The Hufflepuff Basement discussion

Challenges > 2018 Genre Challenge :: January - New Adult/Young Adult

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elley, Prefect (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) | 94 comments Mod
This is a thread to talk about what people are reading for the 2018 Genre Challenge January category - New Adult/Young Adult.

Here's a handy article to explain about the difference between NA and YA. I feel like it's a pretty shady line, so I made the executive decision to expand this month's category to include both NA and YA.

message 2: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 62 comments Mod
Adding to this, here is a list of popular NA books from Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 3: by Ky (new)

Ky (kytimeforbooks) | 9 comments These all look very, um, sensuous. Is that standard for the genre?

message 4: by Elley, Prefect (new)

Good question Ky! I think a common misconception is that NA is just YA with sex scenes, but it's really any book about a young adult going out on their own, whether it's to college, an internship, first job... I would argue that books like Reign of the Fallen would be an NA fantasy, because they were just promoted to Masters and it's their first job out from under the thumb of their mentors. I think a lot of what's classified as YA should really be classified as NA (and that's without the sex...)

message 5: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 62 comments Mod
I'm gonna read Roomies. :)

message 6: by Ky (new)

Ky (kytimeforbooks) | 9 comments I'm considering Queen of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen. Does this look like it fits the bill (I do want to try NA and get a better feel for what it means), and also has anyone read it?

message 7: by Elley, Prefect (new)

I haven't read The Queen of the Tearling, but from reading the summary I'd think it counts as New Adult - she's venturing out on her own to take charge of her future.

For this month's category, I'm reading Caraval

message 8: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 62 comments Mod
Update: I read Roomies. It was absolutely adorable. One of those where I wish I could un-read it just so I could re-read it again.