Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > SF&F 2018 TV News & View

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

New year, same old show?

A lot of the 2017 shows return right off the bat. Seems to me there used to be a longer break over December/January.

Anyway, Fox revives The X-Files on Wednesday.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to know why the aliens didnt invade in 2012...if i rember right that was the date established in season 8 or 9...

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Spooky1947 wrote: "I want to know why the aliens didnt invade in 2012...if i rember right that was the date established in season 8 or 9..."

They did invade but it was all covered up by the smoking man.

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Nooooooooooo! They're showing X-Files at the same time as Blacklist. Well, good thing I love X-Files. I guess I'll watch Blacklist On Demand. I don't have record on my box, boooo.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 14, 2018 07:27PM) (new)

Falling Water returns to USA for season 2 tonight.

The Magicians returns to SyFy Wednesday for season 3.

Fox renewed The Gifted for a 2nd season.

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Good news on the Gifted. I was hesitating when I found out their rating kept decreasing and you know, Fox.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Oh yes! I loved that movie! And we'll have Daveed Diggs too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2018 05:23AM) (new)

Black Lightning , the CW's latest show from DC Comics, debuts Tuesday.

PK Dick's Electric Dreams is now streaming on Amazon.

Counterpart premiers on STARZ. (The network previous sneak-peaked the 1st episode, this starts the weekly show by repeating the 1sr.)

Hulu renewed Runaways.
AMC renewed The Walking Dead.

Beyond returns to Freeform for 2nd season.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2257 comments Thanks!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

STARZ's Counterpart was a mildly interesting tease. Veteran character actor JK Simmons (bandleader in Whiplash, who I keep confusing with the late Harry Morgan) has a strange & boring job whose point he doesn't understand. (I kept waiting for Bob Hoskins to show up to repair the ducts.) It takes about 20min to explain its premise (view spoiler) I guess I'll watch ep 2 and see.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 13, 2018 06:58AM) (new)

For those of you who don't have enough to watch, Stargate Command this week is debuting its first original streaming series, Stargate: Origins, a prequel to the movie & TV shows ("the adventures of young Catherine Langford when the Stargate is first discovered".)

(Since according to the movie nobody could figure out how to make the Stargate work back then, I presume these will be terrestrial adventures.)

The Stargate Command All-Access Pass lets you stream the new show as well as all the previous incarnations of Stargate, for a one-time fee of $20.

This streaming stuff is getting out of hand. Just saying.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 21, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Consider Phlebas (Culture, #1) by Iain M. Banks According to Hollywood Reporter, Amazon is developing a video series based on Iain Bank's Consider Phlebas :

'Consider Phlebas' TV Series in the Works at Amazon

'Consider Phlebas' is Amazon's next stab at must-see sci-fi TV

Considering I read that book and never read another Banks novel, I'm sure you can sense my excitement.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

FYI, iZombie's 4th season debuts on the CW Monday (26th).

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) And The Walking Dead returns tomorrow!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

G33z3r wrote: "FYI, iZombie's 4th season debuts on the CW Monday (26th)."

Seattle surrounded by a wall to keep the Zombies in reminds me a lot of Boneshaker. :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2018 01:15PM) (new)

Freeform's Marvel's Cloak & Dagger has a trailer. Premier's June 7.

message 18: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 473 comments SyFy's "The Magicians" has been renewed for Season 4! Yay! Really, really enjoyed last night's episode which was 6 different stories crossing over each other! Next week--musical!!!!

message 19: by Garyjn (new)

Garyjn | 88 comments The Terror, based on the book by Dan Simmons, is debuting on AMC on March 26. Loved the book, 5 ★, hope the series lives up to it.

message 20: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 271 comments Garyjn wrote: "The Terror, based on the book by Dan Simmons, is debuting on AMC on March 26. Loved the book, 5 ★, hope the series lives up to it."

Finally! Thanks for the news. I absolutely loved the book and I've been waiting for this since it was announced, so long ago (2013) I've thought several times it would never actually be made.
There's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnN7A...
It looks fantastic, and the cast is great. Seems like it will be well worth the wait!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hulu added the BBC pre-apocalyptic police procedural Hard Sun to its shows today (March 7).

Netflix opens season 2 of Marvel's Jessica Jones Thursday (March 8.)

And time-travel drama Timeless returns to NBC this Sunday (March 11).

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

For any fans of The Librarians out there, it looks like TNT is closing the book. The producers are shopping it to other venues. The Librarians Cancelled by TNT After 4 Seasons, Will Seek New Home

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2257 comments I've watched "The Librarians" & thought it was about time to end it. Actually, a couple of seasons ago was. My wife pretty much quit watching it then.

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2728 comments Jim wrote: "I've watched "The Librarians" & thought it was about time to end it. Actually, a couple of seasons ago was. My wife pretty much quit watching it then."

I'm also losing interesting in it. We have a bunch of episodes recorded but no urge to catch up.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2257 comments You're not missing much. I think I caught up with them when I was sick & finishing up a knitting project. Fun background noise.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

From last night's Late Night, it seems Paul Giamatti And Stephen Colbert are Science Fiction Nerds. Like, old science fiction nerds.

