Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2018 > Summer's 50 Books in 2018

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments I didn't get 50 books read last year (and I didn't get that last non-fiction book finished in the final hour), BUT, I had a ton going on and I need to just be impressed with how much I did read considering all the life hurdles.

On the plus side, I'm in the beta-reading process in my novel AND am getting settled into our new house. I'm feeling good about 2018!

I still want to shoot for 50 books read this year, because it's such a pretty goal! So, here's a few mini goals (hopefully I can finish more than two like last year *cough*):

Books on that Books to Read Before I Die list: 5
Non-fiction books: 5
Fiction E-books: 10
Books on my shelves collecting dust: 10

I'm taking off the goal about reading books I love. Sure, re-reading books are great. But oof, I got burned a lot last year and need some time to recover!

message 2: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (trippie) | 443 comments Good luck! I hear you about life getting in the way. Here's to a more steady year in 2018. :)

message 3: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1790 comments Mod
Good luck with ALL of your goals this year!

message 4: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments Stefanie wrote: "Good luck! I hear you about life getting in the way. Here's to a more steady year in 2018. :)"

Thank you! And cheers to that! *Clinks your glass*

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments Tiffany wrote: "Good luck with ALL of your goals this year!"

Thanks, Tiffany! :)

message 6: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 1) Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day by Monica Leonelle

Books on that Books to Read Before I Die list: 0
Non-fiction books: 1
Fiction E-books: 0
Books on my shelves collecting dust: 0

I wouldn't say anything in this book was really all that mind-blowing, but it's always a good idea to read about how other authors succeed and see what is translatable for myself.

It was fun to read the second half of the book, which was her writing journal that she copied from her blog. I don't think there's any way I will ever write the way she does. (For example, she's all about voice recording her books on long walks. I like long walks as much as the next person, but A) Yeah, I don't have the self-confidence to look like a maniac to passer-bys; and B) I have to *see* the words on the page to really get into what I'm creating. I most definitely don't talk like I write!)

In other news, we're completely done with our old apartment! Just have a walk-through to do and then DONE. Which means more time to fix up the new house, more time to write, and most definitely more time to read! *Runs around in happy circles*

message 7: by Summer (last edited Aug 28, 2018 01:35PM) (new)

Summer | 237 comments 2) Indie Book

Fiction E-books: 1

message 8: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 3) When Rains Fall by Cassidy Taylor

Fiction E-books: 2

Sometimes I wonder if I'm too hard to please. I hate so many books that I read, so doesn't that say something about me as well?

But then I read a good book. One that makes me want to turn the page. One that has strong and capable women. One that's written well.

Thank the gods, I finally found one!

Sure, as I said, I'm hard to please. And that means giving five stars to a book is a frickin' miracle.

But this one was a solid four! The beginning is a bit crowded and slow-going, but after that it was smooth sailing and easy to read. Some of the decisions one of the two main characters made was really frustrating, but at the end of the day, I've decided that's on me and not the author (or character). The girl's 17! She's allowed to make stupid choices sometimes!

But seriously, such a good, solid read! (And you know it's good when I'm crushing on one of the characters. Heeeello, Tierri!)

message 9: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Summer wrote: "Sometimes I wonder if I'm too hard to please. I hate so many books that I read, so doesn't that say something about me as well?"

hehehe. Sometimes I have that same thought about myself and my reading. I choose to believe, though, that it doesn't mean that I'm too hard to please or whatever; I think it's more that we have a discerning taste, we want something special, and we don't want to waste our time or mental space with something that's boring or pedestrian.

:D

message 10: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments Tiffany wrote: "I think it's more that we have a discerning taste, we want something special, and we don't want to waste our time or mental space with something that's boring or pedestrian."

Ooh, I like that! Let's go with that! :)

message 11: by Summer (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Summer | 237 comments 4) Indie Book

Fiction E-books: 3

message 12: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 5) To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Books on my shelves collecting dust: 1

This isn't my usual book genre, but a friend of mine insisted I check it out because it's hilarious. And he's right. It really was!

There were a few times that the prose got a little dry for me, but the humor got so good sometimes that I actually laughed *out loud.* You know, instead of just smirking a little.

Good stuff! Not sure I would read another one, as the romance is a bit... Well, it's there, it's just not there enough to satisfy me.

