2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > March Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Hi all!

Happy New Year! I hope you're all ready and exited to dive into new adventures! I know I am! I love this time of setting goals, deciding challenges and figuring out what to read first. With that we're ready to nominate for March and the theme is Page to Screen.

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by January 25th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Meghan L (new)

Meghan L | 325 comments I would like to nominate Mortal Engines, because it will be released as a movie later this year, and I want to read it before that happens!

message 3: by Kit (new)

Kit (screechfox) I would like to nominate Artemis Fowl, because even if I'm not all that optimistic about the film coming out in 2019, it's still happening, and I think the book deserves a read.

message 4: by Julia (last edited Jan 02, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Julia Lowrence (juliettal) | 140 comments I would like to nominate Bel Canto, just in case anyone else want to read it:)

message 5: by Kristy (last edited Jan 07, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Kristy Moore (llamalluv) I nominate: I Married a Dead Man by Cornell Woolrich under the pseudonym William Irish.

It has been made into a film several times:
1950 "No Man of Her Own"
1960 "Shisha to no Kekkon" (Japan)
1971 "Kati Patang" (India)
1983 "J'ai épousé une ombre" (France)
1996 "Mrs. Winterbourne"

and into a TV miniseries in Brazil in 1962 "A Intrusa"

It is eligible to tick quite a few boxes, so everyone should be able to knock at least one prompt off their list for 2018:
Book written by a woman using a male pseudonym - STRIKE THAT. I'M DUMB. I KEEP READING THIS MALE AUTHOR'S REAL NAME AS COLLEEN.
Book made into a movie you've already seen (if you haven't yet seen Mrs. Winterbourne, I recommend it despite the poor critical reviews. It's a cute rom-com)
Book about death or grief

In Mrs Winterbourne, the brothers are twins. Having never read the book, I don't know if they are twins in the original, but if they are - that checks another prompt.

message 6: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz (nebula61) | 6 comments I would like to nominate The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. I haven't read the book or seen the film but it was highly recommended to me by a coworker and I'd like to read it this year before I see the film.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gosling | 40 comments Julia wrote: "I would like to nominate Bel Canto, just in case anyone else want to read it:)"

I second this nomination! I've been meaning to read this book for a long while now. And it would be exciting since the movie is coming out this year. :)

message 8: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4091 comments I'd like to nominate Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. It is recently made into a miniseries.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 40 comments I would like to nominate the The Alienist. I am very excited to see the new TV show and would like to read the book it is based on.

message 10: by Charlsa (new)

Charlsa (cjbookjunkie) | 64 comments I nominate Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

Juliefellioncomcast.net | 121 comments I would like to fourth the nomination for Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Beach Bums Romance (beachbumsromance1026) | 1 comments I nominate 50 Shades of Grey, because it’s a great read & the movie to the 3rd book in the series 50 Shades Freed comes out in February! Of course the books have been better than the 1st 2 movies, but still can’t wait to see the last movie! There’s nothing boring about this series!

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 459 comments I'll second The Zookeeper's Wife. I've heard excellent reviews and I'd also like to read it before I see the movie.

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 7 comments I would like to nominate A Wrinkle in Time, which I'm hoping to read myself in March before the film's release.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate I'll second A Wrinkle in Time

message 16: by quark (new)

quark (quarks) | 5 comments I’ll second A Wrinkle In Time too :)

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Just because I been dying to see the movie and am looking forward to reading this.
Wonder

message 18: by Missy (new)

Missy (adriella) | 52 comments Brittany wrote: "I would like to nominate A Wrinkle in Time, which I'm hoping to read myself in March before the film's release."

