Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Petrichor's 2018 Classics Bingo

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petrichor (last edited Dec 27, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I'm also going to try this this year. :-)

I started a huge excel sheet where I keep the overview over which books I could use for which Bingo field. This post is going to get filled in piece by piece as I go along.
Edit: Ok, I couldn't wait and filled it all in.

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate ✅ (my review)
The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing (won in 2007)

B2: Children’s Classic ✅ (my review)
Asterix bei den Briten (en: Asterix in Britain) by René Goscinny

B3: Government Banned Book ✅
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (banned in China)

B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV ✅
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (made into at least 5 movies)

B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize ✅ (my review)
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (won the Man Booker Prize in 1998)

I1: 20th Century Classic ✅ (my review)
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett (originally published in 1982)

I2: New-to-You Author ✅ (my review)
Bahnwärter Thiel (en: Lineman Thiel) by Gerhart Hauptmann

I3: Mystery or Crime Classic ✅
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages ✅ (my review)
The Arabian Nights by Anonymous

I5: 18th Century or Earlier Classic ✅
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (originally published in 1597)

N1: North American Classic ✅ (my review)
The Crucible by Arthur Miller (set in Salem, MA, USA)

N2: Classic Short Story ✅
Das Fräulein von Scuderi (en: Mademoiselle de Scuderi) and
Der Sandmann (en: The Sandman) by E.T.A. Hoffmann

N3: FREE SPACE ✅ (my review)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

N4: Classic Play ✅
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

N5: African Classic ✅
City Lovers by Nadine Gordimer (set in Johannesburg, South Africa)

G1: 19th Century Classic ✅ (my review)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (originally published in 1862)

G2: Finest Works of Fiction ✅ (my review)
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry (Finest Works of Fiction List)

G3: Adventure or Action Classic ✅ (my review)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

G4: Group Read ✅
Faust: Der Tragödie Erster Teil (en: Faust: First Part) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (read in March 2018)

G5: 21st Century Potential Classic ✅ (my review)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (originally published in 2005)

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region ✅
Herr Gröttrup setzt sich hin (en: ~ Mr. Gröttrup sits down) by Sharon Dodua Otoo (won the Austrian Ingeborg Bachmann Prize in 2016)

O2: Lesser known book by a famous author ✅ (my review)
The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic ✅
20.000 Meilen unter dem Meer (en: 20000 Leagues Under the Sea) by Jules Verne (set in Antarctica, Bahamas, Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean)

O4: A Classic that you have put off reading ✅
Die Jungen von der Paulstraße (en: The Paul Street Boys) by Ferenc Molnár

O5: Classic written by a Female Author ✅ (my review)
A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

. B I N G O
1 O O O O O
2 O O O O O
3 O O O O O
4 O O O O O
5 O O O O O

Here's my 2018 Bingo Challenge book shelf

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
So glad you have joined us in the Bingo challenge. Hope it is fun for you in 2018.

message 3: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Thanks!
I'm already having fun planning, feels like it was worth it already :-D

message 4: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 75 comments Looking forward to your choices, Petrichor.

message 5: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments My first book for the challenge is done!
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Although I used it for G1 (19th Century Classic), it would also have worked for I2, N1, N3, G4, O4 or O5.
I'm putting this here in case someone is looking for ideas. In that case they can search the page for the Bingo field name and find not just one, but many suggestions.

message 6: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Nice start! Hope you enjoyed it

message 7: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Ok. I couldn't wait and filled in all the books. :-D
Maybe it's of some use to somebody who is looking for books for certain categories.

My self-imposed additional rules:

-) Books have to be read in the language they were originally published in, unless I don't speak that language well enough (i.e. anything but English or German). For that matter, German classics are fine if they are classics in the German-speaking world but unknown in the English-speaking world.

-) Every author can only be "used" once per challenge. Thus, the 25 books have to be from 25 different authors.

Please let me know if I made a mistake and use a book that is not eligible for a certain category. I tried to make sure it doesn't happen and included lots of links to verify.

