Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 archive > January Group Read Discussion - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Discussion is open for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Please use spoiler tags if you are sharing any plot related surprises.

Posts should be exclusively about this book.

When you've finished, be sure to post in the January challenge: I finished! thread.

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I've already read this book so I won't be group reading but it's one of my favorites so I'm excited to see the discussions of those discovering it for the first time.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments I'm 30% into the book. I've always skipped this book because I thought it was too out of my league, or too difficult for me to follow. I don't know where I got that idea - maybe from the few minutes of the movie I watched? Anyway, I like it so far. Little tough to get started but now that I'm in to the mystery part I'm into it.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 24 comments I just started this book on audio, and am 10% into it. I like the characters already! I can't believe I put this book off for so long. Excited to discuss the plot line with you all. Why would Blomkvist take the bate to publish this story with murky details? It all sounds so sketchy to me.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Podesta (jennypodesta) | 2 comments Next book on my to-read list! Can’t wait!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Whalen | 13 comments Just picked this up from the library and I’m excited to get to it! I never really thought it was my kind of book to be honest, so I’m excited to begin reading things this year that aren’t necessarily what I would normally read.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Herrera | 2 comments I read this book some time ago, so I thought it would be a good idea to re-read it, so that afterwards I can tackle the rest of the series.

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments Someone please tell me this book gets better! I'm about 40 pages in and I'm so bored I can hardly keep my eyes open (not a cliche, I was actually falling asleep)! I know 40 pages isn't necessarily a good "chance" but I just need to know that it gets better!

message 9: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 17 comments Taylor wrote: "Someone please tell me this book gets better! I'm about 40 pages in and I'm so bored I can hardly keep my eyes open (not a cliche, I was actually falling asleep)! I know 40 pages isn't necessarily ..."

I think it is a bit of a slow burn, but I vote "stick with it" :-) - I started this and put it aside twice before finally getting on with it, and ended up giving it 5*.

message 10: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 609 comments I plan on picking this book up this month. I'm not a huge "Nordic noir" fan, so this one's a bit out of my comfort zone, but then, I wouldn't be doing the PopSugar challenge if I wasn't interested in stepping out of my comfort zone, right? ;)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 47 comments Ugh....I have owned a copy of this for YEARS and have tried to read it at least 4 times, always giving up as I could never 'get into it'. Hopefully I can stick to it this time, for the group read. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Eagen | 11 comments I've started this and quit before, but I'm hoping I was just a little too young for it the first time around. I'm only 2 chapters in so far and I'm enjoying it! Though I find the nordic-isms a little confusing sometimes (gaol, all those very similar names in the family tree at the beginning...)- but I guess that's sort of the point of this category!

message 13: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 11 comments I read this when it first was published and remember spending a whole weekend just immersed in it. I have seen the movies and enjoyed them as well.
Decided to read it again because I have the others in the series sitting on my TBR and wanted to get them.

One more book to finish and then I will jump into this one.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Taylor wrote: "Someone please tell me this book gets better! I'm about 40 pages in and I'm so bored I can hardly keep my eyes open (not a cliche, I was actually falling asleep)! I know 40 pages isn't necessarily ..."

It's definitely a slow starter. I was confused by the first two chapters and the legal aspect but it really picks up soon.

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica (snshn) | 6 comments Yes, it takes a couple of reading sessions to get to the point where you cannot put this book down so keep reading. It's worth it. I'm thinking about reading the fourth book by the subsequent author. Anyone here that did read all of the books? Can you tell me if the newer two are ok or should I read Jo Nesbo?

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I read this awhile ago so I’ll be reading The Bat this month. I hated this book! But looking forward to following the conversation and seeing why so many enjoy it lol

message 17: by Rose (new)

Rose W | 71 comments I read this awhile ago and ended up reading the entire series. I read them all on audiobook. At times hard to follow with names/locations but love reading outside normal genres and different cultures. Reading Faceless Killers for this prompt instead since already read this one.

