Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > 2018 Chit Chat - Anything goes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 459 (459 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jul 27, 2020 05:53PM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3348 comments Mod
Just keep it clean you maniacs.

Links to previous chats below:

Chit chat 2017

Chit Chat #2 -- Talk about anything

Chit chat

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 292 comments I am hoping to get back into posting now that we have a fresh year - kinda fell off the face of the earth for a few months....

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments So they're going to be filming the new Ted Bundy biopic across the river from me in Cincinnati and Zac Effron is playing Bundy.

Really?!?

message 4: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments Erin wrote: "So they're going to be filming the new Ted Bundy biopic across the river from me in Cincinnati and Zac Effron is playing Bundy.

Really?!?"

I'm wondering why we need another one of these. Ted's pretty old news and he's already been played by Mark Harmon, Cary Elwes, Christian Slater, Michael Reilly Burke and some guy named Marsters.

message 5: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Yes, Bundy books are getting long in the tooth. Now that Manson is dead there could be more secrets we might learn in book form. That could be interesting though.

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments The funeral for the officer killed last week in Denver was today, part of it live-streamed for those who couldn't get in. In addition to him, four other officers and two civilians were shot, and the perpetrator was shot. It was reported as a 'domestic' but news now says it was some kind of set-up or retribution. Looking for more info on this as it comes out.

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments I heard it was a set-up too, but retribution? Against those officers or against all police, I wonder?

message 8: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments The body of Kimberly Graves, a local woman missing since early December, has been found in Lory State Park, which is behind my house and to the north a bit - I hike there and in adjoining areas fairly regularly. House has been ransacked, cause of death ruled a homicide. In a city of 160,000 that experiences fewer homicides per year than you can count on one hand (usually), every one is a shocker.

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments That is WAY too close to you, Kathy!!!

message 10: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments Yeah, it's distressing, although it sounds to me like an acquaintance crime, and the local PD has stated that they do not believe the community is in any particular danger. I didn't know the woman, but her picture has been all over the place for a month as friends & family put her forward as a missing person. Such a shame for it to end this way.

message 11: by Dannibal (new)

Dannibal | 25 comments Hi all; I didn't see an introductions thread....so thought I'd comment in here; hope that is okay. I'm new to the group...been on Goodreads for about 2 years but not very active and trying to change that this year. I read a lot of different genres, including true crime (mostly about serial killers). I'm currently making my way, slowly, through the book "Raven: The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and his People" by Tim Reiterman.

message 12: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 546 comments Hello, Dannibal,
Welcome to this group.
HB

message 13: by Dannibal (new)

Dannibal | 25 comments Thanks. :)

message 14: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Dannibal wrote: "Thanks. :)"

Welcome Dannibal!

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments Welcome Dannibal! I keep meaning to read Reiterman's book...how are you liking it?

message 16: by Dannibal (new)

Dannibal | 25 comments Fishface wrote: "Welcome Dannibal! I keep meaning to read Reiterman's book...how are you liking it?"

Thank you Rita and Fishface. :)
I'm enjoying the book so far. It's quite thorough and I am finding it interesting. My only issue is that it is too big to carry with me when I go places (i.e. the doctor's office), so I don't get to read it as often as I do a smaller paperback, haha.

message 17: by Fishface (last edited Jan 13, 2018 11:54AM) (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments Dannibal wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Welcome Dannibal! I keep meaning to read Reiterman's book...how are you liking it?"

I'm enjoying the book so far. It's quite thorough and I am fin..."

Do I ever know what that problem is like!

I was driving to the chiropractor's and heard part of today's installment of "This American Life" on NPR, an episode called "Believing." I was going to turn it off because it sounded like a boring diatribe on parenting and keeping your good kids away from the evil ones who smoke and play cards, but it turned into something far more sinister. This couple hired a basketball coach named A.J. Lawrence for their 14-year-old son, who immediately informed him during a practice that the demons and trolls and la de da in his game of World of Warcraft are real, they come from hell, and by playing that game you risk letting a demon inside you. The kid when to his mom in tears and demanded to know why she let him play such an evil game. She told A.J. never to speak to her son about religion again, and he promised, but he started up again immediately and Cody just kept it under his hat. For years. Before long Cody was living in terror that his dad was working for the Bavarian Illuminati and that he might wake up one day with an RFID chip in his brain controlling his every thought. He bought every word this guy said to him, and all of it was bat-feces insane. They finally found out what was going on and fired the guy, but the kid was furious because he was so attached to him and begged them to let him back into their lives so they could thrash it all out together. He was previously a straight-A student but right after Lawrence was banished from his life, he scored a 26 on a test and started seriously decompensating. He left school on a medical leave of absence and finished late, then came home from college after he called his mom one day in a panic and she drove up to find he was sleeping under his bed, he was so afraid of the Illuminati.

