 comments Would love for Call Me By Your Name to be read! Maybe you could also review the film as a minisode!

message 19: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Schriver | 1 comments Mean by Myriam Gurba would be great

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie Lindsey (kat-the-kitty-kat) | 1 comments UnSlut: A Diary and a Memoir by Emily Lindin.

message 21: by Echo (new)

Echo Taft (geckotaft) | 2 comments Deenie by Judy Blume!

message 22: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (megghan) | 1 comments I have a couple recs that are all very different from one another!

[insert] boy or Don't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith. He's an incredible poet and writes very candidly about his experiences as a Black, HIV-positive queer man. [insert] boy also has a couple really powerful/interesting poems about sex work!

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. Genderless aliens!

The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson, which is the only book I've read about queer motherhood.

When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams, which is a series of beautiful vignettes about womanhood, environmental justice & spirituality.

Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists (essay collection)

The Round House by Louise Erdrich (CW: rape, violence, depictions of structural racism toward Native American women)

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (CW: homophobia)

And I second (or third?) CMBYN! Best novel about desire I've ever read.

Sorry I know that's a lot! :)

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments A Doll's House
'A Doll's House' by Henrik Ibsen is a short play written in Victorian era Norway. It discusses gender and social expectation and obligation. It is not explicitly sexual but does have sexual themes and focuses on marital relationships. Some characters can also be read as queer. It also has a really interesting history. It could be done as a minisode.

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria (mimeto) | 1 comments A bit of a different perspective on some issues raised in the podcast : The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men or Who Stole Feminism?: How Women Have Betrayed Women or anything else by the author Christina Hoff Sommers

she also does youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhtJ0...

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca9393) | 1 comments What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler - deals with high school rape caught on camera and the fall out of that, from everyone at the party where it happened, to the accused members of the basketball team and how they're untouchable and all that shit. Such a good book though. Obviously trigger warning for rape.

For a more light hearted but still amazing book is The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven - deals with sex-shaming and a high school sex scandal and is really funny and full of feminism.

message 26: by brianne (new)

brianne Beatriz wrote: "I'd like to suggest The Second Sex by S. de Beauvoir"

I second this, essential feminist read!

if only some chapters, or at least the introduction, the introduction is even worthwhile.

message 27: by brianne (last edited May 17, 2018 08:31AM) (new)

brianne This has been suggested before in 2017... but..

Whipping Girl by Julia Serano.

- This is a book by a biologist and trans woman Julia Serano. Written in 2008 and is part of the beginning of trans literature in third wave feminism.
-A historic book and worth reading especially 10 years later when we can identify how much has changed in the world of gender in these past few years.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pickett | 2 comments Sally Hughes just interviewed Caitlin Maran about her new book How to be Famous. Sounds like a good one for 2019. Here’s the vid of them chatting about it https://youtu.be/lSirqKn7LMw

message 29: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 51 comments Rachel wrote: "Sally Hughes just interviewed Caitlin Maran about her new book How to be Famous. Sounds like a good one for 2019. Here’s the vid of them chatting about it https://youtu.be/lSirqKn7LMw"

I just read it today and entirely concur. I love how it takes Johanna’s story to a logical next step while tackling really big, difficult issues.

message 30: by Heide (new)

Heide | 1 comments The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed.

It's a YA Feminist book! It's about three girls who bring down rape culture/MRAs at their Highschool. It has fat, latina, queer and autism representation.

message 31: by Leanna (new)

Leanna | 1 comments I'm sure a lot of you already have read it but for the ones who have not:

"GIRL UP" by Laura Bates

I would like to think this book will once be a compulsory read in schools :)

message 32: by Book Ichor (new)

Book Ichor (bookichor) Not out until October (I was sent an arc) but Bloody Brilliant Women is a fantastic non-fiction book that covers lesser known women throughout history.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (nonfictionfeminist) | 2 comments I recommend Flowers in the Attic. It's about changing family dynamics, abuse, sex, incest, all kinds of things. What I love about V.C. Andrews is her style. These are not 'erotic novels,' but the style in which they are written have an erotic feel to them. Would love to listen to your thoughts!
PLEASE NOTE NOT ALL V.C. ANNDREWS BOOKS ARE WRITTEN BY HER. Flowers in the Attic, My Sweet Audrina, and the second series she wrote (don't remember what it's called right now) are the only ones written by her, the rest is ghost writing.

