Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

What Are You Reading? > 2018 - Where is your bookmark?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 287 (287 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Diana S (last edited Dec 31, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Diana S | 472 comments Mod
We're starting anew for 2018! :D

Here's the place to share the books you are currently reading?

This thread will come to end December 31 at 11:59 pm

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Haunted Marshall by Brian Mason
Haunted Marshall by Brian Mason
4★'s

Discover one man's nine-year journey into Michigan's most haunted town. This book is a complete guide to your own personal ghost tour of Marshall, Michigan and that which goes bump in the night in one of the largest historic districts in the country. Experience the hidden secrets of a small town as Brian Mason delves into the tales, legends, and folklore of a people steeped in mystery and a community bound by those from beyond. From the gun-slinging saloon days to a home cursed by its owner's indiscretions, Haunted Marshall is a book for any collection. This is the story of a man, his horse and a dream that led him to uncover paranormal activity.

This short little book is an account of paranormal activity that is occurring in a small town just 16 miles from my town and one that I visit often...although I have never seen a ghost... but then I may not be in the right places. It's entertaining and informative and really makes no difference if you are a believer in the supernatural or a skeptic. What's the old saying..."there are more things between Heaven and Earth...."?

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments House on Foster Hill by Jaime Jo Wright
The House on Foster Hill by Jamie Jo Wright

Kaine Prescott is no stranger to death. When her husband died two years ago, her pleas for further investigation into his suspicious death fell on deaf ears. In desperate need of a fresh start, Kaine purchases an old house sight unseen in her grandfather's Wisconsin hometown. But one look at the eerie, abandoned house immediately leaves her questioning her rash decision. And when the house's dark history comes back with a vengeance, Kaine is forced to face the terrifying realization she has nowhere left to hide. A century earlier, the house on Foster Hill holds nothing but painful memories for Ivy Thorpe. When an unidentified woman is found dead on the property, Ivy is compelled to discover her identity. Ivy's search leads her into dangerous waters and, even as she works together with a man from her past, can she unravel the mystery before any other lives--including her own...are lost?

Foster Hill House is not without secrets of it's own. In 1906, Ivy Thorpe discovered a murdered woman in one of the trees on the property and soon learned that the dead girls newborn infant was missing. Thus began Ivy's journey to find the girls killer and her infant that could yet be alive against all odds.. Ivy’s story from the past blends smoothly with Kaine’s in the present time. As the secrets are unveiled, the danger increases.

Chapters alternate between the past and present, giving The House on Foster Hill depth. As the two stories run parallel and from clues scattered throughout...soon give the perfect amount of information to help the reader begin to piece together how the past is affecting the present. The book is filled with deep emotional struggles... sharp dialogue and shadows of evil lurking at the edges.

message 5: by Carol (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:25PM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Secret River by Kate Grenville
The Secret River by Kate Grenville
4★

The book describes an English family transported to New South Wales...Sydney and its surrounding area...after William is convicted of theft and sentenced to death or indentured servitude in Australia. Of course of the two choices Australia is looking pretty good. As William, attempts to work his way out of servitude, he falls in love with a parcel of land that’s in unsettled territory for the most part. There is also a large numbers of Aboriginal people already living there, and of course the settlers are anywhere from being wary of them to unbelievable cruelty. The struggle of this family is described in a way that is both understandable and horrifying. Most of the settlers at that time viewed the Aboriginal people as being less than human....and if any of the settlers who attempted to understand and establish a relationship with them were viewed with disgust. We see how even a person with good intentions might be led to commit terrible acts.

Also interesting in this book was the tension between William and his wife. It’s maddening at times because they are clearly at odds, and despite her very strong wishes William has control of their lives...as was the usual in those times. Wiliams often comes across as thoughtless and uncaring, making promises he has no intentions of keeping. In the end you'll find yourself rooting for William as he attempts to become a better person.

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 352 comments January 9, 2018 Currently reading:

TEXT - Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss--I'm both reading the text and listening to this book because I can't quite follow the narrative! A little too philosophical for me...

Personal AUDIO - Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss--for 3rd Thursday Book Club at the library

AUDIO in the car - The Rooster Bar by John Grisham The Rooster Bar by John Grisham--thoroughly enjoyable from the start!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Translated from the Dutch)
4.5★'s

Welcome to Black Spring, the seemingly picturesque Hudson Valley town haunted by the Black Rock Witch, a 17th century woman whose eyes and mouth are sewn shut. Muzzled, she walks the streets and enters your homes at will. She stands next to your bed for nights on end. Everybody knows that her eyes may never be opened. The elders of Black Spring have virtually quarantined the town by using high-tech surveillance to prevent their curse from spreading. Frustrated with being kept in lock-down, the town's teenagers decide to break their strict regulations and go viral with the haunting, but in so doing send the town spiraling into the dark, medieval practices of the past.

This is one of those books that you will either really, really like, or really, really dislike. To say it is strange would be the mother of all understatements. The witch is in your face from the start and honestly you have to feel some sympathy for her for all she's been through. She seems harmless enough on the surface....but no one wants to push that envelope. The Black Springs town people have come to accept her like the rest of us accept cable TV...it 's just there. I thought some the towns people were actually much scarier and dangerous. The plot and pacing is really effective once you get past the halfway mark but maybe I'm immune to it...but I didn't see the "horror" aspect. You have to keep turning pages to find out what happens next...yes...it's one of those kind of books. I understand the audio version leaves a lot to be desired.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Eye Of The Beholder by Lowell Cauffiel
Eye of The Beholder by Lowell Cauffiel
4★'s

Battle Creek, Michigan, is famous as the birthplace of breakfast cereal, and the nearby suburb of Marshall is as wholesome as shredded wheat. Well-known for its colorful Victorian mansions, this stately slice of nineteenth-century Americana became infamous on a frigid night in February of 1991. Newscaster Diane Newton King was stepping out of her car, her children strapped into the backseat, when a sniper’s bullet cut her down. The police assumed that the killer was her stalker—a crazed fan who had been terrorizing King for weeks. But as their investigation ground to a standstill, the police turned to another suspect—one much closer to home.

