Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > The Terror - Dan Simmons (fr. Feb. 1st to March 31)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 448 (448 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Feli, Lena and I will be starting this one on February 1st.
Feel free to join our little group!

message 2: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 479 comments Thank you for starting the thread, Marie-Helene.

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2353 comments February right?

message 4: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Lena wrote: "February right?"

Yes, as Lena and I are still waiting for our respective copies

message 5: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 479 comments Steven wrote: "Is this open to anyone in the group?"

Yes it is. You're welcome to join us, Steven!

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2353 comments It’s a February/March Read because the series starts late March.

message 7: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments I read this one last year, and loved it! It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but here's hoping you enjoy!
And I can't wait for the mini-series to start.

message 9: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3233 comments I'm hoping to join you on February 1st!! I had no idea that AMC was doing a show on this. :D

message 10: by Ginger (last edited Jan 04, 2018 12:08PM) (new)

Ginger | 3233 comments Feli wrote: "Yes it is. You're welcome to join us, Steven!"

I'm also joining the group Feli! I've been wanting to read this for awhile.

message 11: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I will try and join in as well! I own this on my Nook and with this crazy cold weather, it seems like the perfect time!

message 12: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 479 comments Hey all, my copy finally arrived today (it was a long journey ^^).

Glad you're here and joining, Ginger and Alissa! This will be fun!

message 13: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4838 comments Lena wrote: "https://youtu.be/jaRAi5P9lPo
March 26"

Wow, that trailer is pretty cool!

message 14: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Lena wrote: "It’s a February/March Read because the series starts late March."

Lena is right ... and The Terror is a also a 944-page book.
Hence a February/March buddy read.

http://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10647 comments Mod
Oh! I hope y'all like this one. it's massive but so good. i'll definitely be watching the show when it comes on.

message 16: by Adamus (new)

Adamus | 806 comments Glad there’s a BR for this I’ve been wanting to read this forever

message 17: by E (last edited Jan 05, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

E (burner2yourmom) | 5 comments I'm excited about this. Glad it is a February/March read.

Edit - Just figured out Dan Simmons = Hyperion.

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5685 comments Mod
I just saw this thread--I've had the book on my shelf for a while now; this seems like a good "excuse" to read it with a group!

message 19: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1862 comments Kimberly wrote: "I just saw this thread--I've had the book on my shelf for a while now; this seems like a good "excuse" to read it with a group!"

Same here. I think I would like to join in.

*I think I can, I think I can*

message 20: by Annerlee (last edited Jan 06, 2018 04:28AM) (new)

Annerlee | 270 comments I started this a while back but couldnt get into it, even tho I generally love Dan Simmons work. Hoping to join in and try again.

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Annerlee wrote: "I started this a while back but couldnt get into it, even tho I generally love Dan Simmons work. Hoping to join in and try again."

I'll definitely join in on this one--it's more "motivating" when you can discuss the book along with others, imho. :)

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina (zombiekittylives) | 18 comments I have had this in my TBR pile for sooooo long! i will be joining the buddy read too!

message 23: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 479 comments Welcome all who joined us :)

Since this is such a hugh book, it is great to read it with all of you.
Like Kimberly already said, this BR is a great motivation for keeping in reading :)

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Feli wrote: "Welcome all who joined us :)

Since this is such a hugh book, it is great to read it with all of you.
Like Kimberly already said, this BR is a great motivation for keeping in reading :)"

Exactly! I keep looking at it on the shelf, knowing I want to read it, but afraid to pick it up for the length. With others reading and commenting along, it keeps you motivated. :)

message 25: by Sven (new)

Sven | 15 comments Ok, i’ll try to not forget and join , i have iT on mount tbr somewhere already so..
Greetings all 😉

message 26: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 141 comments I just recently read this, so long, but SO good.

message 27: by Carl (new)

Carl | 2 comments I was going to read this book next but I guess I will wait. Never did a group read or whatever this is

message 28: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 730 comments I would love to read this with you guys, but it is so long and I just don't have the time right now. Hopefully someday I will get to it. Enjoy!

