2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Alicia's Reading Nook

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (last edited Nov 14, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments .

BOOKS I'VE READ IN 2018: (Goal: 40)

1. Origin by Dan Brown (Let's Turn Pages: 461) (Clear the Shelves: X)
2. The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia (Let's Turn Pages: 304) (Clear the Shelves:✅)
3. The Lightning Thief (Let's Turn Pages: 375) (Clear the Shelves: X)
4. Firestarter (Let's Turn Pages: 428) (Clear the Shelves: ✅)
5. The Hobbit (Let's Turn Pages: 303) (Clear the Shelves: ✅)
6. Memoirs of a Geisha (Let's Turn Pages: 512) (Clear the Shelves: X)
7. Outlander (Let's Turn Pages: 866) (Clear the Shelves: ✅)
8. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Let's Turn Pages: 320) (Clear the Shelves: X)
9. You'll Grow Out of It (Let's Turn Pages: 305) (Clear the Shelves: X)
10. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer (Let's Turn Pages: 352) (Clear the Shelves: X)
11. A Wrinkle in Time (Let's Turn Pages: 228) (Clear the Shelves: X)
12. The Female Persuasion (Let's Turn Pages: 464) (Clear the Shelves: X)
13. Little Fires Everywhere (Let's Turn Pages: 348) (Clear the Shelves: X)
14: The Hunger Games (Let's Turn Pages: 387) (Clear the Shelves: X)
15. The Fellowship of the Ring (Let's Turn Pages: 432) (Clear the Shelves: ✅)
16: Armada (Let's Turn Pages: 368) (Clear the Shelves: X)
17. Catching Fire (Let's Turn Pages: 403) (Clear the Shelves: X)
18. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Let's Turn Pages: 341)(Clear the Shelves:X)
19. The Secret History (Let's Turn Pages: 546) (Clear the Shelves: X)
20. Manhattan Beach (Let's Turn Pages:438) (Clear the Shelves: X)
21. Truly Madly Guilty (Let's Turn Pages: 415) (Clear the Shelves: X)
22. The Lying Game (Let's Turn Pages: 370) (Clear the Shelves: X)
23. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Let's Turn Pages: 435)(Clear the Shelves:X)
24. The Two Towers (Let's Turn Pages: 352) (Clear the Shelves: ✅)
25. Cell (Let's Turn Pages: 449) (Clear the Shelves: ✅)
26. Faithful Place (Let's Turn Pages: 400) (Clear the Shelves: X)
27. Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage. (Let's Turn Pages: 208) (Clear the Shelves: X)
28. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Let's Turn Pages: 734) (Clear the Shelves: X)

CHALLENGES:

LET'S TURN PAGES: (Goal: 16,500)

11,544/16,500

CLEAR THE SHELVES: (Goal: 20)

E-Books: 2
The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia
Outlander

Physical Books: 18
Cell
Cold Mountain
A Death in the Family
Dune
Everything Is Illuminated
Firestarter
The Great Gatsby
The Hobbit
Interview with the Vampire
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Life of Pi
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Monkey Wrench Gang
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Player Piano
Sons and Lovers

Progress: 7/20

Jasmine (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ | 78 comments Good luck on your goal Alicia! :)

message 3: by Alicia (last edited Jan 11, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments hold

message 4: by Alicia (last edited Feb 23, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments Book #1: Origin

Well, it was a Robert Langdon book. Jetsetting to beautiful, historic locations with a beautiful, intelligent woman solving a mystery. I will definitely say this book inspired some wanderlust for Spain. I enjoyed the science behind the big discovery. That being said, the catalyst behind the events was pretty obvious about a third of the way through. I also felt like the big presentation was super cheesy, like a bad TED Talk.

Challenges: Let's Turn Pages

Rating: 2/5

message 5: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Alicia wrote: "I have a few loose goals for reading in 2018:

- 40 books
- Read some of the books that have been languishing on my bookshelves instead of taking out new books from the library
- Read more non-fiction
- Read a few classics I haven't read yet ."