I had the privilege and the pleasure of knowing and working with Diane for three years. She was so kind as to serve as an expert consultant on an event the zoo produced each year during the school year for area students called "Native American Autumn Fest." Accuracy was very important to us and we didn't want to get the information wrong or offend any of our Native American neighbors. Diane was part Ojibwa and part Apache and even though the local tribe here is Pottawatomie they respected her opinion and trusted her. Imagine the shock when on February 9, 1991 we learned that she had been fatally shot and the main suspect was her husband Brad who was a criminal justice professor at Western Michigan University and a former police officer. Even more shocking was that her 3 year old son and 3 month old daughter were in car seats still in the car. They were supposed to have stayed at Diane's mother's home but her daughter appeared to be coming down with something and the 3 year old didn't want to stay alone. I didn't believe it was possible that Brad had killed her until I heard that the dog...a giant of a German Shepherd... was tied in the hay barn to the loft ladder and the fatal shot came from the loft. I had encountered that dog and knew that it had to have been tied there by someone that it knew and there was only one other person other than Diane at the house. It's not a huge in your face crime as far as murders go but it happened to a lovely, well respected mother, daughter and friend so it was huge to us. This author does a really good job telling Diane's story.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Color Tour (Ray Elkins Mystery #2) by Aaron Stander
Color Tour by Aaron Stander
Ray Elkins series Book #2
3★

It's a tranquil October morning in northwest lower Michigan, a rural paradise of cherry orchards, blue lakes, and sandy shorelines. The serenity of the day -- and the season -- is shattered when an elderly woman walking her dogs along the beach stumbles upon the bodies of a brutally murdered couple. Sheriff Ray Elkins returns from his debut in the bestselling "Summer People" to track down the elusive killer of a vivacious and spirited young teacher. His search takes him into the dark side of an elite private school -- and into his own long-forgotten past. As Elkins unravels the mystery, the hunter becomes the hunted and one intrigue leads to another.

3 stars was generous for this one since it didn't seem to have an ending. The author also evidently didn't seem to know much about modern technology or how the police work a crime scene. The beginning of the book offered promise with the elderly lady finding the bodies while walking her dogs and then there was just lots of wasted dialog. I hate to be critical of any author...after all I haven't written a book or got one published...but this was just lacking something.

message 10: by Carol (last edited Jan 21, 2018 02:11PM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Five by Ursula Poznanski
Five by Ursula Archer
4★
A woman's corpse is discovered in a meadow. A strange combination of letters and numbers has been tattooed on the soles of her feet. Detective inspector Beatrice Kaspary from the local murder squad quickly identifies the digits as map coordinates. These lead to a series of gruesome discoveries as she and her colleague Florin Wenninger embark on a bloody trail – a modern-day scavenger hunt using GPS navigation devices to locate hidden caches. The "owner" of these unofficial, unpublished geocaches is a highly calculating and elusive fiend who leaves his victims' body-parts sealed in plastic bags, complete with riddles that culminate in a five-stage plot. Kaspary herself becomes an unwilling pawn in the perpetrator's game of cat and mouse as she risks all to uncover the motives behind the murderer's actions.

This was better than I thought it was going to be when I started it. It turned out to be an intriguing combination of a police procedural and somewhat of a puzzle mystery. You had to keep track of the pieces if you wanted any chance of solving the crime. Overall it was well written and well told tale. Anyone that loves physiological murder mysteries will really like this book but be warned there are some parts that are extremely gory.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Hit (Will Robie, #2) by David Baldacci
The Hit by David Baldacci
Will Robie series Book #2
5★'s

Will Robie is a master of killing. A highly skilled assassin, Robie is the man the U.S. government calls on to eliminate the worst of the worst-enemies of the state, monsters committed to harming untold numbers of innocent victims.
No one else can match Robie's talents as a hitman...no one, except Jessica Reel. A fellow assassin, equally professional and dangerous, Reel is every bit as lethal as Robie. And now, she's gone rogue, turning her gun sights on other members of their agency. to stop one of their own, the government looks again to Will Robie. His mission: bring in Reel, dead or alive. Only a killer can catch another killer, they tell him. But as Robie pursues Reel, he quickly finds that there is more to her betrayal than meets the eye. Her attacks on the agency conceal a larger threat, a threat that could send shockwaves through the U.S. government and around the world.

Readers expect excitement and intrigue in David Baldacci's books and The Hit will meet those expectations in spades. The reader is presented with a plethora of high up government people that could be perfectly innocent or extremely guilty...you the reader must decide. Imagine you were Will Robie and had to sort out the intentions of the people that are supposed to be running your country but instead are plotting your execution and will stop at nothing to achieve that goal. This is a great book for those that crave action and intrigue in their enjoyable reads. It has interesting characters, fast pacing, and plenty of "junk food for the mind". You'll be hooked on this series.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor
Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor
4.5★

In 1986, Eddie and his friends are just kids on the verge of adolescence. They spend their days biking around their sleepy English village and looking for any taste of excitement they can get. The chalk men are their secret code: little chalk stick figures they leave for one another as messages only they can understand. But then a mysterious chalk man leads them right to a dismembered body, and nothing is ever the same. In 2016, Eddie is fully grown, and thinks he's put his past behind him. But then he gets a letter in the mail, containing a single chalk stick figure. When it turns out that his friends got the same message, they think it could be a prank . . . until one of them turns up dead. That's when Eddie realizes that saving himself means finally figuring out what really happened all those years ago.

The story reminded me of Stephen King's "Stand BY Me"...a story that I very much enjoyed more years ago than I care to think about. The characters each had their individual personalities that Tudor manged to bring out thus making the storyline work. The book jumps back and forth in each chapter from the past to the present.... but both narratives are so well written that you don't find yourself losing your place during the time jumps. It's hard to believe that this is her first book but I will certainly be watching for more by this author.

message 13: by Carol (last edited Jan 26, 2018 04:33AM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Unbound (Stone Barrington #44) by Stuart Woods
Unbound by Stuart Woods
Stone Barrington Series Book #44
3.5★

In the wake of a personal tragedy, former CIA operative Teddy Fay—now a successful Hollywood film producer known as Billy Barnett—takes a leave of absence to travel and grieve, and lands in Santa Fe in the company of his friends Stone Barrington and Ed Eagle. There, fate hands him an unexpected opportunity to exact quiet revenge for his recent loss, from a man who helped to cover up the crime. But when his enemy wises up to Teddy’s machinations, a discreet game of sabotage escalates to a potentially lethal battle. From the arid splendor of the New Mexico desert to the glamour of Hollywood’s rolling hills, it will take all of Stone Barrington’s diplomacy and skill to maneuver for Teddy’s advantage while keeping innocents out of the crossfire.