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2728 comments I knew Colbert was a LotR nerd, didn't know he was into SF too :)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) G33z3r wrote: "From last night's Late Night, it seems Paul Giamatti And Stephen Colbert are Science Fiction Nerds. Like, old science fiction nerds."

That's awesome. I just got a copy of The Compleat Bolo by Keith Laumer in the mail. As for Henry Kuttner I have The Dark World and Destination: Infinity (AKA Fury) lying around somewhere.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 18, 2018 08:49AM) (new)

SyFy's Krypton premiers this Wednesday (after The Magicians.)

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 20, 2018 05:38PM) (new)

FreeForm's upcoming Marvel's Cloak & Dagger has a new trailer. Debut June 7.

And speaking of FreeForm, their Shadowhunters returns for season 3 tonight. Sorry for the short notice; maybe you can catch the rerun.

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 20, 2018 08:28PM) (new)

Also, GRRM's TV series has a new trailer. No, not that series, this other, new series: SyFy's NightFlyers, First Look. "A Haunted House Story in Space." Coming this fall, no exact date yet.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 28, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

FreeForm (US) continues its flirtation with genre with the premier of Siren tonight (Thursday). Hint: She's a mermaid.

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 01, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

The Crossing premiers on ABC Monday. Time traveling refugees.

Legion returns for a new season on FX Tuesday.

Netflix has a new SF movie streaming The Titan, genetically re-engineering humans for living on Saturn's largest moon.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:08PM) (new)

The CW gave renewals to all its current superhero show (Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, & Black Lightning) plus Supernatural (Variety). No decision on iZombie (it just started its current season) and The 100 (which returns for a new season in a couple of week.)

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 525 comments That’s going to be what 14 seasons got Supernatural??

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 07, 2018 06:45AM) (new)

If you're in the UK, BBC is running a 4-part adaptation of The City & The City, bingable on BBC's iPlayer in UK.

I haven't seen anything about a US partner planning to run it.

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori (loriann25) | 19 comments Has anyone watched Travelers on netflix it seems pretty good haven't got that far into it yet.. I started watching Legion and it kind of gave me a headache trying to figure out what was going on.

message 38: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments BBC is filming a new version of War of the Worlds that is supposed to air later this year in the UK. No clue when or what channel it will be on in the US. For the first time, an adaptation is keeping the book's setting rather than updating it to the present.

message 39: by Tim (new)

Tim Terry | 11 comments That is nice to hear. I don't think that I have ever seen it done in it's original setting.

message 40: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 473 comments Lori wrote: "Has anyone watched Travelers on netflix it seems pretty good haven't got that far into it yet.. I started watching Legion and it kind of gave me a headache trying to figure out what was going on."

It's on my list to try this summer.

message 41: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments Tim wrote: "That is nice to hear. I don't think that I have ever seen it done in it's original setting."

That's because it's never been done.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

In addition to Westworld on HBO, Into the Badlands returns to AMC for a 3rd season this Sunday. And CW's The 100 returns for season 5 on Tuesday.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

USA Network's Colony returns for season 3 this Wednesday.

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

AMC premiers James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction series tonight (US). Part 1: Aliens. Judging from the guests, one could append "in the movies" to the title. Sorry for short notice, but it re-runs Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2257 comments I should have caught it on the DVR. Don't know when I'll get around to watching it, though.

message 46: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 473 comments G33z3r wrote: "AMC premiers James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction series tonight (US). Part 1: Aliens. Judging from the guests, one could append "in the movies" to the title. Sorry for short notice, but it re-..."

It was pretty good. They had some quite a few stars (as well as people I'd never heard of) talking about sci fi movies as well as sci fi in general. Learned some fun facts along the way. I'll definitely watch the other episodes.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Prior to next week's pile of broadcaster announcements at the upfronts, CW has renewed The 100 for another season.

Conspicuous by its absence is an announcement on iZombie. Possibly a bad sign for that show.

The CW is expanding its lineup to include Sunday nights next year, so they still have some timeslots to fill.

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2257 comments I watched the first of James Cameron's "Story of Science Fiction" & liked it. It was nice to see Gary K. Wolfe, the author of How Great Science Fiction Works albeit for a short comment, plus a lot of other well known figures. It was a little light on content, but not as bad as most shows of this sort.
http://www.amc.com/shows/james-camero...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

The US broadcast networks are cleaning the decks ahead of next weeks advertiser upfront presentations for next season's shows.

The Exorcist, Lucifer, The Inhumans, The Crossing, The Last Man on Earth & The Expanse were the three SF/F shows cancelled Friday. Once Upon a Time and The Originals were already known to be ending this season.

message 50: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments Gotham is supposedly on the bubble, and the only thing keeping it from having been cancelled already is the possibilty that Fox's TV adaptation of Lethal Weapon seems to be self-destructing.

« previous 1 3