You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main > Carla's Zodiac Adventure

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments I'm going to start by setting myself an easier goal this year of 12 books. Then we'll see what happens.

message 2: by Carla (last edited Dec 30, 2018 08:35AM) (new)

Carla | 244 comments Aquarius

Month: January
Read a book that is set at least 50% during the specified month, OR the specified month is in the title

Symbol: Water bearer
Read a book that has an urn, jug, or other vessel used for holding water. (Glasses, cups, mugs are accepted)

Element: Air
Read a book with “Air” in the title. Exact word.
When Breath Becomes Air

NA Zodiac: Otter
Read a book set primarily in Switzerland or the Netherlands, or by Swiss or Dutch authors.

Stone: Turquoise
Read a book where the main theme is magic.

Superhero: Aquaman
Read a book with Atlantis or Poseidon in the title.

Actor: John Hurt
Option 1: Read the book the movie was adapted from, or read another book with the same title.
Option 2: If the book is adapted, you may read another book written by the same author.

Pisces

Month: February
Read a book that is set at least 50% during the specified month, OR the specified month is in the title

Symbol: Fish
Read a book set near or on a lake or river, OR the words Lake or River are in the title, or is the author’s name. If going for title or author, the words must be exact. Plurals will be accepted.

Element: Water
Read a book with “Water” in the title. Exact word.

NA Zodiac: Wolf
Read a book set primarily in Alberta, Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming.

Stone: Jade
Read a book set in China.
Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China

Superhero: Siren
Other similar spirits are, banshee, harpy, kelpie, mermaid, nymph, and rusalka (had to add it in). Read a book with “siren” or one of the alternate names in the title.

Actor: Glenn Close
ption 1: Read the book the movie was adapted from, or read another book with the same title.
Option 2: If the book is adapted, you may read another book written by the same author.

Aries

Month: March

Symbol: Ram
Dodge, a North American vehicle manufacturer, makes a model of truck called “Ram”. Read a book where a truck is on the cover, or the protagonist drives a truck.

Element: Fire
Read a book where 70% of the cover is red.

NA Zodiac: Falcon
Read a book set primarily in Iraq, Syria, or Turkey.

Stone: Opal
Read a book set between 1750 and 1850.

Superhero: Ares
Read a book shelved as mythology, or has the word “God” in the title. Plurals are accepted.
Norse Mythology

Actor: Tim Curry
Option 1: Read the book the movie was adapted from, or read another book with the same title.

Taurus

Month: April

Symbol: Bull
Read a book from this list OR where “western” is listed on the main book page as a main genre. In your personal thread report, list the page number where the book is found if it was selected from the list.

Element: Earth
Read a book where 70% of the cover is black.
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania

NA Zodiac: Beaver
Read a book where the majority of it is set in Canada, or written by a Canadian author.

Stone: Jasper
Read a book where illness (mental, emotional or physical) is a major theme.

Superhero: Rhino
Read a book with Villain in the title. Series titles are included for this task.

Actor: Audrey Hepburn

Gemini

Month: May

Symbol: Twins
Read a book that has more than one title. For example, we recently read The Warded Man/The Painted Man. In your personal thread report, link both titles with the edition you read linked first.

Read a book where 70% of the cover is white.
The Luminaries

NA Zodiac: Deer
Read a book where the majority of it is set in Scotland, or written by a Scottish author.

Stone: Agate
Read a book with a face in profile on the cover. An actual cameo on the cover will be accepted.

Superhero: Copycat
Read a book from the dystopian genre, or set in the future. The word “Dystopian” needs to be listed as a genre on the main book page.

Actor: Johnny Depp

Cancer

Month: June

Symbol: Crab
These are the names of common crab varieties: Coconut, Hermit, Horseshoe, King, Japanese Spider, Dungeness, Rock, Snow, Blue, or Fiddler Crab. Read a book with any of those words (other than “crab”) in the title.

Read a book where 70% of the cover is blue.
The Memory Keepers

NA Zodiac: Woodpecker
Read a book set primarily in a South American country, or by a South American author.

Stone: Rose Quartz
Read a book with a rose(s) on the cover, or the cover is 75% pink in colour.

Superhero: Sandman
Read a book in the horror genre. The word “Horror” needs to be listed on the main book page.

Actor: Meryl Streep

Leo

Month: July

Symbol: Lion
Read a book that is set entirely in Africa.

Read a book with a significant amount of fire on the cover.

NA Zodiac: Salmon
Read a book that is set in the Pacific Northwest Canada or United States. The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed

Stone: Carnelian
Read a book set in Ancient Egypt.

Superhero: Kraven the Hunter
Read a book where the main character is over 60 years old.

Actor: Sean Penn

Virgo

Month: August

Symbol: Maiden
Read a book where the protagonist is a girl or young woman under the age of 20 and is unmarried.

Read a book with an Earth-like planet on the cover.

NA Zodiac: Bear
Read a book where the majority of it is set in Russia, or written by a Russian author.