I had mixed feelings about this book. It was advertised as book #44 in the Stone Barrington series but it should have been sold as Book #2 in the Teddy Fay series. I see there is a real book 2 in that series coming out later this year...so... Stone had a very small part and only showed up occasionally and mostly from a bed. Teddy Fay is without a doubt one of the most fascinating characters that Stuart Woods has ever come up with. I thought from the first time we met him that he should have his own series. Reading this man in action is better than watching a James Bond movie. Again... the biggest problem... that seemed entirely unnecessary to the story line... was that Woods...again...made all the major players into sex starved maniacs. I'm sorry Mr. Woods but not every human being is just waiting to bed the woman or man that they have only just met. That lost your book a star. Great story and a really good character in Teddy Fay if you can overlook the unnecessary sex parts.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
4★

An award-winning collection of short fiction.

Imogene is young, beautiful . . . and dead, waiting in the Rosebud Theater one afternoon in 1945. . . .

Francis was human once, but now he's an eight-foot-tall locust, and everyone in Calliphora will tremble when they hear him sing. . . .

John is locked in a basement stained with the blood of half a dozen murdered children, and an antique telephone, long since disconnected, rings at night with calls from the dead. . . .

Nolan knows but can never tell what really happened in the summer of '77, when his idiot savant younger brother built a vast cardboard fort with secret doors leading into other worlds. . . .

The past isn't dead. It isn't even past. . . .

Horror stories... weather real or imagined...chill and thrill us. We read them huddled under the bed-covers or sitting with our backs to the wall. There is just something about a good case of goosebumps that appeal to the genuine fan of horror or the paranormal. These short stories really can't be labeled "horror"..."Bizarre " would better describe them. The collection is in itself "unique". If you are looking for real horror that will creep you out...search on. However if you are looking for short stories that are psychologically twisted and have some surprising endings...then you will enjoy this little book.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Cold Earth (Shetland Island, #7) by Ann Cleeves
Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves
Shetland Island series Book #7
4★

In the dark days of a Shetland winter, torrential rain triggers a landslide that crosses the main road and sweeps down to the sea. At the burial of his old friend Magnus Tait, Jimmy Perez watches the flood of mud and water smash through a house in its path. Everyone thinks the home is uninhabited, but in the wreckage he finds the body of a dark-haired woman wearing a red silk dress. Perez soon becomes obsessed with tracing her identity and realizes he must find out who she was and how she died.

Like most of Ann Cleeves books it doesn't take long for a body to show up and the investigative team of this small Scottish Island to spring into action. This dark tale introduced the reader to a variety of characters that all could have been suspects and all had secrets to keep. What actually makes this series engrossing are the characters. Jimmy, Sandy and Willow are completely different personalities, but feed naturally off of one another in ways that are unique to each personality. Although I had trouble grasping the entire reason for the murder I found the book engaging enough that it complimented the series and I am looking forward to the next one...which rumor says could be the last installment of this series.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Girl Jacked (Jack Stratton, #1) by Christopher Greyson
Girl Jacked by Christopher Greyson
Detective Jack Stratton series Book #1
2.5 ★

Jack Stratton's a good guy on the ugly side of life. Eight years ago a bomb blew his world apart and he's been picking up the pieces ever since. Guilt has driven a wedge between him and the family he loves. When Jack hears the news that his foster-sister Michelle is missing, it cuts straight to his core. The police think she just took off, but Jack knows Michelle would never leave her loved ones behind--like he did. Forced to confront the demons from his past, Jack must take action, find Michelle and bring her home... or die trying. This runaway hit mystery series introduces us to handsome rogue Jack Stratton. Driven by a debt of honor to his fallen foster-brother and a deep need to protect his vulnerable, yet feisty sidekick, Jack must dive into a world full of deception and lies. But in the sleepy community of Darrington, nothing is as it appears to be. Navigating the quirky characters that hold the answers to their foster-sister's disappearance, these two underdogs must put aside their differences and fight back-to-back if they are to save Michelle. As Jack's world continues to crumble, secrets from his past drag him down. Following a trail that has grown cold, Jack must tread carefully to protect his job, his family, and his own life.

The author has a good idea here for the plot, and I believe the character of Detective Jack Stratton will eventually work into something on the order of the other well read detective series. I just found the story to be delivered rather raggedly and awkwardly. I will certainly try a second book in this series as I believe it has a great deal of promise.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments City of Endless Night (Pendergast, #17) by Douglas Preston
City of Endless Night by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Agent Pendergast series Book #17
5★

When Grace Ozmian, the beautiful and reckless daughter of a wealthy tech billionaire, first goes missing, the NYPD assumes she has simply sped off on another wild adventure. Until the young woman's body is discovered in an abandoned warehouse in Queens, the head nowhere to be found.

The title is an allusion to a classic poem by William Blake, which states, “Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.” The evil in this book is seeking to bring "endless night" to the citizens of New York City. The book is one year out from the last book but the story takes up beautifully from the last event in Pendergast life and the reader feels right at home. Agent Pendergast gets himself involved in a cat and mouse game that nearly gets our hero killed. The entire story is filled with one adventure after another. The only thing that I could find off with the book was the epilogue that seemed more like an afterthought but may be setting the stage for the next installment, so I won't be too critical of that.

message 18: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 352 comments February 4, 2018 Currently reading:

TEXT - Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner--for a neighborhood book club

Personal AUDIO - The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Dark in Death (In Death, #46) by J.D. Robb
Dark In Death by J.D. Robb
In Death series Book #46
5★

On a chilly February night, during a screening of Psycho in midtown, someone sunk an ice pick into the back of Chanel Rylan’s neck, then disappeared quietly into the crowds of drunks and tourists in Times Square. To Chanel’s best friend, who had just slipped out of the theater for a moment to take a call, it felt as unreal as the ancient black-and-white movie up on the screen. But Chanel’s blood ran red, and her death was anything but fictional. Then, as Eve Dallas puzzles over a homicide that seems carefully planned and yet oddly personal, she receives a tip from an unexpected source: an author of police thrillers who recognizes the crime―from the pages of her own book. Dallas doesn’t think it’s coincidence, since a recent strangulation of a sex worker resembles a scene from her writing as well.

