Witcher Buddy Read discussion

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
This topic is about The Last Wish
The Last Wish: SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cass Burton (cassburton) Spoilers spoilers and spoilers! Discuss away!!!

message 2: by Josh (last edited Jan 03, 2018 05:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josh | 8 comments Thought I'd get the ball rolling! If you haven't finished 'The Witcher' yet ***spoilers ahead***

I get the impression that Geralt doesn't want Iola to perform the trance as he knows what will be seen... I feel Geralt is already aware of his potential future at this point.

Also, Geralt has mother issues for sure, hence Nenneke's protectiveness of him.

Meekachii | 3 comments I agree. It seems as though he doesn't want the trance to happen for another reason than him just being a non-believer. Otherwise why not just do it and prove himself right? Just a side note I'm really enjoying the way the story is written so far. So much detail and depth but placed so simply where you don't even know it's happening . I love stories like that! I can't wait to continue reading!

Timibibi (seriousbookishnonsense) | 5 comments I think you're right. I think he just knows what his life is, and it's not like this big adventure, he's just a guy, who just does his job, which happens to be killing monsters :D
I really like his character though. He's a good guy, but he's got no problem killing random people, or that Ostrit guy, just so it would make his fight with the striga easier. When he was asked when he'll go try reverse the curse, and said after the full moon, cause then it'll be full and slower... your typical hero would have gone straight away cause one more full moon means one more person dead. I like that he's a guy with good morals, but still, he's just a normal person, not some hero, he's just doing his job. It's definitely something I'll have to get used to, but it's nice to read a fantasy story that's not about saving the world, just tells the life a normal person :)
Two questions though... at the end of his fight with the striga.. do you guys know why he bites her? I though maybe it was just weird for me, but then Velerad asks it too.
And the other... why does everybody hate witchers? I though it might be because they do magic and stuff and they don't understand it and are scared of them.. but it doesn't seem to be the case of those other people that can use magic and the king calls when the striga first appears.

message 5: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Brooks | 8 comments Mod
Timibibi wrote: "I think you're right. I think he just knows what his life is, and it's not like this big adventure, he's just a guy, who just does his job, which happens to be killing monsters :D
I really like his..."

I completely agree! Geralt is such an interesting character because he's not "pure" by a lot of our character standards. Many of the situations he's presented with don't have a set right path, which I think is more realistic to real life.

Also, the mom issues...:O

I don't remember off the top of my head if him biting the striga gets referenced later, but I don't think it does. To me, it was one of two things. One, Geralt was just trying to protect himself because he was bleeding so much and wanted to make sure she was too weak to come after him when he bandaged his wound (or feinted, which he did :D). Or he was trying to weaken her enough to help alleviate her monster instincts...if that makes sense. Because up until that point, she was fighting him, but then she just starts crying after that.

Idk for sure though! The book often leaves things unanswered so that the reader can come to their own conclusions :)

Aline (thousanduniverses) I thought that Gerald bit the striga to weaken her by transferring some of the potions he drunk earlier from him into her bloodstream.

message 7: by Sateem ó_ò (new)

Sateem ó_ò (tooma326) | 3 comments I'm a bit confused about the end of "A GRAIN OF TRUTH". Did Nivellen actually kill the girl and her father and just didn't remember and thought of the events as bad dreams? or did Vereena kill them?
Also, about the curse, how was it lifted exactly? I know it got something to do with "true love", but shouldn't that lift the curse before? Nivellen already told Geralt that he and Vereena were in love.

Merel (merelmarie) | 3 comments Fatimah wrote: "I'm a bit confused about the end of "A GRAIN OF TRUTH". Did Nivellen actually kill the girl and her father and just didn't remember and thought of the events as bad dreams? or did Vereena kill them..."

I read the "true love" bit that lifts the curse as the ultimate act of love, which is to die for someone you love. I was confused about that story too, however, as it just wasn't very clear to me what Vereena was and what her intentions were, especially as she did apparently love Nivellen.

I think that Vereena killed the girl and her father, which is also why Vereena was killed in the end?

message 9: by Sateem ó_ò (new)

Sateem ó_ò (tooma326) | 3 comments Merel wrote: "I read the "true love" bit that lifts the curse as the ultimate act of love, which is to die for someone you love. ..."
Yeah, you might be right, and her death is what lifted the curse.
perhaps we will learn more about her kind in future stories or books that will shed light on the mind controlling and killing confusion.