Hi Alicia, sounds good!
Will you be joining any of the challenges to help you reach your goal? Like the Clear the Shelves, Recommended Nonfiction Lists or Dig Deeper and Read Particular Challenge.

In any case, wishing you the best of luck with your goals & happy reading Alicia!

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments Susy wrote: "Hi Alicia, sounds good!
Will you be joining any of the challenges to help you reach your goal? Like the Clear the Shelves, Recommended Nonfiction Lists or Dig Deeper and Read Particular Challenge."

Thanks for the suggestions, Susy! The Clear the Shelves Challenge looks like just what I'm looking for.

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Alicia wrote: "Thanks for the suggestions, Susy! The Clear the Shelves Challenge looks like just what I'm looking for."

You're welcome :)
Hope you'll enjoy it!

message 8: by Alicia (last edited Feb 23, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #2: The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia

This book has been on my Kindle for a while and I've just never gotten around to it. I finally started it and got sucked in right away. It was very well written and interesting. I didn't know much about Russian history going in so I learned a lot.

Challenges: Let's Turn Pages, Clear the Shelves

Rating: 4.5/5

message 9: by Alicia (last edited Feb 23, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #3: The Lightning Thief

I read this book as part of the February Group Read. I am leading discussion so I thought I should read it early. I have a few family members that love this series so I was glad to have a reason to finally get to it. It was a very quick read, as I was able to finish it in one day between commuting and lunch break. The story was pretty good. I liked the pantheon of greek gods and the little bits of their history throughout the book.

Challenges: Let's Turn Pages

Rating: 3/5

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #4: Firestarter

It took me way longer to read this book than it should have thanks to being sick, work, and obsessively watching the Olympics. It also had a bit of a slow start and it took me about halfway through the book to really get into the story. Even though I've never seen the movie, I totally had little Drew Barrymore in my head as Charlie Mcgee the whole time I read. I would say this probably isn't the best Stephen King I've read, but his novels are always entertaining.

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #5: The Hobbit

I received a Lord of the Rings box set when I was probably 9 or 10 years old. Since that time, I've had a lot of false starts where I pick it up, get a few chapters in, and then give up. I finally decided to read these books this year. I thought The Hobbit started off a bit slow but I got into it and actually ended up really liking it. I really liked Bilbo's character evolution. I've actually seen the three Hobbit movies and it's crazy how much is not actually in the books.

Rating: 4/5

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #6: Memoirs of a Geisha

I honestly thought it would bother me reading a book written by a white man from Tennessee about a geisha from Japan. This book was so beautifully written, though, I completely forgot about it. This is one of those books that everyone raved about for a while so I refused to pick it up until the hype died down. I'm glad I finally read it. It was lovely.

Challenge: Let's Turn Pages

message 13: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #7: Outlander

It took me forever to finish this book. I liked it fine, but I wish it was shorter. It was also not at all what I expected. I kept getting mixed reviews with some people telling me that it was a really well written historical fiction and others saying it was just trashy romance. I think it fell somewhere in the middle. I won't be continuing the series, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the book.

message 14: by Alicia (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #8: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I've read this book probably 10 times at this point and this time, the audiobook kept me awake during a very long drive for work. I really enjoy the narrator.

Rating: 5/5

BOOK #9: You'll Grow Out of It

I usually try to read a few books by comedians every year. I picked this one because I heard the author's story about her wedding dress on The Moth and really enjoyed it. This book, however, was something else. I kept wanted to shake the author by the shoulders and make her acknowledge how privileged she is. She kept trying to present herself as some poor, ugly, overweight schlub but she is clearly thin, beautiful, and able to jet away to luxurious resorts. Overall, the book was fine but definitely had some flaws.

Rating: 2.5/5

message 15: by Alicia (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #10: I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

I don't really read much true crime, but I was familiar with this book through the author's husband, Patton Oswalt. I decided to pick it up once a Golden State Killer suspect was arrested last month. It was an intriguing read, but also sad knowing that the author, Michelle McNamara, didn't live to see it's publication or the arrest.