Catherine - These, that’s & Prose (thesethatsprose) Got this as a free book promotion on Amazon! Happy Days. I’m gonna start tonight.

message 19: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 609 comments Started it today. So far I'm intrigued. The language is a little stilted, but I've come to expect that from translations -- participating in the PopSugar challenge has encouraged me to explore more books written in other countries.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara | 7 comments I started this book yesterday. It was a very slow start and when I picked it up today, I was kinda dreading it. However, it has really picked up the pace and at page 75, I won't be dreading my next reading session! Looking forward to following this thread and discussing the book with you all! Happy reading!

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Erica wrote: "Yes, it takes a couple of reading sessions to get to the point where you cannot put this book down so keep reading. It's worth it. I'm thinking about reading the fourth book by the subsequent autho..."

I'm not reading the newer books out of principle. I usually don't mind ghost writers for deceased authors but Stieg Larsson specifically told his partner that he did not want the series to be ghost written but her wishes were completely ignored because they weren't married. Instead, his father and brother are using it as a way to make more money off his estate despite not having a good relationship with him in life

As someone who has lived with my boyfriend for 5 years unmarried, I would be extremely upset if his family decided to disregard my relationship with him in this way and this couple were together for 32 years!

So I can't comment on the quality of the new books but I will not be reading them.

message 22: by Marlies (new)

Marlies | 3 comments Sara wrote: "I started this book yesterday. It was a very slow start and when I picked it up today, I was kinda dreading it. However, it has really picked up the pace and at page 75, I won't be dreading my next..."

Yeah! I head the same!! I try to read for an hour every night before bed. Only yesterday I really wanted to find out what was happening in chapter 4, I ended up going to sleep really late. :P

message 23: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 17 comments Jess wrote: "I'm not reading the newer books out of principle."

I feel the same way, Jess. I've only read the first one so far, and I plan to read the second and third books, but no further.

message 24: by Julia (new)

Julia Keizer | 6 comments I've read this one before, it was a great read, exciting and suspenseful. I didn't think I would enjoy it, and it is a bit dark and violent, but worth it.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy (sunflower1924) | 10 comments I agree with the slow start. I read this one what feels like forever ago so i went ahead and decided to read it again. I definitely think it has been an easier read this go around. I'm glad I went with this one because I had totally forgotten the different plot twists that happen once you get about halfway through the book!

Blomkvist totally comes off like a womanizer in this book - haha! He is such a likable character but man, he gets around!

message 26: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 609 comments I agree with others that this book gets off to a slow start... but the final sentence of Chapter 4 -- what TV Tropes likes to call a "Wham Line" -- has got me hooked now. Going to keep going!

message 27: by John (new)

John | 79 comments I just started this one a few days ago. I'm not very far into bc shortly after I started it everybody in my house decided to catch a bad stomach bug so there was no feeling like reading lol. I've got the whole trilogy on my list for this year's challenge and a mini challenge to myself I'd like to read the whole trilogy this month. So far I'm liking it, according to my Kindle I'm only 7% into the book so I was JUST introduced to Lizbeth. I'll try to keep the page updated as I go along.

message 28: by Keren (new)

Keren | 14 comments Finished reading this today and cannot wait to read book two!

message 29: by Jezziez (new)

Jezziez | 1 comments Oh my, I really don't like movies in this genre, hopefully I will get through this book and like it as so many before me did.

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan Kindred | 65 comments I started this a couple days ago. It took me a couple days of reading to get hooked, but now I am having a hard time putting it down. It felt so disconnected at the beginning. Once it starts to tie together, I found it more interesting.

message 31: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (euphemy) | 208 comments I finished this book today. I liked it but did not love it. I'm in the minority for not loving it. I found it interesting and liked the mystery portion but not the legal aspect which i found confuhsing. I give it 3 stars. I liked the 'good' characters but agree that Blomkvist does get around! I won't be quick to pick up the 2nd book unless it would be for a challenge/group read in the far future.

message 32: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 3 comments I’m glad I’m not the only one who found this a bit difficult to get into! The first half or so seemed very convoluted and I kept losing interest at points. With that said, I think it was worth sticking with. I was more absorbed once it started getting into the meatier parts of the mystery. I do plan on reading the rest of the series at some point though - can anyone tell me if the other books are slow burners like this one?

