2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > 2017 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 08, 2018 03:11AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10644 comments Mod

Let's take a look at our results for 2017:

1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
2. What were your most outstanding series that you read during the year?
3. What were your most favorite books read (series and standalone)?
4. What were you the most proud of accomplishing this year?

Jonetta
Melissa
Allison
Laura
Monica
Robin

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1309 comments 1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I had to decrease the number during the year, but I reached the goal I was looking for. I didn't read my goal of reading 5 books that have been made into movies. I only got 3.

I have really enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series and was very excited when I got up to date in the Dresden Files series.

I always love reading the Dresden Files and I really enjoyed quite a few standalones this year. The Glass Castle was one of my favorites.

Getting up to date and finishing series is always an accomplishment for me. I'm most proud that I read as much as I did with so much going on.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I had to decrease the number during the year, but I reached the goal I was looking for. I didn't read my goal of reading 5 books that have been made ..."

Congratulations on a good year, Melissa! I watched you start The Dresden Files and work through the entire series, which is a big accomplishment. Now I’m seeing you do the same thing with Sookie.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I surpassed my Reading Challenge and Series Up to Date goals but fell short on the series completed goal (finished 10 of the 15). I also had a goal of listening to 50 audiobooks and actually listened to 75. I wanted to read more contemporary and historical fiction and I did but not as many as I wanted. Finally, I wanted to tackle more series and achieved that goal through the group reads.

Hands down it’s Cork O’Connor by William Kent Krueger. I’m halfway through the 13th book and it’s still compelling. Also on the list are:
Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly
Romantic Suspense by Karen Rose
Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris
Colorado High Country by Pamela Clare
Will Trent by Karin Slaughter
In Death by J. D. Robb
Southern Comfort by Lisa Clark O’Neill
Everything I Left Unsaid by Molly O’Keefe

I had a lot of great reads. Here are some of them:
Almost a Bride (Destination Love, #2) by Jo Watson Wait for It (Everything I Left Unsaid, #4) by Molly O'Keefe A Mother's Reckoning Living in the aftermath of the Columbine tragedy by Sue Klebold Columbine by Dave Cullen The Sex Bucket List by Prescott Lane The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier The Hating Game by Sally Thorne Secrets in Death (In Death, #45) by J.D. Robb Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman Northwest Angle (Cork O'Connor, #11) by William Kent Krueger Close to Heaven (Colorado High Country, #5) by Pamela Clare The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #14) by Michael Connelly

Keeping up with my group reads, even when I got behind in October and November. I’m really happy with what I’ve done in making that dent in my series. I made a full on collision. I’m also really, really pleased that my reading experience overall was so rewarding.

message 5: by Allison (last edited Jan 03, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) 1. How did you do with your goals for the year?

I'm really pleased with how I did. Even when I didn't meet all of my goals, they still pushed me in the right direction and I accomplished a lot.

My goals for 2017 were:

- Owned: 50 Books - I managed 45, and I'm still very happy with that
- Finish: 12 Series - I went beyond my goal and finished 15, yay!
- Up to Date: 5 Series - Almost made it, I got up to date on 4
- Make Progress: 17 Series - I made progress on 20 that I'd started before 2017, including 3 mothball series that I hadn't anticipated
- Series I start that I plan to continue: 2 Books each - I found this to be a difficult goal to keep. I did manage it on 7, but started many more series than that. I'm not renewing this goal for 2018 - too much pressure. :)

I added a few series to my favorite series shelf and advanced on some that were already there. Oddly they're all fantasy even though I did branch out into other genres, honest!

Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima
Soulfinders by Maria V Snyder
Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
Books of the Raksura by Martha Wells
Court of Thorns & Roses by Sarah J Maas
His Fair Assassin by Robin LaFevers
Paladin's Legacy by Elizabeth Moon

This is always such a hard question! I had a lot of great ones. Looking back, these stand out the most aside from the favorite series already listed above:

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay The Firebird (Slains, #2) by Susanna Kearsley The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith Flame of Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #6) by Juliet Marillier The Hallowed Hunt (World of the Five Gods, #3) by Lois McMaster Bujold Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4) by Michelle Sagara

I knocked out a lot of books that I own, and managed not to add too many to that list without reading them right away. It's my ultimate goal only to buy books when I'm ready to read them soon afterwards, and I'm really close to being able to do that.