Rating: 3.5/5

message 16: by Alicia (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #11: A Wrinkle in Time

I put a hold on this book at the library when it was coming up as the group read a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, there was a very long wait list and I only got it a couple of days ago. This is one of those books that I feel like everyone but me read when they were a kid. Maybe if I had read it when I was a kid, I would have liked it better. I don't feel like I really got invested in the story or the characters. It felt very one-dimensional. I'll probably check out the movie when it comes on cable or streaming because I'm sure it's beautiful.

Rating: 2/5

message 17: by Alicia (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #12: The Female Persuasion

I really loved Meg Wolitzer's last book, The Interestings so I knew I wanted to pick this one up. I really like the way she writes complicated characters. No one is all good or all bad. Her characters have depth. I also liked the exploration of feminism front and center in the story.

message 18: by Alicia (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:50AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #13: Little Fires Everywhere

I enjoyed Celeste Ng's last book, Everything I Never Told You so I added myself to the very, very long waitlist for this book at the library. I ended up loving it. It is beautifully written and I didn't want to put it down. If I had to nitpick anything it would be the reliance on coincidences to drive the plot.

Rating: 4.75/5

message 19: by Alicia (last edited Jul 11, 2018 06:00AM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #14: The Hunger Games

I've re-read this book a few times and have always enjoyed it. I could give or take the love triangle part of the story, but Katniss kicks ass.

BOOK #15: The Fellowship of the Ring

I started reading this book in high school and then started again in college. I decided this was the year I was actually going to commit and finish it. Man, it is a slog to get through at times. There were little sparks of action followed by pages and pages of history and exposition. I'm still determined to get through the rest of the series (why? I don't know...).

BOOK #16: Armada

If I didn't know any better, I would have said this was a cheap knock-off of Ready Player One. The author is clearly trying to recapture what people love about that book but I don't think he's successful. The manic pixie dream girl, Lex, just made me roll my eyes. The pop culture references felt forced. Maybe if I head read this before Ready Player One, I would have enjoyed it more.

Rating: 2.5/5

BOOK #17: Catching Fire

Again, I've read this series many times and I always enjoy it.

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments Book #18: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

<3

Rating 5/5

Book #19: The Secret History

This book has been sitting on my To-Read shelf for a while. It took me a really long time to get through it. I don't mind reading a book in which all of the main characters are unlikable, but I just didn't find this super engaging. It felt bloated. I'm glad I finally read it, but I wouldn't re-read it.

message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #20: Manhattan Beach

It took me a while to get into this book. It's definitely well written and well researched. I ended up really enjoying the stories from the three narrators. My big complaint, (view spoiler).

message 22: by Alicia (last edited Aug 29, 2018 01:06PM) (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #21: Truly Madly Guilty

I checked out this book before at trip so I would have an easy read for the plane. I didn't end up getting to it, but it was still on my Kindle so I picked it up. I understand that the author was trying to build suspense about the incident by not revealing what happened at the barbeque until over halfway through the book. Honestly, this ended up looping in my head as I read:

description

I don't mind reading books that focus more on the characters than the plot, but everyone in this book was so annoyingly in their heads, constantly expounding about their self-doubt. It got tedious.

Rating: 1.5/5

message 23: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #22: The Lying Game

I read another book by this author last year (In a Dark, Dark Wood) and thought it was alright. I downloaded this book in a rush to fill my Kindle before a trip without expecting much. I ended up being pleasantly surprised. The plot is engaging and nicely paced. There is good character development. The ending was probably the weakest part of the book, but it wasn't bad.

message 24: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #23: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

<3

Rating: 5/5

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 167 comments BOOK #24: The Two Towers

One more book down in the Lord of the Rings series. I don't know why it takes me so long to get through these books. I normally read pretty quickly, but these take me weeks to finish. I enjoyed this book more than Fellowship and I'm looking forward to finishing the series.