*Shrug* I have a type.

message 13: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 6) A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

Books on my shelves collecting dust: 2

I practically devoured this book! Which feels so nice, because it's rare for me to get super into a novel. Strong characters, both genders, yummy sexy times, and political intrigue at a respectable level (instead of too much snore-festing).

I did have some issues, but they weren't enough to dissuade me from enjoying the read or wanting to finish reading the trilogy. Still, I have to note them:

Bouchet totally doesn't get how Hades works. Look, I get really pissy when people give Hades a bad wrap and put him in the same place as his brothers. Sure, he kidnapped Persephone, and I'm not condoning the action or anything, but after that story? It's always about Hades and Persephone as a team. He totally dotes on her.

So, uh, having him be in an affair with a mortal woman just... pets me the wrong way. Have it be with Zeus? Would absolutely buy it. Poseidon? Yup, could see it, too. But HADES? Uh, no. No no no, you clearly read mythology, so why did you get this so wrong, NO.

*Cough*

There's also a lot of Stockholm Syndrome vibes going on as the main character is kidnapped against her will for half the book by her love interest. BUT, I think it helps a ton that the love interest stopped advancing toward sex every time she told him no in the second half of the book. (Although not so much with the kissing her bit...) And, you know, it helped a ton that he gave her her freedom and all that obvious stuff that really helps get an engine running...

And lastly, I absolutely LOVE that half the army of the kingdom they're in are women. HOW COOL IS THAT?! Thank the gods, someone finally did something so damn obvious and small that just made my day!!

BUT

Then she had one of the female soldiers get all jealous of the main character for "stealing her man" (aka, they had some sex and now she's emotionally hooked and he's not). She does a bunch of juvenile banter with her and (SPOILER) tries to kill her. I just... *Sighs* One step forward, two steps back...

message 14: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 7) Grave Mistake by Izzy Shows

Fiction E-books: 4

If I'm lucky, maybe I'll actually read 10 books before the end of the year! *Sighs at herself*

message 15: by Summer (last edited Aug 28, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Summer | 237 comments 8) Indie Book

Fiction E-books: 5

message 16: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 9) You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero

Non-fiction books: 2

Ooof.

There are a few gems under a lot of rough, but ooooof.

Any time anyone says the words "if you have depression, it's a state of mind and you just have to WANT to feel better," I want to hit them so very hard that their ears ring.

Still, if you ignore all the crazy (and jerky) talk, there's a few decent bits of advice that carry and are helpful.

I'll, uh, will that into being the only parts of the book that exist?

message 17: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 10) Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

Books on my shelves collecting dust: 3

There are very few times where Richelle Mead has done me wrong. This is not one of those times!

The only sad part of enjoying this book is that, apparently, the series wasn't well-received and thus, there's only one other book out and possibly none after that. I hate not getting closure. :(

I honestly didn't know what this book "series" was about when I asked for it for my birthday a few years back. I just knew I needed it because it had Mead's name on it. Turns out, it's got a lot of mythology in it, which I'm just absolutely in love with!

I've been doing a lot of pantheon research for my book, so it's even more awesome than normal. (I've always been a nerd for mythology!)

The two main characters were interesting, unique, and pretty bad-ass in their own ways. I love the slow-burn with them... but again, not getting that closure also makes me hate it, too. *Sniffle*

Anyway, my brain is a bit fried from lack of sleep, so I'm going to end things with a "WHOO, I got 10 books read this year so far. I AM SO AWESOME, SURE."

message 18: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 11) The Changing Tide: Book One of Rogue Elegance by K Dowling

Fiction E-books: 6
Books on my shelves collecting dust: 3

This is one of those cases where it's not the author, it's me. The book is well-written. The characters are interesting. But my attention span just can't handle so many characters. (There are seven PoVs, each taking a turn in a different chapter.)

It definitely gives a more omniscient view to the story, which is kinda cool, but I also felt it gave the characters a disservice because I never really developed an attachment to any of them or empathy for what they were facing.

I would give this book a solid 3 stars for me personally, but I don't think the author deserves that slap in her ratings. She's a good author, just not quite my cup of tea.