I'm also very happy that I accomplished (or almost did) most of my series goals. I feel like I have a better handle on all of my series now and even feel ok about adding new series since I'm not so overwhelmed anymore, thanks to this group.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Allison wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?

I'm really pleased with how I did. Even when I didn't meet all of my goals, they still pushed me in the right direction and I accomplished a lot.

M..."

I’m in awe of how well you did with your goals! You have every reason to be pleased. Congrats on a great year!

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Jonetta wrote: "I’m in awe of how well you did with your goals! You have every reason to be pleased. Congrats on a great year! ..."

Thanks Jonetta! I seriously owe a lot to this group for getting me organized.

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Also Jonetta, it just occurred to me that the longest series I finished last year was 7 books long, and I didn't start it last year either. Reading shorter series makes it sound like I'm doing so well, but I don't think I'm doing any better than those of you with the long-running series that you're making steady progress on.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

If it’s more than three books, the series becomes a commitment. Most of the series I’ve completed aren’t that long. The big ones don’t seem to end so the best I can do is get up to date in them:)

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) Ah yes, and that's where I'm very far behind! :)

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2206 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I surpassed my Reading Challenge and Series Up to Date goals but fell short on the series completed goal (finished 10 of the 15). I also had a goal o..."

You had a great year and it is so impressive how you keep up with all the group reads and lead discussions etc. You have some great sounding books on your favorite list, I will be checking some out; Everything I left Unsaid and The Sex Bucket List for sure. Nice to see The Hating Game stood out to you. I loved that one.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2206 comments My goals for 2017 were to complete 20 -I completed 13. I had to take a few off that I thought were finished but new books came out. I also thought more of my ongoing series would be ending but those keep going and going.
My goal to get current was 10 and I am current in 17.

My standout series are Cold Fury by Sawyer Bennett
Oxford by Lauren Layne
Dive Bar by Kylie Scott
Pucked by Helena Hunting
Tracers by Laura Griffin
Chicago Stars by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Kathleen Turner by Tiffany Snow
Rock Chick by Kristin Ashley
Wicked Games by JT Guissinger

My favorite reads were
The Foxe & the Hound by R.S. Grey Wicked Sexy (Wicked Games #2) by J.T. Geissinger Pucked Off (Pucked, #5) by Helena Hunting Turbulence (Turbulence, #1) by Whitney G. An Ex for Christmas by Lauren Layne Someone like You (Oxford, #3) by Lauren Layne Beyond Limits (Tracers, #8) by Laura Griffin Shacking Up by Helena Hunting Egomaniac by Vi Keeland Rock Chick Redemption (Rock Chick, #3) by Kristen Ashley Rock Chick Renegade (Rock Chick, #4) by Kristen Ashley Lucas (Cold Fury Hockey, #8) by Sawyer Bennett Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9) by Sawyer Bennett Dating You / Hating You by Christina Lauren Dirty (Dive Bar, #1) by Kylie Scott Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

I loved almost everything I read and am happy with my year, but I think I could have been more organized. I'm going to try to improve that this year and not be so all over the place. I have quite a few series that I read one and never went back ( not sure why) Im getting back to them this year!

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I surpassed my Reading Challenge and Series Up to Date goals but fell short on the series completed goal (finished 10 of the 15). I a..."

Thanks, Laura! Have you ever read anything by Molly O’Keefe?

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "My goals for 2017 were to complete 20 -I completed 13. I had to take a few off that I thought were finished but new books came out. I also thought more of my ongoing series would be ending but thos..."

Same thing happened to me with my completed series...kept having to move them to up to date and missed my goal (10 out of 15). I still think you did really well!

I’ve got to start reading all the Sawyer Bennett books I’ve collected over the years. Haven’t read one yet. You have several on my shelf I’ve yet to read.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2206 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I surpassed my Reading Challenge and Series Up to Date goals but fell short on the series completed goal (finished 10 o..."

I have read the first 2 books of Crooked Creek Ranch which I need to get back to. I think that's it.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2206 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "My goals for 2017 were to complete 20 -I completed 13. I had to take a few off that I thought were finished but new books came out. I also thought more of my ongoing series would be e..."

