Library Lovers discussion

Let's chat!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 263 (263 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 188 comments Mod
Talk about anything. What's happening in your life?

I know I might seem to be an absentee moderator, but I do check in here every day. Haven't contributed much, I only read 10 books in 2017. I put my goal for 2018 at 20. We will see how that goes.

message 2: by Terris (new)

Terris | 164 comments I haven't been here much lately either, but I'm still reading!
I set my book goal a little lower this year because I'm going to try to get to several classics that I have been putting off, and they are really long! So we'll see how this goes. I just started Doctor Zhivago and I think it's going OK, until I stop to review what I just read and I think "What is going on?"! So I'm going to order the movie from the library to see if that's helpful (I watched it in Jr. High I think!!).
Wish me luck! :)

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Terris wrote: "I haven't been here much lately either, but I'm still reading!
I set my book goal a little lower this year because I'm going to try to get to several classics that I have been putting off, and they..."

You can do it!

message 4: by Terris (new)

Terris | 164 comments Thanks for the encouragement!

message 5: by Fishface (last edited Jan 05, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Fishface | 475 comments I was less than thrilled when my new GameBoy phone told me this morning that it was 4 below zero. By the time I got in the shower it had gone up to zero, though. Let's hit the beach!!!

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris | 164 comments That looks unpleasant!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 731 comments We are having a very cold winter after a few mild winters. Brrrrr!

message 8: by Jerry-Book (last edited Jan 07, 2018 05:38PM) (new)

Jerry-Book | 35 comments Cold here too. Not used to it in Virginia. Next week flying to Hawaii to visit relatives. Better weather I'm sure. Reading
Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson Leonardo da Vinci

for my book club and
Silence by Shūsaku Endō Silence
for my other book club.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Yeah I haven't been too active on here either, been on my horror groups a bit more. I'll be sure to stop by more!

My reading's going good so far, already read 6 books this year (shorter books but still)!!

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) | 18 comments I keep meaning to spend more time here on goodreads, but stuff keeps getting in the way. Having some health issues so not sure how much longer I'll be able to keep doing my library volunteer job; most days I have to do a lot of kneeling (or teetering on a stepstool) & reaching waaaaay back behind a shelf looking for missing books; don't know how much longer my knees & shoulders are going to be able to take it so I'm kinda sad about having to quit. I really love volunteering at the library but the other vol. jobs where that hard physical stuff isn't involved are always taken, nobody but me & 1 other person will do the missing searches. Oh, well.

message 11: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I get this email called "Now you know" every weekday, I just read it and Monday's email was about MLK. I had read it before, and just love this quote from the CEO of Coca-Cola:

“it is embarrassing for Coca-Cola to be located in a city that refuses to honor its Nobel Prize winner. We are an international business. The Coca-Cola Company does not need Atlanta. You all need to decide whether Atlanta needs the Coca-Cola Company.”

message 12: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments So if they don't honor their Nobel Prize winner next year, they're hauling stakes and moving to, I don't know, Detroit or Fairbanks or somewhere?

message 13: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "So if they don't honor their Nobel Prize winner next year, they're hauling stakes and moving to, I don't know, Detroit or Fairbanks or somewhere?"

Explanation: The quote is from when Martin Luther King Jr., won the Nobel Peace Prize. A reception was planned for him in Atlanta. Well prominent white men started calling around and telling people to not come. It looked like no one was going to show up. That's when the CEO of Coca-Cola stepped in and said the above quote. All of a sudden, Atlanta decided it DID need Coca-Cola and the event was sold out. MLK Sr himself almost didn't get a ticket.

message 14: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments Aaaah, that explains a great deal!

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 987 comments Anyone watching the Olympics? I'm just obsessed with figure skating ....

message 16: by Julie (last edited Apr 05, 2018 12:31PM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 731 comments Interesting article on Tsundoku- a term for those who don't read books but surround themselves with them.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/chica...

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 987 comments OMG - I am definitely "afflicted" with Tsundoku!

message 18: by Julie (last edited Apr 06, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 731 comments Came across a cartoon referencing the holiday called Sorry Charlie Day. Turns out it is a real holiday. Oh, the things you can learn on the internet! So Happy Sorry Charlie Day to all of you!

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/...

message 19: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Another reason to prefer e-books. Got a print book from the library. Got really engrossed in it, stayed up all night to finish it only to discover the last page had been TORN OUT. I was so freaking mad and heartbroken at the same time.

message 20: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments What book was it!?

message 21: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "What book was it!?"

Vince and Joy

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 731 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Another reason to prefer e-books. Got a print book from the library. Got really engrossed in it, stayed up all night to finish it only to discover the last page had been TORN OUT. I was so freaking..."