They eventually sued him, with Cody's full cooperation, for causing psychological distress. And won.

I really need to find a book about this, but I don't see where there is one. But look what I did find without even looking hard:

https://myhero.com/AJ_TES_es_06_ul

message 18: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1078 comments Fishface wrote: "Dannibal wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Welcome Dannibal! I keep meaning to read Reiterman's book...how are you liking it?"

I'm enjoying the book so far. It's quite thor..."

This is such an uplifting story and I would love to read about it.

message 19: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Dannibal wrote: "Hi all; I didn't see an introductions thread....so thought I'd comment in here; hope that is okay. I'm new to the group...been on Goodreads for about 2 years but not very active and trying to chang..."

Hi Dannibal, I had created an introductions thread, the last time anyone posted in it was 2016 so it was moved into the "Really Old Posts" folder and locked. I copied your post into it and moved it here and unlocked it.

Welcome to the group!

message 20: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I was having trouble looking at threads, only old discussion threads were showing up. If that is happening to you, log out and then log back in. It fixed the problem for me.

message 21: by Dannibal (new)

Dannibal | 25 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Dannibal wrote: "Hi all; I didn't see an introductions thread....so thought I'd comment in here; hope that is okay. I'm new to the group...been on Goodreads for about 2 years but not very active an..."

Okay....ant thank you! :)

message 22: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments One of the Circuit Court prosecutors I used to work with when I ran the rape-crisis center has transferred over to Juvenile Court and we had a long talk about old times. He said he was thrilled with the way the tide is finally turning against sex offenders -- he says that "Oddly enough, I think we have Trump to thank for that to some extent." We were comparing statistics -- I would see 500 rape or sexual-harassment victims a year and see maybe one of those go to court. He sees one out of 100 with charges filed lead to a trial. he also commented on what he's been hearing on sports radio call-in shows. When the Jerry Sandusky thing hit the presses, listing less than 5 male victims, everyone and his hamster was calling in and saying the guy should be strung up along with everyone who stood by him. Sure enough, that happened -- they all lost their jobs and got prosecuted. Now, with Larry Nasser busted with something like 85 charges against him and as many as 1,000 victims -- silence. Total silence. And the people who knew about it and said nothing? All still in their jobs. He said, "If that's not a double standard, what is?"

message 23: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 546 comments What a telling comparison.

message 24: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Has anyone tried 19 Crimes wine? I had never heard of augmented reality. My daughter in law has now informed me. Apparently you can hold your phone up to the wine bottle and the bottle becomes animated. She is going to bring me a bottle this weekend. Scroll down to see a video of this.

http://wyrk.com/anyone-have-19-crimes...

message 25: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments Becomes animated? Does it get up and walk around or what?

message 26: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 546 comments No, it only talks, or mumbles, more like.

message 27: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments I'm afraid to even ask what a wine bottle would say.

message 28: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Fishface wrote: "I'm afraid to even ask what a wine bottle would say."

Check out the link.

message 29: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments While looking at online news stories about the Turpin family, I was surprised and pleased to see that Callahan Walsh has started working as an advocate for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. It's a nice tribute to the years of work his dad John has done and the brother Callahan never met...

message 30: by Fishface (last edited Feb 08, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments I wish everyone would stop using the word "emaciated" to describe the Turpin children. They're not emaciated at all. That word describes a walking skeleton sort of deal, someone suffering from acute starvation. When you hear that word you should think of the people looking out through the barbed wire of a concentration camp. What the Turpin kids are are is stunted. If you can seriously mistake a 29-year-old for a middle schooler, that's because the person's growth has been stunted.

message 31: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments I'm adding Family secrets: the dionne quintuplets' autobiography to the TC shelves after all. It's a messed-up story. You Canadians ought to be ashamed.

*glares suspiciously at Rita*

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments Hello everyone, I have had a hellish day today. I quit my dream job because I was falsely accused of stealing. I have never had my integrity challenged like this before. I'm heartbroken.

message 33: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Erin wrote: "Hello everyone, I have had a hellish day today. I quit my dream job because I was falsely accused of stealing. I have never had my integrity challenged like this before. I'm heartbroken."

Oh Erin. I'm so sorry to hear this. Things happen for a reason. Maybe bigger things are in store for you.

message 34: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments I hope you're right Koren but right now I just feel so low.

message 35: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 546 comments That's terrible, Erin. The situation sounds very unfair. Do you have any recourse? Anyone to help you?

message 36: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments I don't know, I feel completely helpless. I've never been accused of something like this. I'm shell shocked.

message 37: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments Erin, that's terrible! But the fact that you quit shows you're not helpless. What is it they're missing (besides a clue about who stole whatever it is)?