Sawyer Bennett is excellent and she is on my author list to focus more on this year. I don't think you'd be disappointed in diving in.

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "I have read the first 2 books of Crooked Creek Ranch which I need to get back to. I think that's it. ..."

That third book in Crooked Creek? One of my all time favorite books. There’s a novella you must read first. You will love that book!!!!

Also, I highly recommend the Everything I Left Unsaid series. It’s compelling. There’s a cliffhanger in the first book so you’ll want to be prepared to read them back to back. To O’Keefe’s credit, she released them together.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "Sawyer Bennett is excellent and she is on my author list to focus more on this year. I don't think you'd be disappointed in diving in. ..."

Thanks for the feedback.

message 19: by Monica (last edited Jan 06, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

Monica | 860 comments 1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I did not have any goals this year, I arrived a little late to the game.

The Graveyard Queen by Amanda Stevens
Sebastian St. Cyr by C.S. Harris
Ice by Anne Stuart
Horseman Trilogy by Mary Balogh
Sons of Sin by Anna Campbell
The Rules of Scoundrels by Sarah MacLean
The Rogue Files by Sophie Jordan
The Debutant Files by Sophie Jordan

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas A Duke in Shining Armor (Difficult Dukes, #1) by Loretta Chase Indiscreet (Horsemen Trilogy, #1) by Mary Balogh Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon White Hot (Hidden Legacy, #2) by Ilona Andrews What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8) by C.S. Harris When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7) by C.S. Harris Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6) by C.S. Harris What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5) by C.S. Harris The Awakening (Graveyard Queen #6) by Amanda Stevens The Visitor (Graveyard Queen, #4) by Amanda Stevens The Sinner (Graveyard Queen, #5) by Amanda Stevens Once and for All by Sarah Dessen While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1) by Sophie Jordan All the Ways to Ruin a Rogue (The Debutante Files, #2) by Sophie Jordan

I exceeded my goal for the number of books I wanted to read for the year. My goal was 40, and I read at least 58 (I wasn't recording everything all year).

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Monica wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
I did not have any goals this year, I arrived a little late to the game.

T..."

Nice job, Monica! I look at the series you've tagged as most outstanding and seriously want to get back into or start (Ice, Rogue Files).

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica | 860 comments Thanks, Jonetta!

I only have one book left in the Ice series, I've also really enjoyed it.

I think you would enjoy the The Rogue Files, they have a very good mix of plot and steam factor. The Debutante Files is equally good, and I'm hoping she adds more to this series.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2247 comments 1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
My goal was to become up to date on 5 series and complete 15 series. I just made it in the eleventh hour. Whew!

Troubleshooters by Suzanne Brockmann
Mickey Haller by Michael Connelly
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill
Black Ops, Inc. by Cindy Gerard
Spindle Cove by Tessa Dare

My 5-Star books:
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) by Michael Connelly Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Seconds Away (Mickey Bolitar, #2) by Harlan Coben Found (Mickey Bolitar, #3) by Harlan Coben Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling The Hating Game by Sally Thorne Home (Myron Bolitar #11) by Harlan Coben Dark of Night (Troubleshooters, #14) by Suzanne Brockmann Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17) by Suzanne Brockmann The Rake (Davenport, #2) by Mary Jo Putney Blood Vow (Black Dagger Legacy, #2) by J.R. Ward The Thing About Love by Julie James Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8) by Roxanne St. Claire Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11) by Chloe Neill Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5, Castles Ever After, #4) by Tessa Dare Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8) by Linda Castillo The Burning Room (Harry Bosch, #17; Harry Bosch Universe, #26) by Michael Connelly First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

I was just happy that I kept up with my group reads and I finished over 100 books.

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?
My goal was to become up to date on 5 series and complete 15 series. I just made it in the eleventh hour. Whew!

2. What were your most outstanding s..."

Congratulations on a fine year, Robin! I’m envious of you having made all of your goals.

Looking at your list of outstanding books, so many of them are my favorites.

message 24: by Monica (new)

Monica | 860 comments Robin wrote: "1. How did you do with your goals for the year?

2. What were your most outstanding s..."

Good work, Robin!

Three of the series you listed as outstanding are ones I definitely need to go back to. And now I need to add the other ones ;)