Books & Boba discussion

Monthly Pick > Feb 2018: Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reera, Bookmaster (new)

Reera | 270 comments Mod
For those of you who have already read our January 2018 pick, Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, our February pick is Jomny Sun's graphic novel Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too. As always, we encourage people to share their thoughts in this thread. :)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 111 comments I read the whole thing today, so I’m going to go ahead and share my thoughts. Sweet, melancholy, heartwrenching, heartwarming, and adorable are just a few of the words that I would use to describe this book. There’s a certain innocence to it that I liked, all the while resonating at a deep level at particular plot points about the ways of life. There were several storylines going on at once, but never did that become overwhelming for me, and the times where the stories did cross paths were smoothly effective.

I don’t read graphic novels that often, but I’m glad I read this one.

message 3: by Jess (last edited Jan 27, 2018 10:50AM) (new)

Jess (jbagsy) | 24 comments A lot of thought provoking and humorous lines came out of such a simple drawing style and adorable lolcats-like grammar and typos. I also love how quotable the book is. The porcupine especially had a lot of good lines about making art! I'm sure a lot of creative people can relate.

A random few of my favorite lines:
(view spoiler)

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan Bu | 1 comments Such a cute book with lots of deep thoughts and life lessons. Great pick!

message 5: by David (new)

David (daejin) | 15 comments Loved the nod to The Giving Tree.

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikakcarlson) | 3 comments I loved how this book had so many different subplots and storylines going on. It might seem like a very simple book, since it's a picture book/simple-looking graphic novel, but I thought it was fairly sophisticated in the way it told multiple intertwining stories simultaneously.

Also, it was just such a moving and satisfying read. It nourished my soul.

message 7: by Reera, Bookmaster (new)

Reera | 270 comments Mod
This book was like an energy booster for me. I read it twice to see if the proverbs would lose their impact after the first read, but I actually appreciated the book more in my second read-through.

There were multiple characters and storylines I related to, particularly the hedgehog and egg. We all go through growing pains and self-doubt, and I think Jomny did a great job delivering that message in a beautifully simple and gentle way.

The hedgehog and owl's storylines reminded me of how so many artists from marginalized communities often have some kind of Imposter Syndrome where they believe that their work isn't good enough to be praised or deemed successful. There is this pressure to be exceptional in order to be called a "true artist" because they're representing their communities and culture.

Overall, I think this book has many universal themes that people of all ages can relate to, including loneliness, love, death, friendship, and finding out where you belong.

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina (purplelalaland) | 10 comments I really, really liked Everyone's A Aliebn When Ur A Aliebn Too: A Book. I love that this book is unexpectedly filled with quotes that caused me to rethink and reflect on my life. Much like Reera insinuated in the podcast, time and the life events that one is experiencing in the moment will likely impact the gold that you dig up from this book.

I appreciated the explanation that was provided by the Reera on why Jomny/Jonny decided to leave typos all over the place. I like that it caused me to slow down and really take in the perspective being provided.