It is always a pleasure to revisit Eve and Roark... and of course Galahad. The "In Death" series is high on my favorite series list. You can't help but love its characters...its relationships...and last, but not least...its mystery.

This book certainly didn't disappoint. It had its slow moments and the climax had you wondering just what you should feel for this poor pitiful creature, but you have to say it certainly packed a punch. Just what I have come to expect from an "In Death" novel. The investigation was intriguing, and kept the reader guessing...trying to out think the killer. The main characters were wonderful as always, their interactions and relationships realistic and the plot...with all its twists, was engaging.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Runaway by Peter May
Runaway by Peter May
4★

"Five of us had run away that fateful night just over a month before. Only three of us would be going home. And nothing, nothing would ever be the same again."

Glasgow, 1965. Headstrong teenager Jack Mackay cannot allow for even the possibility of a life of predictability and routine. The seventeen-year-old has just one destination on his mind--London--and successfully convinces his four friends, and fellow bandmates, to join him in abandoning their homes to pursue a goal of musical stardom.

Glasgow, 2015. Jack Mackay dares not look back on a life of failure and mediocrity. The heavy-hearted sixty-seven-year-old is still haunted by what might have been. His recollections of the terrible events that befell him and his friends some fifty years earlier, and how he did not act when it mattered most is a memory he has tried to escape his entire adult life.

London, 2015. A man lies dead in a one-room flat. His killer looks on, remorseless. What started with five teenagers following a dream five decades before has been transformed over the intervening decades into a waking nightmare that might just consume them all.

Three-quarters of the book is flashback where we learn about the early adventures of Jack and his friends in some detail. It was interesting to learn about the five young boys and why they left London, but it went on a bit too long. They also had numerous alarming and sometimes unbelievable series of encounters before getting away. It wasn't the best I have ever read by this author and I read later that it was partly based on real-life experiences by Peter May himself. I gave it 4 stars because overall it was interesting and entertaining by a really top of the line author.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Stepchild by Joanne Fluke
The Stepchild by Joanne Fluke
3.5★

Kathi Ellison is an English literature major at the University of California in Berkeley, living with her boyfriend off-campus. She is also the daughter of a candidate for the U.S. Senate and his wife, a role that could affect her life should her father win the election. But before she can consider her future, Kathi must first come to terms with her past. A car accident when she was four-years-old killed her mother and left her in a coma for several days. The migraines and nightmares that plagued her as a child have recently returned with a vengeance, leaving her mind full of visions that feel more like memories. Memories that are not her own. Memories of a frightened and traumatized child named Sheri Walker. Memories linked to her mother’s death that her stepmother doesn’t want her to remember.

It was a fairly good story even if you could figure out what was going to occur early on. I really liked the character of David but became a little frustrated with Kathi and her insecurities. The ending was also rather odd but I have read other books by this author that also had odd endings so maybe that is just one of her trademarks. The reader does get pulled into the story and you have to continue to read to see how it all will turn out.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Undertow by Elizabeth Heathcote
Undertow by Elizabeth Heathcote
3★

They said her death was a tragic accident. And I believed them…until now. Carmen is happily married to Tom, although she knows she'll always live in the shadow of another woman—the mistress who ended his first marriage: Zena. Mercurial, mesmerizing, manipulative Zena—a woman who, Carmen begins to discover, had the potential to incite the darkest of emotions. Zena, who drowned in the sea late one night. Zena seems ever-more present, even in death, and when Carmen unknowingly stumbles on evidence that her husband has not been telling her the whole truth, she can't shake her unease. As she uncovers documents and photographs, a very different tale than the one Tom has led her to believe begins to unfold, and she finds herself increasingly isolated and paranoid. As the twisted events of that night begin to come to light, Carmen must ask herself if it's really a truth worth knowing…even if it destroys her and the lives of the people she loves most.

The story started out strong but very quickly hit some serious bumps along the way. I became very irritated with the main character of Carmen and her constant whining and nagging. If I had been her husband I might have entertained the idea of killing her just to get her to shut up. She thinks he could have killed his former girlfriend..Zena.... but she convinces herself that she's okay with that if it is true....really??? This might appeal to fans of romantic suspense novels but I honestly didn't get too excited about it.

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments House Witness (Joe DeMarco, #12) by Mike Lawson
House Witness by Mike Lawson
Joe DeMarco series Book #12
3.5★

Mike Lawson puts his likable protagonist on the trail of a different kind of fixer―one whose job is to influence, and sometimes disappear, witnesses in seemingly airtight criminal cases. Minority Leader of the House and DeMarco’s long-time employer John Mahoney has kept more than one secret from his wife over the years, but none so explosive as this: He has a son, and that son has just been shot dead in a bar in Manhattan. Mahoney immediately dispatches DeMarco to New York to assist prosecutor Justine Porter, but with five bystanders willing to testify against the killer―rich-boy Toby Rosenthal―the case seems like a slam-dunk. That is, until Porter begins to suspect that someone is interfering with those witnesses, and that this may be connected to a pattern of cases across the country. Is there someone who is getting witnesses out of the way when the fate of a wealthy defendant is on the line?

What began as a political thriller turned more into something criminal and legal in nature... but it only helped to enhance the plot and the story. Joe DeMarco is forced to come to terms with the murder of his cousin, though there are even larger shocks on the horizon. The character of Joe DeMarco, as seasoned readers know, has both grit and determination, as well as charm with a rough exterior that usually gets him the results he seeks....but it is the character of Ella Fields that steal the limelight in this novel. Overall it’s a fun ride full of action and suspense with a solid twist towards the end that most of us won’t see coming.

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Ice Beneath Her by Camilla Grebe
The Ice Beneath Her by Camilla Grebe
4★

Winter’s chill has descended on Stockholm as police arrive at the scene of a shocking murder. An unidentified woman lies beheaded in a posh suburban home—a brutal crime made all the more disturbing by its uncanny resemblance to an unsolved killing ten years earlier. But this time there’s a suspect: the charismatic and controversial chain-store CEO Jesper Orre, who owns the home but is nowhere to be found. But they’re not the only ones searching. Two months before, Emma Bohman, a young clerk at Orre’s company, chanced to meet the charming chief executive, and romance swiftly bloomed. Almost as quickly as the passionate affair ignited, it was over when Orre inexplicably disappeared. One staggering misfortune after another followed, leaving Emma certain that her runaway lover was to blame and transforming her confusion and heartbreak into anger. Now, pursuing the same mysterious man for different reasons, Emma and the police are destined to cross paths in a chilling dance of obsession, vengeance, madness, and love gone hellishly wrong.

