Read Scotland 2018 discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali (alicihonest) | 3 comments I read 13 Scottish books in 2017 but I'm going to be really busy this year so I think I'll be safest in the 6-10 range. I love Robert Burns anyway!

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali (alicihonest) | 3 comments So I'm desperately behind on this group, pretty much on purpose. I'm going back to Scotland in August for a visit and I didn't wanna go Too Hard for it too long, so I limited my Scottish book reading/ Scottish music listening. But with only two months left now, I've let myself start getting psyched. So I've just read Winterbringers and Dark Spell, two YA fantasy books. They're of course meant for people at least a decade younger than me but they're very cute and full of St Andrews references, which I loved, and if I were in the right age range I'd probably have been crazy about them tbh.

Actually I just looked at my 2018 shelf and apparently I did read a couple of books that fit in this challenge earlier in the year:
Letters from Skye a cute, sad wartime romance book, and The Rise of the Indian Rope Trick: How a Spectacular Hoax Became History which is not about Scotland but is by a Scottish professor from U of Edinburgh. I was surprised I hadn't heard about this book earlier, since I'm really in to magic history and did my dissertation on it at U of St Andrews, practically neighbors!

So, 4 down already, and I'm just getting started. Maybe I'll have to jump to the next group up pretty soon!

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Ali wrote: "So I'm desperately behind on this group, pretty much on purpose. I'm going back to Scotland in August for a visit and I didn't wanna go Too Hard for it too long, so I limited my Scottish book readi..."

Hi Ali, I’ve just seen this (it’s funny how the notifications work sometimes, they fail to mention some posts). I hope you enjoy your trip to Scotland - what part are you heading to?

I’m incredibly jealous you did a dissertation in magic history, I didn’t know such a thing existed, it sounds more than awesome! I’ve got a lifetime fascination with folklore, faeries etc, and sketch a lot of magical beings. Orkney has an abundance of folklore, including a big history in witchcraft, though it’s often less about magic, and more about poor women being prosecuted for whatever reason. There’s even an evil Earl, who tortured and killed a lot of ‘witches’ who were inconvenient to him, it’s like something out of a book.

Anyways, there’s no rush. Just enjoy your reads and move up a level if you find yourself reading more :)