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments I asked them how much money was missing and they said they couldn't tell me. I asked them if they had any evidence and they said they couldn't tell me.

I talked to a lawyer friend and she said it sounds like bulls***.

I just don't like having my honesty & integrity questioned.

Thanks for letting me vent.

message 39: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Erin wrote: "I asked them how much money was missing and they said they couldn't tell me. I asked them if they had any evidence and they said they couldn't tell me.

I talked to a lawyer friend and she said it ..."

message 40: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 546 comments Do you have an effective human resources department that might be impartial (most often, these days, HR is a tool of management...)?
Or some sort of ombudsman you can talk to?

message 41: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Erin wrote: "I asked them how much money was missing and they said they couldn't tell me. I asked them if they had any evidence and they said they couldn't tell me.

I talked to a lawyer friend and..."

Thank you. : )

message 42: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments Wait, aren't you a librarian? Is there a safe full of doubloons in the back of the Poetry section or something?

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments The HR woman was the one who accused me. She looked at me like I dirt under her feet.

I was never a problem employee so I had very little contact with her before.

I'm just worried about the effect this may have on my reputation and career.

She also said they reserve the right to press charges.

Its been a bad 24 hours.

message 44: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments They also reserve the right to prove in court that you did it. They probably know that. Snap up another job ASAP while your name is still clear and show 'em that all they lost was a good employee. Dollars to doughnuts the money will start disappearing again and they'll accuse someone else. We've had a lot of embezzlement cases in this area the past few years, and more than once it's transpired that the real thief threw someone else under the bus when the head office started to get suspicious. The real thief, however, is the one who always proves to have money in the bank that they can't account for.

message 45: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "They also reserve the right to prove in court that you did it. They probably know that. Snap up another job ASAP while your name is still clear and show 'em that all they lost was a good employee. ..."

I second this.

message 46: by Tabsie (new)

Tabsie | 1 comments Fishface wrote: "I wish everyone would stop using the word "emaciated" to describe the Turpin children. They're not emaciated at all. That word describes a walking skeleton sort of deal, someone suffering fro acute..."

Hi, Fish!

Emaciated - Abnormal thinness caused by lack of nutrition or by disease. From Latin: Emaciare - "e" (a change from one state to another, a variation of "ex") and "macies" (leanness).

I did a Google search of the family photos - I have to say, I don't appreciate that people posted pictures of the kids without their faces blurred. I've intentionally avoided any photos that show their faces.

ANYWAY! The children are visibly stunted - that is, below average height for their age ranges. All of them seem to have slender builds, but I can't see any evidence of severe starvation. Their arms and legs seem to be of proportional thickness to their body weight. Most of them aren't wearing layers of clothes, so they look height-weight proportionate.

Like Fish said, though, they are visibly stunted. Stunted growth IS a sign of malnutrition, but it isn't the same thing as emaciation. Emaciation specifically refers to people who have gone from height-weight proportionality to severe thinness.

It doesn't look like the abuse they suffered was specifically starvation. I don't think the general public should know the details, but I hope the police and the DA are uncovering the extent of suffering the children went through so that they can prosecute the parents to the fullest extent of the law.

message 47: by Dannibal (new)

Dannibal | 25 comments Erin,

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I went through something kinda similar a few years ago. Unfortunately, the employer that accused me of stealing money was a small business, so there was no HR and I had no recourse. Depending on the size of the business, you can try to talk to the Department of Labor, to see what they have to say. Since my employer was a small business, the DoL wouldn't get involved, unfortunately. But, maybe your situation is different. Wishing you the best!

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 374 comments Dannibal I sorry you had to go this too. I just feel so awful. I'm innocent and yet I feel guilty. I wish I could wake up from this nightmare.

message 49: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Like Fishface says: THIS RASSAFRASSING APP!

message 50: by Fishface (last edited Feb 08, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

Fishface | 11882 comments I have to say I'm feeling very accomplished today. Last night the zipper broke on my appt-book case and I fixed it without help; then I remembered that the garbage disposal in the kitchen had seized up and I managed to fix that all by myself -- a huge relief after all the plumbing and appliance woes I've had lately.

This was not a happy day for the rest of the county, however. We hustled over to the high school in the town where I live because they needed counselors on hand after a road accident that killed one of the students, along with a student in the high school in the town where I live. Made me realize I really wasn't fit for that kind of duty; just hearing the details of the accident ripped the scab off the last couple of car accidents I lost 2 of my own friends to in the past couple of years.

What's the app doing to you Bel?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.