I only read actual books for the most part but I think that is terrible that someone ripped the last page out of the book. I don't think that has ever happened to me.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 731 comments Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
1934-2018
Author
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/28/17...
This was a shock.

message 24: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments I didn't that guy could ever be killed.

message 25: by Jerry-Book (new)

Jerry-Book | 35 comments Ellison, I remember three of his works:

"Repent Harlequin Said the Tick-Tock-Man"
"I have no mouth and I must scream"
"A boy and his dog"

message 26: by Julie (last edited Jul 03, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Julie (julielill) | 731 comments Julie wrote: "Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
1934-2018
Author
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/28/17...
T..."

I remember him mostly for the fact that he wrote the Star Trek episode -The City On the Edge of Forever. I feel I have read other things by him but don't remember what they were. Adding him to my reading list.

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 987 comments Seems that every other celebrity is starting a book club these days. Jimmy Fallon just had people vote (via twitter?) and the book of the summer is
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 731 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Seems that every other celebrity is starting a book club these days. Jimmy Fallon just had people vote (via twitter?) and the book of the summer is
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi ..."

Never heard of it.

message 29: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

message 30: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Seems that every other celebrity is starting a book club these days. Jimmy Fallon just had people vote (via twitter?) and the book of the summer is
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi ..."

I have never heard of it but I have another book by the author.

message 31: by Jerry-Book (new)

Jerry-Book | 35 comments Julie wrote: "Julie wrote: "Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
1934-2018
Author
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/28/17......"

I would suggest his short stories "I have no mouth and I must scream", "Repent Harlequin said the Tick-Tock-Man", and his short book "A Boy and His Dog". I believe the Star Trek story "The City on the Edge of Forever" is considered the best episode of the original Star Trek Series by the fans.

message 32: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments Julie wrote: "Julie wrote: "Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
Harlan Ellison
1934-2018
Author
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/28/17......"

I started with Strange Wine and I think the introduction he wrote to that book, "Revealed at Last! What Killed the Dinosaurs! And You Don't Look So Terrific Yourself" sums his work up so very well. And honestly, it sums up a lot of the reasons anyone ever seeks out a site like Shelfari or Goodreads. That chapter itself is worth the price of admission.

message 34: by Fishface (last edited Dec 05, 2018 07:33PM) (new)

Fishface | 475 comments This is quite the year for book-themed gifts in the catalogues. I've spotted boxer shorts and sox printed like library cards, or just stamped with the due dates, as well as ones with the jacket art from different books knitted into the pattern. I also saw a bookcase pendant that opens so you can see the books inside. Also a plethora of t-shirts and sweatshirts with booky themes of all kinds.

message 35: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 157 comments Sad day! I just found out our small town library had a water pipe burst in an apartment above it. Almost everything was destroyed and the library is closed for quite a while. I had two books waiting for me to pick up and they were destroyed along with quite a few other books that belonged to other libraries. My librarian friend told me insurance should cover 100% but still sad to think of all the books that lost their lives.

message 36: by Terris (new)

Terris | 164 comments Oh, that’s awful!!

message 37: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments Terrible! That must have been some gusher.

message 38: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 157 comments Koren wrote: "Sad day! I just found out our small town library had a water pipe burst in an apartment above it. Almost everything was destroyed and the library is closed for quite a while. I had two books waitin..."

My friend just informed me that the insurance company is taking depreciation into account so will only reimburse 50% of the value of the books and not replacement cost.

message 39: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (librarymomforall) | 149 comments Everyone one in town should donate their books to the library to fill in what the insurance won't cover. And I mean books in excellent condition, not the stuff found in your basements.

message 40: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments It sounds like GoFundMe time, frankly.

message 41: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 157 comments Fishface wrote: "It sounds like GoFundMe time, frankly."

I will have to talk to my friend and see if that is a possibility.

message 42: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments

Happy Valentine's Day!

message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 7 comments I’m new to this group

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) | 18 comments Hi, Christine, welcome!

message 45: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 157 comments Lynn wrote: "Hi, Christine, welcome!"

Welcome Christine!

message 46: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 157 comments Koren wrote: "Koren wrote: "Sad day! I just found out our small town library had a water pipe burst in an apartment above it. Almost everything was destroyed and the library is closed for quite a while. I had tw..."

The latest word about our library is that the building is rented and not owned by the library so they are dealing with two different insurance companies and the companies are bickering back and forth over who should pay for what so they aren't even past that stage yet. The building may be determined to be a total loss and they will have to look for a new site.

message 47: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 475 comments A bigger one, I hope. The old one sounded teeny-tiny.

message 48: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 157 comments Fishface wrote: "A bigger one, I hope. The old one sounded teeny-tiny."

Probably not. Our library is only open 4 hours a day and sometimes I sit and chat with the librarian for an hour or more and nobody comes in. Since most people have internet on their phones and also can download e-books the traffic has really slowed down. I worry if they will even rebuild.

message 49: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 987 comments Oh, Koren, this is truly tragic! Here's hoping that your library is able to rebuild its collection and find a suitable location to reopen to the public.

message 50: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 157 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Oh, Koren, this is truly tragic! Here's hoping that your library is able to rebuild its collection and find a suitable location to reopen to the public."

Thank you. I'm not going to be ordering many books for now as I have to go 15 miles to pick them up.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6