Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Leni's 2018 Classics Bingo

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leni (last edited Oct 02, 2018 04:59AM) (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments I think I'll do this the same way as last year, just fill in group reads and books from other challenges as they fit. And then, towards the end of the year, actively search out books for the missing squares.

List form

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate Cannery Row****
B2: Children’s Classic Tom's Midnight Garden****
B3 Government Banned Book
B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV 84 Charing Cross Road & The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street *****
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize The Crying of Lot 49***

I1: 20th Century Classic Go Tell It on the Mountain *****
I2: New-to-You Author Oroonoko***
I3: Mystery or Crime Classic Murder on the Orient Express*****
I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages Wives and Daughters ****
I5: 18th Century or Earlier Classic The Monk***

N1: North American Classic Passing****
N2: Classic Short Story The White People ****
N3: FREE SPACE The Stepford Wives****
N4: Classic Play
N5: African Classic

G1: 19th Century Classic Dracula****
G2: Finest Works of Fiction (Martin Seymour-Smith & Editors) Fathers and Sons***
G3: Adventure or Action Classic The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano: Written by Himself ***
G4: Group Read If on a Winter's Night a Traveller***
G5: 21st Century Potential Classic The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay*****

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region The Heart of the Matter***
O2: Lesser known book by a famous author A Modern Mephistopheles***
O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic
O4: A Classic that you have put off readingWomen in Love**
O5: Classic written by a Female Author To the Lighthouse****

Lo-tech board

B I N G O
O O O O O
O O O O O
X O O O X
O O X O O
O O X O O

message 2: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Making mental note that for G2 the only book on the FWoF-list I am definitely planning to read is Don Quixote, although I might be reading The Sound and the Fury as i have it in a randomizer.

For B3 Government Banned Book I might end up rereading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or Animal Farm, since it's been many years. But I also think I'll start reading the Bible on serial reader. If I start today I'll be done by the end of the year. Obviously Ulysses could be used here, but I might want that for one of the other squares, such as O4.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9842 comments Mod
Glad to have you with us in the challenge Leni. Liking your mental notes.

message 4: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Aiming to do the same as you - adding books from other challenges and then later on fit what I need. Well, that is the plan.
Good luck with it :O)

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 6078 comments Mod
Exactly how I did it the last two years and it worked out well for me. I put some possibles in this year, but I'm not tied to anything. Be fun to watch you fill them in.

message 6: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments First one done: N1 - Passing
A very good start to bingo (and also to my Century of Women Challenge).

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments Leni wrote: "First one done: N1 - Passing
A very good start to bingo (and also to my Century of Women Challenge)."

Yay! You're on your way. I've got that one coming up--glad you liked it.

message 8: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments O1 - Literary Prize of my country. Going with the UK here. I almost put The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene as African classic, but fortunately it won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction in 1948, so I can find a book that isn't written from the colonial perspective for N5.

message 9: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments I5: 18th Century or earlier: The Monk by Matthew Lewis
It barely fits the criteria as it was published in 1796, but it fits!

message 10: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I'm planning the Monk for that spot as well, Leni. An inch is as good as a mile.

message 11: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) | 63 comments Hi Leni! I’m reading the Bible through this year also- I don’t know if Ill finish it!! I know that may sound strange but I can’t resist reading the notes and other verses that are referred too. So I’m not even finishing a “days read” in a day. :-) But I’m enjoying it immensely.

message 12: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments And here comes the book that really would fit I5: Oroonoko, first published in 1688! But I'll stick it on I2, as this author is so new to me I didn't even realise Aphra was a woman's name, much less a white English woman's name!

message 13: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Candace wrote: "Hi Leni! I’m reading the Bible through this year also- I don’t know if Ill finish it!! I know that may sound strange but I can’t resist reading the notes and other verses that are referred too. So ..."

The King James edition is certainly obscure enough in places that I have to google several verses! Unfortunately I am bored already, and I have barely finished Exodus. Then again, there's more action coming up!

message 14: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments I thought about using The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano Written by Himself by Olaudah Equiano for African Classic, but it's really more of a trans-Atlantic classic! I'm putting it in G3- Adventure or Action Classic. It is a memoir, but it contains kidnapping by slavers, naval warfare against France, searching for the North-East Passage, and more. If that's not an Action Adventure, then I don't know what is!