Yes! A Wrinkle in Time movie looks to be highly anticipated too! Not only would it be enjoyable to discuss the book as a group read, but also to discuss the movie’s adaptation right along side it. I love that it releases on March 9th! This is where my vote is headed.

message 19: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Robinson I'd like to second Alias Grace

message 20: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments I'll place my support behind A Wrinkle in Time!

message 21: by Krystsina (new)

Krystsina Lentini | 7 comments My support is for The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman!

message 22: by Ankit (last edited Jan 04, 2018 12:45AM) (new)

message 23: by Becka (new)

Becka Ramaglia | 5 comments A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. This movie came out last year. I haven't seen it yet nor read the book but I loved his Knive of Never Letting Go series. The movie also got good ratings.

message 24: by Lokigyrl (new)

Lokigyrl | 29 comments i second A Wrinkle in Time especially with it coming out soon

message 25: by Zachariah (new)

Zachariah Arneil | 16 comments I also second A Wrinkle in Time

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim | 131 comments I'd like to nominate Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs because it is on my TBR and I really enjoyed the movie (and if I had known at the time Tim Burton was shooting less than a mile away from my home, he would have had a stalker on the premises...).

message 27: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) | 93 comments I also support The Zookeeper's Wife

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1015 comments Ankit wrote: "The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon"

That was pretty good - I read it in 2016 but haven't seen the movie yet.

Still, I think I'm going to throw my support behind A Wrinkle in Time. I read that in grade school and would love to revisit it.

message 29: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments Since A Wrinkle in Time seems like it has enough votes, I'm going to second Miss Peregrine.

message 30: by Chelin (new)

Chelin Maxine wrote: "I'd like to second Alias Grace"

Consider this a third!

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 11 comments Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children i would like to 3rd this

message 32: by Jeanine (last edited Jan 04, 2018 03:30PM) (new)

Jeanine I would like to nominate A Wrinkle in Time to coincide with the film's March 2018 release.

message 33: by Mirella (new)

Mirella | 10 comments A wrinkle in time, Because it will be coming out in theaters and it would be great to read the book (or re read) and then go and compare what the directors took from the book and added to the movie

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments I would like to nominate Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda because it is coming to the big screen in March (titled Love, Simon). I haven’t read the book yet, but am planning to do so before seeing the movie!

message 35: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Saxena | 29 comments Randy wrote: "Ankit wrote: "The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

That was pretty good - ..."

Its a good movie to watch. Go for it at-least once.

message 36: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments I have sorted all your nominations. It's getting busy here this month, thank you all for wonderful suggestions!

message 37: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Jan 05, 2018 02:46AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments Ankit wrote: "Randy wrote: "Ankit wrote: "The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

That was ..."

Looks interesting!

message 38: by Mythrayee (new)

Mythrayee | 11 comments I also support The Zookeeper's Wife

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Palcic | 2 comments Beatriz wrote: "I would like to nominate The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. I haven't read the book or seen the film but it was highly recommended to me by a coworker and I'd like to read it this year before ..."

I support this choice as well!

message 41: by Emmet (new)

Emmet Kelly (3mmetkelly) | 4 comments I would like to nominate The Boys From Brazil by Ira Levin. I picked the book up on sale not long ago and I’m keen to start it soon and hopefully see the film afterwards.

message 42: by Kim (new)

message 43: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 245 comments I second The Alienist.

message 44: by Rane (new)

Rane Peerson | 1 comments I nominate The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean. Despite being a work of nonfiction, the book was adapted by screenwriter Charlie Kaufman into a fiction film that serves mainly as a metatexual exploration on the process of adaptation itself in Spike Jonze' ADAPTATION. I think it's one of the most unconventional and stunning exercises in page-to-screen adaptation, and I believe it's a worthwhile book for this group to consider reading.

message 45: by Martina (new)

Martina Bučková | 38 comments I would like to second as well A Wrinkle in Time I was checking this book already several times as it was also nominated in other group but never made it to the pool. Though looks like a great book 🙂.

message 46: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 9 comments Just finished Bel Canto. Would totally turn around and read it again.

message 47: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'll second (fourth?) Alias Grace.

message 48: by Ranmali (new)

Ranmali Kirinde | 312 comments I vote for Alias Grace as well.

message 50: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1714 comments I nominate The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorn.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.