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

I have my copy, and will start with the group--yay for peer pressure! (Or I don't think I'd ever start this mammoth book on my own--LOL!)

message 30: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4838 comments I'll probably be about a week late to start myself.

message 31: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2353 comments I have the ebook and audiobook on a hold that says less than two weeks.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Terry wrote: "I'll probably be about a week late to start myself."

(That might be more realistic for me with the other group reads...)

message 33: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1862 comments I think I can pull this off. One of the books I am reading is only 210 pages. As long as my family doesn't commit me to anything, it should get read by 2/1/18

message 34: by Ginger (last edited Jan 27, 2018 05:35PM) (new)

Ginger | 3233 comments I’m hoping to start this on the 1st as well or at least a few days after. I need to finish at least one of my current reads right now.
Can’t wait to start this!

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Ginger wrote: "I’m hoping to start this on the 1st as well or at least a few days after. I need to finish at least one of my current reads right now.
Can’t wait to start this!"

Starting with a group is a great incentive. :)

message 36: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3233 comments Ben wrote: "Got it, and eager to go. This one sounds fantastic."

Yay!! Glad you’re joining the group read Ben!

message 37: by Ginger (last edited Jan 27, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

Ginger | 3233 comments Kimberly wrote: "Starting with a gro..."

I agree Kimberly!

message 38: by E (new)

E (burner2yourmom) | 5 comments I got this from my library about a week ago and kind of started but had to put it down bc it was a February read and I needed to finish other books! Really excited.

message 39: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 479 comments Glad so many are joining!
My copy waits for me, I just have finished two other books and will hopefully finish a third this week and then it's only The Terror and Tommyknockers (still much to read 😌) I'm really excited to get started.

message 40: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4838 comments Feli wrote: "Glad so many are joining!
My copy waits for me, I just have finished two other books and will hopefully finish a third this week and then it's only The Terror and Tommyknockers (still much to read ..."

Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers are still knocking at your door... 😁

message 41: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 479 comments Terry wrote: "Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers are still knocking at your door... 😁"

They definitely are :)

message 42: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments You are all welcome aboard HMS Terror!

All information needed to enjoy your cruise:

* it is a 944-page book. Hence a buddy read over 2 months, and enjoy it at your own pace.

* the book has been adapted for the TV and AMC will broadcast the premiere on March 26 ... Ridley Scott is the producer.

And a big hello to the February 2018 Group Listen (the audio version of The Terror is 28 hours and 35 minutes)

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather | 11 comments Hello everyone. I just started my re-read of this book recently. I've been wanting to re-read it for awhile since it's a favorite of mine, and wanted to get it done before the tv series premiers. Can't wait, it looks so good! I hope everyone enjoys it and I'm excited to discuss it with everyone.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments One of my favorite books. I need to own a copy. I'll definitely be coming back with you guys to talk, I may just re-read it for this.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 186 comments I started listening to, and reading this, on January 25, after I saw the upcoming AMC miniseries advertised. I am totally obsessed with it! I'll be reading nonfiction on the Franklin Expedition too. So I'll be joining in the discussion.

message 46: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments I’m just waiting for my college library to transfer it over from another campus. I wish they’d get on it already I’m eager to get started this is a monster of a book!

Thanks for letting me know there was a buddy read going on.

message 47: by Barb (new)

Barb (barbtrek) | 43 comments I read this a while back & loved it. I had no idea there was a mini-series coming!!!!! I’m going to pull out my copy to refresh my memory.

message 48: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1862 comments I don't think I can do 2 buddy reads at a time. With John Dies at the End and this one. I may do the first book, then switch over to The Terror mid-month or so. We shall see. Ugh.

message 49: by Heather (new)

Heather | 11 comments Vintage Science Fiction Month--January wrote: "I started listening to, and reading this, on January 25, after I saw the upcoming AMC miniseries advertised. I am totally obsessed with it! I'll be reading nonfiction on the Franklin Expedition too..."

I just finished reading Ice Ghosts by Paul Watson. Fascinating book. It covers what they know about what happened to the crew, to all the follow up searches for the missing expedition. And even up to present day and the searches for both the wrecked ships.

message 50: by Kimberly (new)

Alondra wrote: "I don't think I can do 2 buddy reads at a time. With John Dies at the End and this one. I may do the first book, then switch over to The Terror mid-month or so. We shall see. Ugh."

Debating which to start with, myself...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9