I realized about a third of the way into the book that I had read it when it first came out...of course I had forgotten some of it...so I continued to read and I'm glad I did. It's a compelling storyline even though I sometimes found it frustrating that it constantly jumped back and forth in time with each character's perspective of the murder. Some would describe it as "chick lit" pretending to be a police procedural but it had enough twists and turns to make it interesting.

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2) by James Rollins
Map of Bones by James Rollins
Sigma Force series Book #2
4★

It continues the story of the covert team and Painter Crowe who was the main character in the first book...Sandstorm. It's a fast-paced story that rarely takes a break between action scenes, and was somewhat exhausting frantically racing from one scene to the next.

This story delves into Catholic relics, secret organizations within the Vatican, uninspired Gospel accounts, and lost treasures of the Knights Templar. Many of the scientific discussions about magnetism, super conductors, etc. were a bit over-my-head, but they made for an interesting plot.

message 26: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 352 comments February 13, 2018 Currently reading:

TEXT - Rising Tide The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America by John M. Barry Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America by John M. Barry--reading for a nonfiction book club

Personal AUDIO - My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman--just starting on a recommendation from a friend when I said I loved A Man Called Ove

AUDIO in the car - Two Kinds of Truth (Harry Bosch, #20; Harry Bosch Universe, #30) by Michael Connelly Two Kinds of Truth by Michael Connelly - #20 in the Hieronymus Bosch series!

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments No Saints in Kansas by Amy Brashear
No Saints in Kansas by Amy Brashear
4.5★

>i>November is usually quiet in Holcomb, Kansas, but in 1959, the town is shattered by the quadruple murder of the Clutter family. Suspicion falls on Nancy Clutter’s boyfriend, Bobby Rupp, the last one to see them alive. New Yorker Carly Fleming, new to the small Midwestern town, is an outsider. She tutored Nancy, and (in private, at least) they were close. Carly and Bobby were the only ones who saw that Nancy was always performing, and that she was cracking under the pressure of being Holcomb’s golden girl. This secret connected Carly and Bobby. Now that Bobby is an outsider, too, they’re bound closer than ever. Determined to clear Bobby’s name, Carly dives into the murder investigation and ends up in trouble with the local authorities. But that’s nothing compared to the wrath she faces from Holcomb once the real perpetrators are caught. When her father is appointed to defend the killers of the Clutter family, the entire town labels the Flemings as traitors. Now Carly must fight for what she knows is right.

I found the character of Carly entirely too impulsive to be very likable and her "investigation" of the murders might have been more believable if she had been an adult but a 16 year old was just too much. I really liked the way that the author incorporated Truman Copote into the fabric of the story. Although this is billed as a "young adult" novel, anyone with an interest in the Clutter murders or small town life will find this novel appealing. Carly is of course, a fictional character,but most of the other characters and situations are based on the actual murders that Truman Copote wrote about in his book In Cold Blood.

message 28: by Carol (last edited Feb 15, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Child The Must-Read Richard and Judy Book Club Pick 2018 by Fiona Barton
The Child by Fiona Barton

As an old house is demolished in a gentrifying section of London, a workman discovers human remains, buried for years. For journalist Kate Waters, it’s a story that deserves attention. She cobbles together a piece for her newspaper, but at a loss for answers, she can only pose a question: Who has been found at the building site?

As Kate investigates, she unearths connections to a crime that rocked the city decades earlier: A child was stolen from the maternity ward in a local hospital and was never found. Her heartbroken parents were left devastated by the loss.

But there is more to the story, and Kate is drawn—house by house—into the pasts of the people who once lived in this neighborhood that has given up its greatest mystery. And she soon finds herself the keeper of unexpected secrets that erupt in the lives of three women—and torn between what she can and cannot tell.

A construction worker uncovers an infant’s skeleton. The discovery is made in the back garden of a derelict house in a district of Southeast London that is being demolished. Journalist Kate Waters can't wait to sink her teeth into finding out the child's identity. In the mean time two other women come to believe that the baby is tied to their lives through their past actions. The reader is drawn back and forth between each character’s back story and their present situation. You are constantly figuring out what role each plays in the discovery of the child...but as soon as you think you've figured out who did what...it changes. The only thing I found a determent to the book was the story went on way past the point that it should have ended and became rather tedious.

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Open Grave by Kjell Eriksson
Open Grave by Kjell Ericksson
2.5 ★

Professor Bertram von Ohler has been awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine. This news causes problems in his otherwise quiet upper-class neighborhood. Not everybody is happy with the choice of winner. Mysterious incidents start to occur. Boyish pranks say the police, but what follows is certainly not innocent amusement. Police inspector Ann Lindell becomes involved in the case and immediately is transported back into her own past.

I can't really say anything bad about the book that really stands out. I believe my rating was based entirely on the fact that the book just didn't appeal to me or hold my interest. I found it boring. It boils down to simply to too much talk and not enough action.

message 30: by Carol (last edited Feb 20, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant
In the Company of the Courtesan
3★

My lady, Fiammetta Bianchini, was plucking her eyebrows and biting color into her lips when the unthinkable happened and the Holy Roman Emperor's army blew a hole in the wall of Godâ's eternal city, letting in a flood of half-starved, half-crazed troops bent on pillage and punishment. With a mix of courage and cunning they infiltrate Venetian society. Together they make the perfect partnership: the sharp-tongued, sharp-witted dwarf, and his vibrant mistress, trained from birth to charm, entertain, and satisfy men who have the money to support her. Yet as their fortunes rise, this perfect partnership comes under threat, from the searing passion of a lover who wants more than his allotted nights to the attentions of an admiring Turk in search of human novelties for his sultanâ's court. But Fiammetta and Bucinoâ's greatest challenge comes from a young crippled woman, a blind healer who insinuates herself into their lives and hearts with devastating consequences for them all.