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara | 7 comments I finished reading this book last night. So happy I stuck with it through the slow beginning; midway through I had a hard time putting it down! I loved the mystery/investigation, but felt the relationship portions fell flat and read a bit childish. Overall, I'd give it a solid 3.5/5. I liked it enough that I will likely read the next two books in the series eventually.

message 34: by Richelle (new)

Richelle | 25 comments On my reading this for this month too!

message 35: by Mrs. Hahn (new)

Mrs. Hahn (kate_hahn) | 8 comments Just finished this one. Rough book to read. Lots of violence against women. Blomkvist et al hooking up didn't bother me too much. It took a long time to get into it. Then I didn't want to put it down... while still being disgusted by half of the characters in it. :P

message 36: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 609 comments Boy howdy, I just hit the end of chapter 10 and have some really icky feelings about future events... Hiding the rest of my thoughts behind a spoiler tag just in case...

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie Kaste (brite0321) | 26 comments I have some issues with with book. I feel like it got turned into an infamous story when the author passed away. I have a few thoughts on the writing too.

As a story it is ok, nothing new or different, however the characters are a little different in the story. The author was defiantly a womanizer in life and translated that to his story. I find it interested that so many people are willing to look past the grotesque violence against female characters. The bad guys as well as our lead are not kind to female characters. The main man thought quite highly of himself. He was a bit to arrogant for my tastes. The characters are all terrible people and the plot was a little bit obvious.

I haven't seen the movie but I would like to at some point. The sweetish one, not the US version.

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Kaste (brite0321) | 26 comments Kenya wrote: "Boy howdy, I just hit the end of chapter 10 and have some really icky feelings about future events... Hiding the rest of my thoughts behind a spoiler tag just in case...

Salander's court-appointed..."

Not great

message 39: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 07, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

Kimberly | 24 comments Hi PopSugar Reads of TGWTDT,
My name is Kimberly, and I asked our wonderful moderators if I could serve as the Discussion Lead for our January selection The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson .

We are not exactly sure how this will work best, but I will post a thread with a few questions each week corresponding to quarter of the book. If you feel compelled to respond GREAT! If not - no worries! Also, feel free to post your own comments and questions!

Here are a few Week 1 Questions:

1. How are you reading TGWTDT? Audio, paper or ebook? How has the mode of delivery impacted your reading experience?

2. In the beginning we learn that Vanger receives a dried and flamed flower on his birthday. A gift first given to him by Harriet Vanger. Who do suspect is sending him these gifts?

3. In part one we also learn of Erika Berger and Blomkist's longstanding relationship. Do you think this type of relationship is more palatable in other countries vs. your home country?

4. Blomkist accepts Vanger's proposal. Why?

I hope to hear your thoughts in the thread! I'll post my responses below.

Happy reading!
Kimberly

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan Kindred | 65 comments Kimberly wrote: "Hi PopSugar Reads of TGWTDT,
My name is Kimberly, and I asked our wonderful moderators if I could serve as the Discussion Lead for our January selection [book:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo|242913..."

This is my first time doing this group, so I am not sure of the procedure. Is the expectation that we finish the book before discussing things here. I feel like I have definitely been exposed to if not spoilers, something rather close to them, where people haven't used the tool to hide spoilers.

Also I can't answer all of these questions without being further in the book than I am or finished with it perhaps. If I read people's answers I am sure I will find spoilers.

