Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > March 2018 nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1135 comments Mod
It's time for March nominations! There is no theme this month, but please make sure that the book has been written by a woman, is at least 50 years old, and has not been previously read by the group (check the read shelf).

Nominations are 'til the 12th of this month. They are limited to two per person. Please also state whether or not you're available to lead the discussion.

message 2: by Vicky (last edited Jan 02, 2018 10:25AM) (new)

Vicky D (readingwithmrsd) April Lady by Georgette Heyer
I nominate April Lady by Georgette Heyer. Unfortunately I am not able to lead this.
April Lady

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky D (readingwithmrsd) Alternatively, I nominate another by Georgette Heyer: The Black Moth. Again, I regret I am not able to lead this.
The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer
The Black Moth

message 4: by Carol (last edited Jan 06, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 649 comments I nominate:

1. Maud Martha by Gwendolyn Brooks, her sole novel. First published in 1953. 4.07 average rating. 180 pages.
and
2. My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin. First published in 1901. 280 pages.

I can lead if either is selected.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments ☯Emily wrote: "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers"

I read this last year. It was an incredible book.

message 7: by Cam (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:57AM) (new)

Cam | 116 comments I nominate:
* Moderato cantabile by Marguerite Duras, published in 1958, 122 pages.
* The Open Door by Latifa Zayyat, published in 1960, 398 pages. You can read an extract here http://al-hakawati.net/english/storie...

I can lead on either if they are selected.

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 17 comments Hello. I voted for the Duras book but I also noted that it is not 50 years old. If that is the rule, that is fine, but I was surprise to see this book on the nomination list. I read Duras' The Lover" and it was excellent.

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 17 comments Oh, ok, I just read Cam's message. It must have been a reissue date for Duras' book that said 1985. Thanks!