The author has painted a fascinating portrait of Venice in the troubled sixteenth century. I found the book to be entertaining and the characters very realistic. However I would have preferred it to have been less wordy without so much repetition. Overall...an interesting account of a very talented courtesan and her devoted dwarf.

message 31: by Carol (last edited Feb 21, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Dead Men's Bones (Inspector McLean, #4) by James Oswald
Dead Men's Bones by James Oswald
Inspector McLean series Book #4
4.5 ★

The murder/suicide of a prominent Scottish politician and his family brings Edinburgh-based Detective Inspector Tony McLean out to the countryside to investigate. The powers that be want a quick report and then to have the whole thing buried, but McLean believes there's more to the case than meets the eye. The more lies he uncovers, the more McLean comes to realize there is a connection between the influential politician and another case he's working--the body of a man, stark naked and covered from head to toe in fresh tattoos, found in a river to the south of Edinburgh. But investigating the link between the two could have detrimental implications for his career, not to mention his life. As McLean faces the pressure to wrap up the case, he comes face to face with an ancient evil that will put everyone he cares about at risk.

I can think of three adjectives to describe this entire series...sometimes funny, frequently scary, and always otherworldly. It has quickly become one of my favorites. We follow Detective Inspector Tony McLean as he conducts his investigation through two cases that become intertwined. To solve both cases he must unearth the truth that lies beneath an old abandoned mental asylum thus putting his own team at risk in the process. This series will appeal to those that like a mystery with just a touch of the supernatural.

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Full Wolf Moon (Jeremy Logan, #5) by Lincoln Child
Full Wolf Moonby Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Jeremy Logan series Book #5
4★

Jeremy Logan, the renowned "enigmalogist," has often found himself in situations where keeping an open mind could mean the difference between life and death, and that has never been more true than now.

When Logan travels to an isolated writers' retreat deep in the Adirondacks to work on his book, he discovers the remote community has been rocked by the grisly death of a hiker on Desolation Mountain. The attack occurred during the full moon and the body was severely mauled, but the unusual savagery calls into question the initial suspicions of a bear attack. Logan's theories take a dramatic turn when he meets Laura Feverbridge, a respected scientist who is still struggling with the violent loss of her father months earlier. As Feverbridge shares her research with Logan, he begins to wonder whether he is actually up against something he can’t believe is real.

I believe I would call this book a "near werewolf" tale. The story is written in a more relaxed style than the usual offerings from this author...so it may not be everyone's "cuppa tea". I even found myself wanting the story to speed up. The book is well written and the characters are interesting but you have to spend some time getting to know them. Some of the ideas that the "research expert" had in his ever-so-secret lab was a bit far fetched but then so was a lot of the story to begin with. You just have to take it for what it is...an entertaining story with a very unusual take on the "Wolfman" concept.

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Look For Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #9) by Lisa Gardner [Look For Me by Lisa Gardner
D.D. Warren series Book #9
3★

The home of a family of five is now a crime scene: four of them savagely murdered, one—a sixteen-year-old girl—missing. Was she lucky to have escaped? Or is her absence evidence of something sinister? Detective D. D. Warren is on the case—but so is survivor-turned-avenger Flora Dane. Seeking different types of justice, they must make sense of the clues left behind by a young woman who, whether as victim or suspect, is silently pleading, "Look for me."

So many "Only what if" moments throughout this story. Some readers will find it very disturbing with the children being harmed...an entire family destroyed...and irreparable damage to the soul survivor. I've read this series for years and the cases were always interesting but this one leaves a hollow, dark, uneasy feeling. It's not badly written by any means...and finding out who the killer is becomes a real obsession...at least it did for me. One of the lessons the reader will bring away at the conclusion is that reality can most often be unfair and heart-breaking.

message 34: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda
Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda
3.5★

Paul Strom has the perfect life: a glittering career as an advertising executive, a beautiful wife, two healthy boys and a big house in a wealthy suburb. And he’s the perfect husband: breadwinner, protector, provider. That’s why he’s planned a romantic weekend for his wife, Mia, at their lake house, just the two of them. And he’s promised today will be the best day ever. But as Paul and Mia drive out of the city and toward the countryside, a spike of tension begins to wedge itself between them and doubts start to arise. How much do they trust each other? And how perfect is their marriage, or any marriage, really?

You realize that there is something wrong with Paul Strom from the first page. That's WRONG with all screaming, capital letters. The voice we hear through 90% of the book is Paul's. He believes he is the perfect husband, perfect father, well gee..he is just perfect! I didn't understand how anyone as smart as Mia...his wife...couldn't see what he was. From Paul's point of view they are the perfect couple. She’s beautiful. He’s rich and successful. They live in a gorgeous suburban home and have two perfect boys. The rest of the world is just too inferior to even be given a thought. Like all narcissist there is under the surface a simmering, ready to explode dark side. This was not a perfect story and towards the end, I had had enough of these people, but I have to admit that it was a fun read. Crazy and disaster always waiting to happen. Paul loves Paul so much that he can’t believe the things that are about to happen to his perfect life. It was so much fun to witness Paul’s failures because he’s the type of guy you are just waiting and hoping for someone to punch.

message 35: by Carol (last edited Feb 25, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Fear the Darkness (Brigid Quinn, #2) by Becky Masterman
Fear The Darkness by Becky Masterman
Bridget Quinn Series Book #2
3★

It's hard to recognize the devil when his hand is on your shoulder. That's because a psychopath is just a person before he becomes a headline….Psychopaths have preferences for Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts coffee, denim or linen, Dickens or…well, you get the point.

Ex-FBI agent Brigid Quinn has seen more than her share of psychopaths. She is ready to put all that behind her, building a new life in Tucson with a husband, friends, and some nice quiet work as a private investigator. Sure, she could still kill a man half her age, but she now gets her martial arts practice by teaching self-defense at a women's shelter. But sometimes it isn't that simple. When her sister-in-law dies, Brigid take in her seventeen-year-old niece, Gemma Kate. There has always been something unsettling about Gemma-Kate, but family is family. Which is fine, until Gemma-Kate starts taking an unhealthy interest in dissecting the local wildlife. Meanwhile, Brigid agrees to help a local couple by investigating the death of their son―which also turns out not to be that simple. Her house isn't the sanctuary it used to be, and new dangers―including murder―seem to lurk everywhere. Brigid starts to wonder if there is anyone she can trust, or if the devil has simply moved closer to home.

