2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Kourtney’s 50 in 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments Last year I didn’t reach my goal of 40 books but I graduated from college this year and have more free time, so I think I can read at least 1 book a week. I’m feeling optimistic.

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Kourtney & a very happy New (reading) Year!!

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year.

message 4: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments Woohoo! First book of the year down!

1. After You by Jojo Moyes (1/3/2018)

message 5: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Kourtney wrote: "Woohoo! First book of the year down!

1. After You by Jojo Moyes (1/3/2018)"

Congratulations Kourtney!

message 6: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments Susy wrote: "Kourtney wrote: "Woohoo! First book of the year down!

1. After You by Jojo Moyes (1/3/2018)"

Congratulations Kourtney!"

Thanks! I happy I'm getting a good start on completing me goal.

message 7: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments 2. Every Day by David Leviathan (1/13/2018)
This was a really interesting read and at times a bit heartbreaking. 3.5/5

message 8: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Congratulations on finishing your first three books keep up the great work and of course happy reading!

message 9: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments 3. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (1/21/18)
This was my first time reading the book and I loved. I wish I had read it when I was younger though because I know I would have enjoyed it a little more. 5/5

4. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2/15/18)
This book has been on my shelf since last year. I really enjoyed this story because this is one of the first books that I have related to so strongly. I talked about race so openly and realistically. The book was really funny but also pretty raw at times. 4.5/5

message 10: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments Blagica wrote: "Congratulations on finishing your first three books keep up the great work and of course happy reading!"

Thanks! I've gotten a little behind because it took me a while to finish my last book but hopefully get back on track soon.

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments You are doing great! Hoping March is a great month for you.

message 12: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments 5. $2.00 a day: living on almost nothing in America (3/12/2018)
The real life stories of families in this book had me almost crying in the middle of Starbucks on multiple occasions. I had no idea that people where living in such extreme poverty in the United States and was unaware of their struggle to find work despite their tireless efforts. The sacrifices these parents make for their children are incredible, but are also preventable if we had better systems in place such as job training, sick leave, a livable wage, etc. It has called me to action and I hope it does the same for everyone who reads it. 5/5

message 13: by Kourtney (last edited Mar 21, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Kourtney (natural_shorty) | 24 comments 6. Brown girl dreaming (3/6/18)
I love prose writing so I had a lot of fun reading this book. It made me smile but also pulled at my heart. 4.5/5

7. The Baboon War (3/6/18)
I listened to this short story on the Levar Burton podcast. The story was funny and interesting and I think I enjoyed it even more because Levar Burton was reading it. My only problem was I wish it was a little longer because the ending felt a tad rushed, but overall it was a good story. 3.5/5

8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (3/21/18)
This book was better than the last. It was really funny, the twists were great and I love that Hermoine stepped out of her element a little. 5/5

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads.

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May!

message 16: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!!