I own the second book in the series already, so I might try another shot at it down the way. Who knows, maybe my attention span will improve!

message 19: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 12) Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

Fiction E-books: 6
Books on my shelves collecting dust: 4

I liked this book better than the last two in the series, largely due (I think) to just accepting the fact that I hate the main character's humor. It's lame and off-key, and eh. Whatever. She knows how to write sexy scenes... and sexy men for that matter.

Oof, only 12 books read so far. WHEE.

message 20: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 13) Breath of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

Oof. :/

The first book in this trilogy was really good! It had its flaws, but the pros outweighed the cons.

So, I snagged the other two books... and now I'm having buyers remorse over the third book... that I may never read.

Look, I love happy, sexy times as much as the next person, but, uh, that can't be the only thing in the damn book. (I mean, unless it's erotica, but this isn't...)

Seriously, the characters were like freakin' bunnies!

And if *I'm* saying there was too much sex? There's something wrong. >_> (Also, the cutesy was starting to make me gag.)

Also, spoiler alert ahead:

I don't get why people think a woman getting pregnant after only a couple months being with a man (for the first time, I might add) is supposed to be romantic. IT'S NOT. (It also was the "big reveal" at the end of the book. Because, you know, it's so weird how she's throwing up in the mornings and her man knowingly tells her not to get hit in the stomach...)

Okay, one more gripe: The main character is the ONLY female character that gets to show awesomeness. This annoys me so very much. The only time we get to see a different female character shows she can kick some ass? They kill her off before she can. >_><_<

I just... I don't... *Sighs*

message 21: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 14) Indie Book

Fiction E-books: 7

message 22: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 15) Recipe for Outlining: A Fun & Flexible Guide for Planning your Novel by Megan Barnhard

Non-fiction books: 3

I'm not much of an organized planner, but it's nice to come across a book made for writers that actually addresses *all* writer types! So while this book doesn't help me on every page, it's not *supposed to.*

In other news, I'm considering counting manga for my word count so that I miiight have a shot at... well, not 50 books, but a 50% score would be at least something!

message 23: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 16) Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print by Joanna Penn

Non-fiction books: 4

This was a super short book that had a lot of info in it that I'd already read elsewhere (including by Penn herself), so it wasn't that Earth-breaking to me. BUT, it was still a good refresher and had some great links for me to come back to later when I'm ready.

message 24: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 17) Indie Book

Non-fiction books: 4
Fiction E-books: 8

I'm seriously the grumpiest reader on the planet... but yeah, I've decided to just not type titles in if I don't like an indie book.

I do like books! I swear! ^_^;;

message 25: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Summer wrote: "17) Indie Book

I'm seriously the grumpiest reader on the planet... but yeah, I've decided to just not type titles in if I don't like an indie book.

I do like books! I swear! ^_^;;."

hehehe. We all get in slumps, or have a run of bad picks :)

message 26: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments Tiffany wrote: "hehehe. We all get in slumps, or have a run of bad picks :)"

That's true enough! Hopefully, the tide will change here soon! *Crosses fingers*

Honestly, at this point, I'd just like to read a book that I'm not literally yelling at all the time. *Cough*

message 27: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments 18) Start Marketing Your Book: Best Practices & Core Principles for Authors Selling Books Online by Ella Barnard

Non-fiction books: 5 (I met a goal!)

My last non-fiction book for the year! ... I mean, I might read more. But it was a great book to end on! Marketing is a cringe-worthy topic that I try to run away from far too often.

Barnard is savvy, fun, and helpful!

One of these days, I might actually make an author Goodreads profile so I can talk up these sorts of awesome books more!

(Also, a profile where I only post about books I like... They exist! Look! See! I liked this book! It can happen!)

message 28: by Summer (new)

Summer | 237 comments Books on that Books to Read Before I Die list: 0
Non-fiction books: 5 (I met a goal!)
Books on my shelves collecting dust: 5

19) Storm Born by Richelle Mead

This book was so good! ... Until it wasn't.

Oof, the last quarter of this book was rough. Anti-climatic, love proclamations undeserved and out of nowhere, a hurried final face-off, a lame twist... yeah, I'll, uh, just stop there.

The sex scenes are top notch though!

message 29: by Summer (new)

Fiction E-books:

20) Indie Book

message 30: by Summer (new)

Fiction E-books: 10 (Another goal!)