For me the story started very slow and it didn't really pick up to the point where you just have to keep reading to see what will happen next until about half-way through the book. If you can stick it out that long then you will find some good twists and a very satisfactory conclusion. I thought from the start that there was something not quite right about Gemma-Kate. She seemed just too good to be true. If you like mysteries that take awhile to solve then you will like this one.

message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2652 comments Mod
Currently reading, effective: Sunday, Feb 25

TEXT - Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson

AUDIO in the car - My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

MP3 audio - Plaid and Plagiarism (Highland Bookshop Mystery #1) by Molly MacRae Plaid and Plagiarism by Molly MacRae

message 37: by Carol (last edited Mar 02, 2018 03:39AM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2) by C.S. Harris
When Gods Die by C.S. Harris
Sebastian St. Cyr series Book #2
4.5★

The young wife of an aging marquis is found murdered in the arms of the Prince Regent. Around her neck lies a necklace said to have been worn by Druid priestesses-that is, until it was lost at sea with its last owner, Sebastian St. Cyr's mother. Now Sebastian is lured into a dangerous investigation of the marchioness's death-and his mother's uncertain fate.

I like Sebastian's lifestyle and his values. His relationship with the gritty surgeon and the young tiger, Tom, and of course the on going romance with Kat. The beginning seemed extremely complex to me. I really struggled with Harris's initial outlay of the key families...finally resorting to making a chart of who was related to whom. By mid-book it started to flow a little better...but it would help greatly if the author would include this in the front of the books. The character of Sebastian St. Cyr is a very complex one...bloodthirsty when confronting his enemies but caring about those that he loves. Excellent series for those of us that love a good mystery as well as history.

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Deadly Memories by Joanne Fluke
Deadly Memories by Joanne Fluke
3★

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The last thing Maura Thomas remembers before her car careened over a steep embankment is having dinner with her college roommate - over 20 years ago. Everything in between is a blank. Maura has no recollection of her husband, her daughter, or her busy, glamorous existence as owner of a Beverly Hills boutique. Maura can't even be sure that everyone around her is who they claim to be. Is it paranoia or self-preservation that makes her uneasy? And then there are the images starting to fill her head - pictures of a life at odds with everything she's been told. As Maura begins to piece together the fragments of her previous life, she grows convinced that her car crash was no accident. But the moment she remembers the truth she'll find herself at the mercy of a killer determined to silence her forever.

I like her books that don't deal in food and endless recipes. The story seemed to be a pretty straight forward case of amnesia after an auto accident...but the reader soon learns that the amnesia is anything but straight forward and the accident maybe was not all it seemed. There was some really good twists along the way to an unexpected conclusion.

message 39: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2018 07:39AM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Night Moves (Alex Delaware, #33) by Jonathan Kellerman
Night Moves by Jonathan Kellerman
Alex Delaware series Book #33
4.5★

Even with all his years of experience, LAPD homicide detective Milo Sturgis knows there are crimes his skill and savvy cannot solve alone. That’s when he calls on brilliant psychologist Alex Delaware to read between the lines, where the darkest motives lurk. And if ever the good doctor’s insight is needed, it’s at the scene of a murder as baffling as it is brutal. There’s no spilled blood, no evidence of a struggle, and, thanks to the victim’s missing face and hands, no immediate means of identification. And no telling why the disfigured corpse of a stranger has appeared in an upscale L.A. family’s home. Chet Corvin, his wife, and their two teenage children are certain the John Doe is unknown to them. Despite that, their cooperation seems guarded. And that’s more than Milo and Alex can elicit from the Corvins’ creepy next-door neighbor—a notorious cartoonist with a warped sense of humor and a seriously antisocial attitude.

This was a great series right from the very beginning with Book #1 back in 1985. The characters of Police Lieutenant Milo Sturgis and psychiatrist Alex Delaware blended perfectly to create stories that were not only well done but entertaining and left the reader wanting more. Offering #33 brings suspenseful situations with a headless body with the hands also missing along with plenty of different takes as to how the case may go. In a nutshell...it's Kellerman at his best

message 40: by Carol (last edited Mar 05, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross, #3) by Brad Parks

The Girl next Door by Brad Parks
Carter Ross series Book #3
4.5★

Reading his own newspaper's obituaries, veteran reporter Carter Ross comes across that of a woman named Nancy Marino, who was the victim of a hit-and-run while she was on the job delivering copies of that very paper, the Eagle-Examiner. Struck by the opportunity to write a heroic piece about an everyday woman killed too young, he heads to her wake to gather tributes and anecdotes. It's the last place Ross expects to find controversy--which is exactly what happens when one of Nancy's sisters convinces him that the accident might not have been accidental at all.

Of course, me being me, I started at the #3 book instead of the #1. I guess it didn't really matter much except I might have learned what a sense of humor Carter Ross has and not been so surprised. Brad Parks has created in Carter Ross a likable character that has personality, charm and integrity. He also is owned by a charming cat named "Deadline" that Ross describes as "dormant". We were offered a plateful of bad guys...but I never guessed the identity until nearly the end. I would recommend this series for anyone that is looking for a good mystery that doesn't take itself too seriously.

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1) by Michelle Gagnon
The Tunnel] by Michelle Gagnon
Kelly Jones series Book #1
4.5★

Kelly is back on familiar turf here: she is an alumnus of the college and is aware of, but not particularly familiar with, the series of tunnels that snake beneath the campus. These tunnels are the scenes of two horrific crimes: two female students have been hung in front of symbols painted on the tunnel walls and their blood drained from them. Together with her FBI partner Roger Morrow, Kelly needs to decipher the meaning behind what appear to be ritualistic killings before another murder takes place.

Michelle Gagnon has created an intelligent, confident character in Kelly Jones who grows more complex and more interesting as the story progresses. The members of her investigative team are also well drawn... particularly the character of Jake Riley who works for the father of one of the dead girls. The identity of the murderer is fairly obvious early into the story, but the reasoning behind the crimes when revealed at the end seems rather strained. If you can overlook that little flaw...which I found I could...it was a very good start to what I hope becomes a favorite series.

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares by Joyce Carol Oates
The Corn Maiden & Other Nightmares by Joyce Carol Oates
2 ★

Step into the vivid imagination of Joyce Carol oates for seven tales of susspense that will keep you riveted to the page. In addition to the terrifying title story, Oates offes six other tles of night, including the never before published "Helping Hands".