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell could go in a number of categories, but for now I'm putting it in I4 - Classic of over 500 pages.

message 15: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Aphra is really good - I read The Rover, which was really quite modern. Her life could be a book too - I think she was a spy! Need to get a copy of Oroonoko...

message 16: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Veronique wrote: "Aphra is really good - I read The Rover, which was really quite modern. Her life could be a book too - I think she was a spy! Need to get a copy of Oroonoko..."

Oroonoko is easily found in free ebook editions. I was a bit disappointed in it, but I wasn't actually aware before I read it that Aphra was a white woman from England. :P So my expectations were wrong. I'd say it's book more interesting as a testament to the times than for its enduring literary qualities. But I would love to read a biography on Aphra! Or even a fictionalised account inspired by her life.

message 17: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments G4 - Group Read: If on a Winter's Night a Traveler

O5 - Classic Written by a Female Author: To the Lighthouse

I enjoyed both of those. I think my slow struggle with Ulysses has increased my ability to read SOC and experimental books.

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments So glad you enjoyed those two, Leni. I can't seem to get into If on a Winter's Night. Every time I open it my eyes glaze over. I love hearing that Ulysses helped--I needed more reason to try that one!

message 19: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I couldn't do Ulysses. I really and truly tried--three times--I am satisfied that Joyce and I do not speak the same language.
I'm glad you benefited from the read Leni.

message 20: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Oh, I haven't finished Ulysses. In fact, I suspect it will take me the whole year and I might give up yet. 😂

message 21: by Tammy (last edited Mar 01, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Tammy | 393 comments Oh...say that isn't so, Leni. I plan to read Ulysses this month but I am having trouble with wanting to start. This will be my second try.

Great work on your Bingo.

message 22: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments N2 - Classic Short Story: The White People by Arthur Machen. He's perhaps better known for the novella The Great God Pan, but I think The White People is a better story. It starts with a treatise on the nature of evil, and then goes into specifics in the shape of a diary where a young girl has a series of almost psychedelic experiences. There are stories within stories, and the reader is kept constantly off balance. What is real and what is fantasy?

I1 - 20th C Classic: Go Tell It on the Mountain. This book is 5 stars and then some! Everything else James Baldwin ever wrote goes on my TBR!
Review here.

message 23: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Tammy wrote: "Oh...say that isn't so, Leni. I plan to read Ulysses this month but I am having trouble with wanting to start. This will be my second try.

Great work on your Bingo."

Thanks. I... will pick Ulysses back up again. I haven't touched it for weeks. Tomorrow. I'll start reading it tomorrow.

message 24: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Glad you liked Go tell it on the mountain, I liked that one too, but I adored Giovanni's room by Baldwin.

Good luck with picking up Ulysses again. I totally believe you're going to do it!

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments I can so relate to your putting everything Baldwin wrote on your TBR. I had the same reaction. I haven't read this one yet--can't wait! Like Pink, I adored Giovanni's room. I think I'll love them all, and it sounds like you may too!

message 26: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments B4 - Classic made into TV/movie: 84 Charing Cross Road & The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff

And I think I really need to get hold of that movie! It fills me with wistful joy that this book is non-fiction, the correspondence real. Absolutely love the London travel diary part too.

message 27: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen My book club read this book a LONG time ago but we still talk of it with great affection. It may be the first book I read that is in the form of letters. If I ever make it to London, 84 Charring Cross is my first stop.
The movie is terrific, can't imagine anyone but Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins in those roles. Watch it for sure! Kathy

message 28: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments There's no square for Classic Dystopian SF Horror, so I'm using my Free Space for The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
That's a short book with a lingering dread!
The Chuck Palhaniuk intro is better read as an afterword. And I think maybe the Peter Straub intro is better not read at all.

message 29: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments It does, doesn’t it. I had issues with the writing but the content does stay with you.

message 30: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments I3- Mystery or Crime Classic: I actually read two of those in short order, but the first one was Murder on the Orient Express so that goes on the board.