Stone: Amethyst
Read a book where the main character is a king, queen, prince, or princess. The Last Namsara

Superhero: Rogue
Read a book with bird(s) on the cover OR the word “Raven” is in the title. Plurals are accepted.

Actor: Anne Meara

Libra

Month: September

Symbol: Scales
Read a legal thriller using this Genre page as a tool https://www.goodreads.com/genres/lega.... Explain how your book fits this genre.

Read a book with a significant amount of clouds on the cover.
The Secret of Orchard Cottage

NA Zodiac: Raven
Read a book that is set primarily in New Zealand or is written by a New Zealand author.

Stone: Azurite
Read a book set in the Renaissance period from 1400 – 1700.

Superhero: Judge Dredd
Read a book set between 1977 and 2000.

Actor: Viggo Mortenson

Scorpio

Month: October

Symbol: Scorpion
Read a book that has “Poison” in the title (may be imbedded in other words like poisoner, poisonwood, poisoning), OR contains the name of a poison (arsenic, oleander, etc) in the title, OR has a bottle of poison on the cover. If using a name of a poison, please provide link to definition that it is a poison in your personal thread report.

Read a book with a significant amount of water on the cover.
Random Passage

NA Zodiac: Snake
Read a book where the majority of it is set in Australia, or written by an Australian author.

Stone: Copper
Read a book with a metal weapon or tool on the cover.

Superhero: Anti-Venom
Read a book that is a stand-alone book in the Science Fiction genre. The genre must show on the main book page.

Actor: Jodie Foster

Sagittarius

Month: November

Symbol: Archer
Read a book that is written by a Native American author or about Native American culture.
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Read a book with “Fire” in the title. Exact word.

NA Zodiac: Owl
Read a book where the majority of it is set in Greece or Crete, or written by a Greek author.

Stone: Obsidian
Read a book set in Hawaii.

Superheroe: Hawkeye
Read a new release in 2018, never previously published.

Actor: Ralph Fiennes

Capricorn

Month: December

Symbol: Goat
Read a book that is shelved as Scandinavian Literature using this genre page as a tool: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/scan.... Explain how your book fits this genre.

Read a book with “Earth” in the title. Exact word.
Journey to the Center of the Earth

NA Zodiac: Snow Goose
Concentrated areas appear to be Kansas, New Mexico, Texas, and Mexico. Migrate like the birds and read a book set primarily in one of those areas.

Stone: Quartz
Read a time-travel book. The words “Time Travel” must be on the main book page as a genre.

Superheroe: Cannonball
Read a book about the American Civil War, or about the Napoleonic War.

Actor: Sissy Spacek

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47179 comments I think that's a good approach. Make the main challenge of 12 books your goal, and then go from there.

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments I think I'm just going to aim at the 12 this time around so that I can do some more relaxed reading, perhaps fit in a few more monthly challenges and group reads instead.

message 5: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Sarah wrote: "I think I'm just going to aim at the 12 this time around so that I can do some more relaxed reading, perhaps fit in a few more monthly challenges and group reads instead."

Agreed. I also meet with a book club in person so it can be a bit of a stretch sometimes to fit all my reading in.

message 6: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments I think I have found my first 12 books and the all came from my TBR list! Now let's hope I can acquire them all.

message 7: by Carla (last edited Oct 02, 2018 06:10PM) (new)

Carla | 244 comments Oops...realized I forgot to post this when I finished it.

Badge 1 Book 1

Taurus

Read a book where 70% of the cover is black.

I read, Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson

I really enjoy Eric Larson and this was no different. It always feels like you are listening in on the lives of the people he is talking about which I like; you feel like you are part of the action.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47179 comments Is that your first book, Carla? If so woot for getting on the tracker board.

Don't forget to sequentially number your books - Badge 1, book 1.

message 9: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Janice wrote: "Is that your first book, Carla? If so woot for getting on the tracker board.

Don't forget to sequentially number your books - Badge 1, book 1."

It is! Thanks. I forgot to number my first post but I've edited it now.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47179 comments Thanks.

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Yay! First book done!

message 12: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Woohoo!

message 13: by Carla (last edited Oct 02, 2018 06:10PM) (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 2

Aries

Superhero: Ares
Read a book shelved as mythology, or has the word “God” in the title. Plurals are accepted.

I read, Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

I've always loved mythology but I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the Norse tales. This was a great read and really brought the tales to life.

message 14: by Carla (last edited Oct 02, 2018 06:10PM) (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 3

Pisces

Stone: Jade
Read a book set in China.

I read, Empress Dowager Cixi The Concubine Who Launched Modern China by Jung Chang

I've been meaning to read more about the history of China and I'm glad I started with this book. Well laid out and easy to understand. She was an amazing leader at a time when women were not typically in these sorts of roles.

message 15: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 4

Aquarius

Read a book with “Air” in the title. Exact word.

I read, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

A really thought provoking look at how people can deal with death as well as how the could approach their life. Was emotionally done in by his wife's chapter at the end.

message 16: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 5

Gemini

Read a book where 70% of the cover is white.