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 24 comments Megan wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Hi PopSugar Reads of TGWTDT,
My name is Kimberly, and I asked our wonderful moderators if I could serve as the Discussion Lead for our January selection [book:The Girl with the Dra..."

Megan,
I am sorry for any spoilers! I tagged the message, and will try to figure out what happened. I will revise my questions, maybe to go with the first quarter of the book, and see if that helps. We have never done this before either so we will learn as we go along. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!
Kimberly

message 42: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5323 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Megan wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Hi PopSugar Reads of TGWTDT,
My name is Kimberly, and I asked our wonderful moderators if I could serve as the Discussion Lead for our January selection [book:The Gir..."

You can use spoiler tags within the post to hide particular passages - just type the word "spoiler" in between the pointy brackets, then at the end of it type "/spoiler" in between the pointy brackets. Then it will look like this: (view spoiler)

message 43: by Kerry (last edited Jan 07, 2018 03:01PM) (new)

Kerry (euphemy) | 208 comments Just type the word "spoiler" in between the pointy brackets, then at the end of it type "/spoiler" in between the pointy brackets. Then it will look like this: (view spoiler)

I can't get it to work for me. [spoiler Lisbeth/spoiler]

message 44: by Nadine (new)

Those are square brackets - use the pointy ones, < and >

message 45: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (euphemy) | 208 comments ohhh, gotcha! I was looking at the ones shown when you click on the link. Thank you.

message 46: by Kim (last edited Jan 07, 2018 05:18PM) (new)

Kim | 152 comments Kerry wrote: "Just type the word "spoiler" in between the pointy brackets, then at the end of it type "/spoiler" in between the pointy brackets. Then it will look like this: (view spoiler)

I can't get it to wo..."

Like this: < spoiler > your message here < /spoiler > , only without the space I put before and after the carats. Now, I've got to try it for real! (view spoiler)

message 47: by Taylor (last edited Jan 08, 2018 08:09AM) (new)

Taylor | 178 comments I'm currently about halfway through the book and still having a hard time getting into it. It's definitely picking up from the first 100 pages or so but I still find it very dull and I'm not quite sure what the point of the book is.

Week 1 questions (not sure if anything I said could be construed as a spoiler so just to be safe...):

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 609 comments Fun fact -- the library I work at carries the Spanish editions of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and its first two sequels. I ran the title of the first one through Google Translate and apparently the Spanish edition is called "Men Who Do Not Love Women." Seems like a much more straightforward title. XD

For the curious, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" was changed to "The Girl Who Played With a Match and a Gallon of Gasoline," while "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" turns into "The Queen In the Palace of the Air Currents." At least the second one was fairly close, but I have no idea on the third...

message 49: by Johanne (last edited Jan 08, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1294 comments Kenya wrote: "Fun fact -- the library I work at carries the Spanish editions of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and its first two sequels. I ran the title of the first one through Google Translate and apparent..."

It kind of makes sense, but it´s still funny and curious. The original Swedish titles are:
Män som hatar kvinnor - means "Men who hate women"
Flickan som lekte med elden - "The girl who played with fire"
Luftslottet som sprängdes - directly translated is "the air castle that blew up/ exploded" and "air castle" is an idiom meaning the same as "building air castles in Spain" :)

message 50: by Nadine (new)

Those titles are funny ! I like how the Spanish title adds the gallon of gasoline :-). I've found that often titles of translations are not direct translations at all - I picture publishers sitting around brainstorming "what title will sell in our market?" and often they are so far off the mark.

The worst one I've found (and this is totally unrelated to our book!) was Fred Vargas's mystery L'homme a l'envers (which by the way was pretty accurately translated as El hombre del reves for the Spanish ed), in English it was "Seeking Whom He May Devour." Because that's exactly the same as "inside-out man"??? It's a mystery involving rumors of a werewolf, who is an "inside-out man" because he hides his wolfy hair on the inside until he transforms. The original French title makes sense. The English title was ridiculous.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.