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy (nonfictionfeminist) | 2 comments I also recommend Red Clocks.

It's discussed as the new Handmaid's Tale, but I feel that the events in the book would be the steps taken that lead to the Handmaid's Tale. The style isn't for everyone, it's very stream of consciousness, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and think you might as well.

message 35: by Noa (new)

Noa Hi Leena, Hannah and Lucy!

This is not really a suggestion, because this book does not exist in English. However, I had to share. I'm weirdly sad and glad at the same time because of this language barrier, because I want your guys' thoughts on it, but I also personally believe that it's a pretty harmful book. It's a Dutch book called "Sexy but tired. But sexy" (because over here, English is more hip with the young'uns and stuff) and some of the messages in it are decidedly against my own beliefs.

I have not read this book in its entirety, and therefore I acknowledge I'm only partly informed and biased. However, the passages I did read scared me.

Some of the passages suggest it's important to look you best during birthing a child - at least get your nails done! - or that hiding tummies and cellulite is good or that a genuine way to keep your relationship healthy is by giving blow jobs more regularly, even if you don't particularly feel like it, or like sex in general. Men are like rabbits, therefore they need to have sex. If you're sick or too insecure, sure, shut them down. If that is not the case, just make yourself want it, because men just need to.

The author has defended it as it being just girl talk and it's supposed to be mostly funny, but I think it's more insidious than that - that's just my personal opinion. If it's ever translated, I hope you guys can share your thoughts. If it's never translated, this message has been useless but I'm also happy it's not spread even further (it's very popular over here in the Netherlands). So yeah.

Keep up the good work, girls, love what you're doing!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 36: by Noa (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:05AM) (new)

Noa Hannah wrote: "Hi Noa, fellow Dutch banging book clubber! I haven't read Sexy But Tired. But Sexy, but based on the review I read on Harlot, I agree with you. If the book was in English it would have made an inte..."

Hi Hannah ^^

I just watched that video and I think it makes some issues many people have explicit, which is great. Where I think these kinds of stories and books like Doing It and Melanie Murphy's book tackle this partly social media-induced problem by its roots, I think "Sexy but Tired. But Sexy" implicitly confirms body insecurities by providing "solutions" which are temporary, superficial and harmful. And we haven't even gotten started on the parts of the book talking about sex, kids, sending nudes and drinking :P

I'm sure the author is not mean spirited or anything, and I'm willing to give it a shot if I ever come across it (not paying for it though, hell nah), but I don't see how the passages I have found could be justified. It just comes across as implicit confirmation of this body dismorphia Miss Fenderr talks about, among many, many other things

message 37: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2 comments Would highly reccomend This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel.
Would especially reccomend the audiobook version. Its a family drama exploring trans issues in relation to a young child.

message 38: by Molly (new)

Molly Moore (mollysdailykiss) | 1 comments I would highly recommend Roadhouse Blues: Erotic FictionRoadhouse Blues by Malin James. It is a series of short stories all set in fictional town of Styx, in the American South. It really is a cracking read by an exceptional author of erotic literary fiction

message 39: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Groom (yelyahmoorg) | 2 comments 'Holding The Man' - Timothy Conigrave

Autobiographical novel, 2 men in a relationship who grow up together and talk about their experience as gay men in Austrailia throughout the 70s & 80's and how they are treated during the AIDS epidemic.
Amazing read, plus there is a film that had me sobbing into a cushion.

ALSO

'How To Be Famous' - Caitlin Moran

Just because I loved the sequel and I'd like to find out how you felt this one has grown compared to the first. Plus I love how much Leena connects with Johanna.

message 40: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 51 comments A poll just went up on Twitter to vote for December's book!

message 41: by Julia (new)

Julia | 1 comments Please read Vox by Christina Dalcher!! Its soo good! it has a hadnmaids tale kind of vibe but its completly different.

message 42: by Ele-Beth (new)

Ele-Beth Little I'd definitely be interested to see your opinions on Audre Lorde's 'Zami: A new spelling of my name'. Sexy, sensual, poetic.

Also 'Girls on Fire' by Robin Wasserman. It's about an obsessive adolescent friendship, set in the 90s, full of grungy mix tapes. I think it delves well in to sexuality and exploration, the blurry boundaries where friendship may become more, the difference between loving and idealising someone.