PS:
Yes, I always make things more complicated than they need to be. I'm a nerd and a scientist. The things I do need to be transparent and accountable ;-)

message 8: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments They look fine to me :0) I think most people here would go for an author only once. As for reading in the originally published language, again those who can would probably wish so. I certainly want to try to because I’ve gotten lazy, always going for the English version ;0)

message 9: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Thanks for the feedback!
Now the only thing left to do is read them all!

message 10: by Petrichor (last edited Feb 08, 2018 11:44PM) (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I just gave up on Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. I got about half way through. The only reason I got this far was because I wanted to finish the book for this challenge, but as I didn't want to go on for any other reason, I finally decided to give up.
Here's my review explaining why.

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie is going to take its place for a book of over 500 pages (I4)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Petrichor wrote: "I just gave up on Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. I got about half way through. The only reason I got this far was because I wanted to finish the book for this challe..."

I’m having a similar issue with Doctor Zhivago. I’m about halfway through and have stalled. Not sure how soon I’ll finish because I’m just not feeling motivated to return to it.

message 12: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I figured this challenge should be enjoyable and not feel like an obligation, so I quit. No point in going on if I can't pay attention anyway. No need to fall into the sunk cost fallacy.
There are plenty more book-fish in the sea.

message 13: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I just finished Amsterdam by Ian McEwan. Highly recommendable!

Next stop: The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. With this book I'll finish Level One BINGO: the Four Corners :-)

message 14: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2517 comments Petrichor wrote: "I just finished Amsterdam by Ian McEwan. Highly recommendable!

Next stop: The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. With this book I'll finish Leve..."

'The Golden Notebook' is one of my absolute favorites, Petrichor, so I hope you enjoy it.

message 15: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments RieRie wrote: "I agree that The Book Thief is a 21st century classic. That book is absolutely amazing."
I'm looking forward to it. I don't know it yet.

RieRie wrote: "I need to check out Amsterdam. I have not read any of McEwan's books yet. Thanks for the recommendation."
I really liked it. It describes some things that are not plot-related in great detail, but it never got boring. And it becomes more and more fast-paced towards the end. My dad read multiple books by Ian McEwan, including Amsterdam. He said he quite liked Amsterdam, but loved some of his other books. It's definitely an author I'm going to come back to.

Aubrey wrote: "'The Golden Notebook' is one of my absolute favorites, Petrichor, so I hope you enjoy it. "
So far I do!

message 16: by Petrichor (last edited Feb 25, 2018 06:27AM) (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Yesterday I finished The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. Here's my review of it. I do not think we are much alike (except both of us being feminists), but it was fascinating to dive into the psyche of this woman. A fascinating book in many aspects. I really liked it and I don't think I would have read it (now) if it wasn't for this challenge.

Also: Level One BINGO!!

message 17: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Congrats on the Bingo and I'm so glad that this challenge helped you find a book that you liked and would not have read without the challenge. That is a success.

message 18: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Thanks Katy!
It is. Thanks for setting up the BINGO challenge :-)

message 19: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments A bingo! Already!!!! Congrats!

And I agree, Juliet Stevenson is an amazing voice over artist!

message 20: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Thanks Veronique!

What did you listen to that Juliet Stevenson did? Any recommendations? I already listened to A Room of One's Own, which she did, too.

message 21: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Quite a few. Middelmarch, North and South, Jane Eyre, Jane Austen novels, etc., and all were excellent. Just had a look at what she has voiced, and pretty much every title is interesting. Haven’t tried one of hers of a modern book but I might try The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock,

There are a lot of really good artists, and a big proportion are actors: Stephen Fry, Timothy West for Anthony Trollope novels, Hugh Fraser / David Suchet / Joan Hickson for Agatha Christie, Greg Wise (Dracula), Ian Holm (The Woman in White), Richard Armitage (anything he reads *lol*), Wil Wheaton (sci-fi - all Scalzi’s books, and Ready Player One), ... and the list goes on. I do consume a lot of audiobooks and they’ve allowed me to double my reading :0)

Oh I listened to Jake Gyllenhaal reading The Great Gatsby and he was very good

message 22: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Thanks for the suggestions!
The Great Gatsby is on my list, I'll try to find the version by Jake Gyllenhall.