I guess the publisher and myself have two entirely different ideas of "terrifying" and "nightmare". I didn't see anything in any of these stories that could have possibly been described with either of those adjectives. I can't say they were bad stories or that they were badly written...they just weren't what I was expecting.

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Be Careful What You Witch For (A Family Fortune Mystery, #2) by Dawn Eastman
Be Careful What You Witch For by Dawn Eastman
Family Fortune Mystery Series Book #2
3★

Leaving a traumatic police career behind, Clyde Fortune has returned to her seemingly quiet hometown of Crystal Haven, Michigan. In spite of the psychic powers of its residents, there’s no telling what trouble is brewing in this burg. The highlight of this year's fall festival in Crystal Haven is a bonfire with a witch’s cauldron resting over it. Clyde’s best friend, Diana, leads a ritual to divine the future, but it seems no one foresees that one of their own will drop dead—or that Diana will be a prime suspect. Clyde already has her hands full with her eccentric family, runaway nephew, and burgeoning secret romance with a hunky homicide detective. But after another coven member is attacked, Clyde suspects there’s a witch hunt afoot and focuses her psychic and sleuthing skills to clear her friend’s name and catch a killer.

I was interested in this series since I learned that Crystal Haven is a real town near Grand Rapids, Michigan and only about an hour and a half from where I live. I'm not a fan of "cozy" mysteries but I do like books with supernatural themes and what better than a few murders in a witch's coven? Besides, Clyde has two wonderful dogs...Baxter and Tuffy which are a regular part of the series and communicate regularly with Clyde's tarot card reading Aunt Vi. If you are looking for a non- gory mystery with interesting and humorous characters...then this just might be for you.

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Virtue Falls (Virtue Falls #1) by Christina Dodd
[Virtue Falls] by Christina Dodd
Virtue Falls series Book #1
3 ★

Twenty-three years ago, in the isolated coastal town of Virtue Falls, Washington, four year old Elizabeth Banner witnessed her mother's brutal murder. Elizabeth's father was convicted of killing Misty and sentenced to prison. Elizabeth grew from a solitary child to a beautiful woman with a cool scientific mind and an instinctive distrust of love. Now Elizabeth is back in Virtue Falls, a geologist like her father, her life guided by logic and facts. But nothing can help her through the emotional chaos that follows the return of her ex-husband, Garik Jacobsen, an FBI agent on probation and tortured by the guilt of his past deeds. Nor can it help her deal with her father, now stricken with Alzheimer's and haunted by Misty's ghost. When a massive earthquake reveals long-concealed secrets, Is the killer still at large, stalking ever closer to the one witness to Misty's murder? To Elizabeth herself? Elizabeth and Garik investigate, stirring old dark and deadly resentments that could provoke another bloody murder...Elizabeth's own.

The story is multi - layered with secrets. While I enjoyed the plot of the book, it wasn't long into the story before the character's dialog began to grate on my nerves. The book also jumped between time frames and had so many characters it became difficult to keep up with them. I gave it 3 stars because it was fast-paced with an interesting plot in spite of the story being a somewhat predictable.

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2289 comments Mirage (The Oregon Files, #9) by Clive Cussler
Mirage by Clive Cussler & Jack DuBrul
Oregon File Series Book #9
5 ★

In October 1943, a U.S. destroyer sailed out of Philadelphia and supposedly vanished, the result of a Navy experiment with electromagnetic radiation. The story was considered a hoax-but now Juan Cabrillo and his Oregon colleagues aren't so sure.There is talk of a new weapon soon to be sold, something very dangerous to America's interests, and the rumors link it to the great inventor Nikola Tesla, who was working with the Navy when he died in 1943. Was he responsible for the experiment? Are his notes in the hands of enemies?As Cabrillo races to find the truth, he discovers there is even more at stake than he could have imagined-but by the time he realizes it, he may already be too late.

The Oregon Files is an extraordinary series that will appeal to fans of adventure, intrigue, mystery, with a dash of the scientific and a good dose of history. Anyone that has read about any of Tesla's experimenter will soon be caught up in the mystery of how a 1940's ship ended up in the now dry sea bed of Aral Sea in Uzbekistan. The characters are like likable and the reader will soon come to regard them as family....okay...a family with a punch.

message 46: by SANDYE (new)

SANDYE (sandye_c) My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall
My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall

My Mother Was Nuts is an intimate backstage pass to Penny’s personal life, her breakout role on The Odd Couple, her exploits with Cindy Williams and John Belushi, and her travels across Europe with Art Garfunkel on the back of a motorcycle. We see Penny get married. And divorced. And married again (the second time to Rob Reiner). We meet a young Carrie Fisher, whose close friendship with Penny has spanned decades. And we see Penny at work with Tom Hanks, Mark Wahlberg, Whoopi Goldberg, Robert De Niro, and Whitney Houston.

Throughout it all, from her childhood spent tap dancing in the Bronx, to her rise as the star of Laverne & Shirley, Penny lived by simple rules: “try hard, help your friends, don’t get too crazy, and have fun.” With humor and heart, My Mother Was Nuts reveals there’s no one else quite like Penny Marshall.

So far, I am loving this book. I've never read an autobiography before. I'm glad I chose this as my first. I'm 100 pages in and I have laughed at parts of it the whole way through so far!

message 48: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I am currently finishing up

Endless Night by Agatha Christie

It is definitely not one of her best stories but she wrote a ton of books. She couldn't make every one of them a hit, I figure.

message 49: by Marilyn (last edited Mar 20, 2018 11:40AM) (new)

Marilyn Lott | 352 comments March 13, 2017 Currently reading:

TEXT - Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy--since we're about to leave on a Caribbean cruise, this book is just too scary, about children kidnapped while on a shore excursion!

AUDIO in the car - Fire and Fury Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff--both my husband and I are finding it really interesting...

Personal AUDIO - Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro by Kazuo Ishiguro--for yet another book club

message 50: by SANDYE (new)

SANDYE (sandye_c) Her Perfect Revenge: The Screenplay
Her Perfect Revenge by Anna Mara

According to my Kindle I'm 24% of the way into this story (this one doesn't have page numbers unfortunately), and so far I'm not all that impressed. I keep reading though and telling myself it'll get better. Hopefully I'm right and I'm not just wasting precious reading time! *fingers crossed*

« previous 1 3 4 5 6