I've read this before, in my early teens. And I have seen at least one adaptation, but not the most recent one. So I didn't actually remember much about it. The solution came back to me relatively early on, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book. Absolutely a classic.

And now I have a bingo! w00t!

message 31: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Oh wait, I have two bingos. I suddenly remembered (and double checked) that Steinbeck is a nobel laurate.

B1: Cannery Row

I quite enjoyed that one. Not as devastating as some of his other work. More bittersweet and funny.

message 32: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 393 comments Way to go, Leni. Your Bingo board is filling up!

message 33: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Congrats Leni ! on the double Bingos.

message 34: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Thank you both!

As it turns out, I have a third bingo. (This is what happens when I go away for almost two weeks and only have the goodreads app which won't let me edit messages. Chaos in all my reading challenges! I better check the others too.)

G1 - 19th Century classic: Dracula by Bram Stoker

So I have vertical, horizontal, and diagonal bingo. :D

message 35: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Oh, wait, I can fill out the final corner too.
B5: Winner of a foreign Literary Prize - The Crying of Lot 49 won the The Rosenthal Family Foundation Award for Fiction, an award given annually "to a young novelist for a book published during the previous year that is a considerable literary achievement".

Ok, I'm pretty sure that's it for now. LOL

message 36: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments Wow! Many congrats. You'll be done with this before long!

Sounds like you're enjoying these too. I'm especially glad to hear about Murder on the Orient Express and Dracula--hoping to get to both of those this year. And good to know about the Steinbeck. I've yet to try him, but plan to read Grapes of Wrath soon--will considering following that with Cannery Row if I need a pick-me-up. :-)

message 37: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Congrats on all those bingos! Dracula is great :O)
Kathleen is right, you’ll be done in no time!

message 38: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 393 comments The Crying of Lot 49 was a tough one for me, but I did enjoy it (especially after it was done). For such a short book it is super dense.

message 39: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments The Crying of Lot 49 was really weird. I think I missed a lot of references due to not being familiar with 1960s California and its subcultures. But I enjoyed it anyway.

I don't think I will be done all that quickly. A few more categories will be quick, but there are some tough ones left!

message 40: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments I am hoping to get to get to Dracula and Orient Expeess this year too.

message 41: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments Leni wrote: "The Crying of Lot 49 was really weird. I think I missed a lot of references due to not being familiar with 1960s California and its subcultures. But I enjoyed it anyway..."

Okay, that sold me! Could be my first Pynchon.

And I look forward to comparing ideas about those two, Elena.

message 42: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I have also not read any Pynchon, so I marked this one to-read. I might get all the Cal subculture stuff if I can cast my mind back that far. :)

message 43: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments It was my first Pynchon, and I suspect it is a good place to start as it is shorter than his other work. You've now reminded me that I didn't write a review, so I've put down a few lines.

Currently I'm wondering whether to put A Wizard of Earthsea as my children's classic. Is it really a children's book? I did first read it as a child, but I read a lot of books that aren't necessarily children's books . These days it would be classified as YA, I'm sure.

message 44: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Kathleen wrote: "Leni wrote: "The Crying of Lot 49 was really weird. I think I missed a lot of references due to not being familiar with 1960s California and its subcultures. But I enjoyed it anyway..."

Okay, that..."

me too, Kathleen.

message 45: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments O2 - Lesser Known Work by Famous Author: A Modern Mephistopheles by Louisa May Alcott

Review forthcoming.

message 46: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Anxious to see what you thought of this one, Leni. I have had a copy sitting on my bookshelf for years and years. Tried it once, but just couldn't get into it and never went back to it again.

message 47: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Yes, me too (find out what you thought of it).

message 48: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments Yes, sorry! I meant to get that review done long ago. :P

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3392 comments Great job on your BINGO's Leni! Did you ever pick Ulysses back up again? I had to put it down for 3 months and am trying to motivate to pick it back up again. I had been enjoying the group discussion. It's going to be much harder to motivate without the group. : (

message 50: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments My situation too,Sue.
I would like to pick it up after a month or two ,too.

« previous 1