I read, The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

I really enjoyed the writing and the overall mystery in this book. Even though it was quite a lengthy novel I read it in only a week. I was intrigued by the chapter titles being astrological but I have to admit I didn't understand how it related to the book. I'll be looking up an analysis of this one to figure it out.

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Good to hear that you enjoyed it Carla. I have it at home and wanted to read it this year (it's been on my shelves for a looong time) but due to the length I never get to it.

message 18: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Peggy wrote: "Good to hear that you enjoyed it Carla. I have it at home and wanted to read it this year (it's been on my shelves for a looong time) but due to the length I never get to it."

It was a bit intimidating but I'm glad I read it. I also looked up the meaning of the astrological chapter headings and can't believe the detail the author went to beyond the initial plot lines.

message 19: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments This is making me curious! Maybe if I have some time left in December after finishing the ZZ challenge I'll read it. But I have some other chunksters that I want to read but have been postponing for the same reasons...

message 20: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Peggy wrote: "This is making me curious! Maybe if I have some time left in December after finishing the ZZ challenge I'll read it. But I have some other chunksters that I want to read but have been postponing fo..."

Oh I totally understand. So many books, so little time.

message 21: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 6

Scorpio

Read a book with a significant amount of water on the cover.

I read Random Passage by Bernice Morgan

Lavinia Andrews is 17 when her family flees from England and ends up on a desolate shore in Newfoundland. Her journal recounts their struggle for survival (and their hopes and dreams) as well as that of the Vincent family. The author's description of the heartbreak that each family endures is gripping. I can't imagine living during that time period, and working in the fishing industry.

message 22: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 7

Leo

NA Zodiac: Salmon
Read a book that is set in the Pacific Northwest Canada or United States.
I read The Golden Spruce A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant

Another booked picked up in my travels. This book has a little bit of everything in it. The tale of the Golden Spruce and it's demise at the the hands of Grant Hadwin, followed by his disappearance, environmental issues, spirituality, mental illness, the history of the Haida, and botany. Fascinating read on many levels and pretty thought provoking in terms of our effect on the planet.

message 23: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I remember seeing reviews of "the spruce" book in the past. I sounds interesting but I never added to my TBR list.

message 24: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Cherie wrote: "I remember seeing reviews of "the spruce" book in the past. I sounds interesting but I never added to my TBR list."

It does get a bit technical in its descriptions of the logging industry (something I never thought I'd be reading about) so it won't be for everyone. But I personally felt the story around it was engaging enough to read on.

message 25: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 8

Cancer

Read a book where 70% of the cover is blue.

I read The Memory Keepers by Nina Waddington

A fantastic YA novel by a teacher friend. So jealous of her writing skills. A beautiful story full of hope. The characters were so engaging I just wanted the story to go on. If you've heard a song or found a penny on the sidewalk and it has reminded you of a loved one who has passed away, who is to say it is merely coincidence? In this story, death is just a crossroads.

message 26: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 9

Sagittarius

Symbol: Archer
Read a book that is written by a Native American author or about Native American culture.
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Glad to have this one on my classroom shelf. A great read and book for discussion with older students.

message 27: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 10

Virgo

Stone: Amethyst
Read a book where the main character is a king, queen, prince, or princess.

I read The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1) by Kristen Ciccarelli

The main character Asha (the Iskari) is the daughter of the dragon king and a dragon hunter. Really interesting use of dragons in the story and totally hooked on the series.

message 28: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 11

Libra

Read a book with a significant amount of clouds on the cover.

I read The Secret of Orchard Cottage by Alexandra Brown

If you like Kate Morton style mysteries you'll definitely like this book.

message 29: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Go, go, go, Carla!

message 30: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Cherie wrote: "Go, go, go, Carla!"

Thanks for the support Cherie, I'm almost there!!

message 31: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge 1 Book 12

Capricorn

Read a book with “Earth” in the title. Exact word.
I read Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) by Jules Verne

I can't find the exact edition that I listened to but the title is the same.

message 32: by Carla (last edited Dec 31, 2018 02:01PM) (new)

Carla | 244 comments Badge One completed (Wall of Fame Name - Carla (Peanut's) Wall)

1. Taurus, Element: Earth Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
2. Aries, Superhero: Ares Norse Mythology
3. Pisces, Stone: Jade Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China
4. Aquarius, Element: Air When Breath Becomes Air
5. Gemini, Element: Air The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
6. Scorpio, Element: Water Random Passage by Bernice Morgan
7. Leo, NA Zodiac: Salmon The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed
8. Cancer, Element: Water The Memory Keepers by Nina Waddington
9. Sagittarius, Symbol: Archer
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
10. Virgo, Stone: Amethyst
The Last Namsara
11. Libra, Element: Air The Secret of Orchard Cottage by Alexandra Brown
12. Capricorn, Element: EarthJourney to the Center of the Earth

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47179 comments Congrats, Carla!

message 34: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Janice wrote: "Congrats, Carla!"

Thanks Janice!