And I've read that Stephen Fry read the Harry Potter books. I'm thinking about giving them a reread just because of Stephen Fry.

I've had Ready Player One on my to-read list for a while now. But I was born in the late 80s and am afraid I won't get many of the references which seem to be so essential to the book.

message 23: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments You don’t need to get all the references in Ready Player One to enjoy it. Yes, you’d get an extra layer but it is not essential. I didn’t get all of them although I was a teenager for most of the 80s. Ultimately, it is an adventure in the style of David against Goliath, a survival story where friendship is important, mixing scifi and fantasy. I’d say it is more relevant that you like those genres than have knowledge of the 80s :0). I’m really freaking out about the movie adaptation as I very much doubt they’ll be able to translate it adequately...

Here is a link about all the references/allusions, in case it helps. It is very wide ranging :0)
(https://www.shmoop.com/ready-player-o...)

message 24: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Nice! Thanks for the info and the link! Ready Player One just went up on my to-read list :-)

message 25: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak today and loved it (my review).
This is a book I definitely read because of the challenge.

I especially recommend the narration by Allan Corduner.
Veronique, if you are still interested in audio book suggestions, even if not read by Juliet Stevenson, this would be one.

Only 5 more books to go. I already started The Crucible, but read it as a normal paper-style book, which is why I don't find as much time for it. So, actually, 4.5 more books to go.

message 26: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments I’ve been meaning to read this one. Good to know about the audio - thanks :0)

message 27: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Hope you'll like it!

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

You are doing great with this challenge. I loved The Book Thief too.

message 29: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Thanks, Katy!

I've changed some plans recently, as The Arabian Nights are going to be a group read which I am very interested in, so they are going to replace Midnight's Children as a book with more than 500 Pages (I4).

Also, I finally got my hands on a book I have been meaning to read for many years: The Paul Street Boys. It is a well-known classic in the country I currently live in (and has been mandatory reading in school for more than a generation). It is going to replace Love in the Time of Cholera, as it is a much more worthy contender for the "classic that you have put off reading" category (O4).

message 30: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Only two more books to go: Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China and The Paul Street Boys.

Looks doable right now, although I expected to finish much earlier. I got distracted and read lots of other stuff in between.

The last two books are quite highly rated (4.42 and 4.17). Let's hope I enjoy them as much as the others did.

message 31: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments It was close, but I made it!

Bingo blackout!

Thanks for setting up the challenge, Katy! I certainly read lots of books I really liked which I probably wouldn't have read (so soon) if it hadn't been for this challenge.
First and foremost The Book Thief and Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China, but also Bahnwärter Thiel and Faust: First Part.

message 32: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Congrats on the Bingo, and I am glad that you enjoyed the challenge. I hope you enjoy the 2019 challenge too.

I picked up Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China and look forward to reading it in 2019.

message 33: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I really hope you'll enjoy it, too!

I'm going though some big life changes at the moment.
Unfortunately don't know how much access to and time for audio books I will have in 2019.
I'm still hesitating whether or not I should start the challenge.

I don't like doing things half-way, so I don't really want to start it if I know I can't finish it. But it will certainly be a guideline to the books I choose to read. So, I guess I should keep track of it right away and accept I won't manage a blackout, I guess. Hmmm...

I'm glad you included the non-fiction category, by the way.
I noticed :-)

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Petrichor wrote: "...I'm glad you included the non-fiction category, by the way.
I noticed :-) ..."

You are welcome

message 35: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Petrichor wrote: "It was close, but I made it!

Bingo blackout!

..."

Congratulations!

message 36: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Thanks! :-)