HUGH DANCY
Progress: 0/4

~*~PopSugar Challenge~*~
Progress: 0/10

~*~TBR Jar Challenge~*~
Progress: 0/10

~*~Chain Reaction Challenge~*~
Progress: 0/12

message 2: by Eirelyn (last edited Feb 05, 2018 03:23PM) (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1213 comments These are the books I plan to read in January:

~Caraval by Stephanie Garber
~Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
~A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
~Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

message 3: by Willemijn (last edited Jan 02, 2018 01:56AM) (new)

Willemijn (willemijn_z) | 201 comments I really loved Ready Player One. Enjoy and good luck this year!

message 4: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1213 comments Willemijn wrote: "I really loved Ready Player One. Enjoy and good luck this year!"

Thank you! :D

message 5: by Eirelyn (last edited Apr 17, 2018 09:27PM) (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1213 comments ***JANUARY 2018***

~A Court of Thorns and Roses
Slow getting going but picked up around the middle. The second half was much better and I was glad that (despite the answer being obvious) she had to use the answer to the riddle as a last resort to save everyone once Amarantha tried to trick her out of their freedom. - 3.5 stars

~Caraval
Mysterious & magical, this book was well-written with the perfect amount of enchantment and interesting characters who came to life on the page. - 4.5 stars

~Ready Player One
Interesting, realistic character in Wade. Completely immersive and interesting world, with lots of nostalgic references & suspenseful action. - 4.75 stars

~Sharp Objects
Depressing read, full of unlikable characters & loads of mental health issues, making me feel as though I were treading in an abyss every time I opened the book. Well-written, however, and good for what it was. Just not my type of sub-genre. - 2.75 stars

Best Book of the Month: Caraval & Ready Player One were both excellent books. I was completely immersed in each of these worlds and didn't want to leave them once the books had ended!

Worst Book of the Month: Sharp Objects - despite how well-written it was, the deep dark abyss of this mental health-centric sub-genre is not something I enjoy.

Most Surprising Book of the Month: Ready Player One - I was surprised by how immersed I was in the world of this novel and by how much I truly enjoyed the entire story.

Average Star Rating: 3.81

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Caraval (Caraval, #1) by Stephanie Garber Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

message 6: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Looks like an awesome month Eirelyn! May February be as great!

message 7: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1213 comments Susy wrote: "Looks like an awesome month Eirelyn! May February be as great!"

Thanks, Susy! :D Same to you!

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Eirelyn wrote: "Susy wrote: "Looks like an awesome month Eirelyn! May February be as great!"

Thanks, Susy! :D Same to you!"

Thx Eirelyn! 😊

message 9: by Eirelyn (last edited Mar 01, 2018 02:49AM) (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1213 comments ***FEBRUARY 2018***

~The Onesies, Fall (Totlandia #1)
Shallow, whiny characters who all seemed like the same person with the same voice. Only a couple likable characters with interesting storylines, but they weren't focused on enough. - 3.0 stars

~Heartless
Likable characters with a unique back story for the Queen of Hearts. Meyer's writing style is fabulous, but the plot line left something to be desired. It felt like the conclusion of the story was almost an afterthought, as though Meyer wasn't entirely sure how to transform Cath's sweet, naive character into the cruel, vicious Queen of Hearts. - 3.5 stars

~The Girl With All the Gifts
Most of the characters were not relatable; they seemed very run-of-the-mill with no unique personality traits, as though they had been plucked from a "character archetype" list and were not fleshed out any further than the standard traits. The book had a great beginning and a decent ending, but the middle left a lot to be desired. The characters simply wandered around without a whole lot happening, as though the author forgot how to write a middle (or just got lazy and thought the ending would make up for the lackluster middle). I was bored for half of this book, waiting for something interesting to happen again. When it finally did, it was right at the end and then it was over... Very frustrating. - 3.25 stars

~Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants
Characters were not fleshed out enough & didn't have distinct voices. The writing style could be a bit irritating at times, especially when one character would *think* something and then *say* the exact same thing right after ("Matthew was starting to freak out. 'Ryan, I'm starting to freak out!'"). And then the lack of a proper ending was unforgivable. There was no resolution, and there were no answers about how they arrived on the island, why they were there, where they were going when they "left," or what was going on in the dreams they kept having. However, this was written by a 12-year-old and geared towards a "juvenile fiction" audience, so I have cut it some slack. - 3.0 stars

Best Book of the Month: Heartless

Worst Book of the Month: Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants

Most Surprising Book of the Month: Heartless - I was positive I would love this story, after having read (& fallen in love with) the Lunar Chronicles series; however, this was not the case. This novel had so much potential but just didn't live up to it at all.

Average Star Rating: 3.18

Other Notes: This has been the worst "average star rating" for a month since joining the GR book club.

The Onesies, Fall (Totlandia #1) by Josie Brown Heartless by Marissa Meyer The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts #1) by M.R. Carey Island Games Mystery of the Four Quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer

message 10: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1213 comments ***MARCH 2018***

~The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
An interesting novel with elements of mystery & coming-of-age, presented by a unique perspective in Christopher's character, who learned & grew as a person throughout the novel. - 4.0 stars

~Salt to the Sea
Most characters were interesting enough to keep reading, but I wasn't completely drawn in by any of them. I liked the historical aspects of the story and the mystery surrounding the Amber Room, as well as a great look at such a tragic event, which should be more well-known considering more than 9000 people lost their lives. The pacing of the story was a bit off, with the first half depicting the trek to the port, then quickly to the climax, and then no falling action, and a conclusion in the form of a letter to one of the mains from a character we had never even met. - 3.75 stars

~Every Day
Interesting concept but ended very abruptly without much conclusion. Although it had some good messages about acceptance, it could be rather preachy at some points. One of these "preachy" moments (that happened multiple times) was A's criticism of Rhiannon's inability to be attracted to both males and females (as A would change from body to body). Also, it seemed as though the bigger picture of the story (the fact that there are more "people" out there like A) was completely glossed over and cast aside to make room for A's very quickly developed, almost stalker-ish fixation on Rhiannon. The writing was good and I enjoyed seeing A deal with so many different personalities and life styles; the concept had great potential; and the overarching plot line could have been very interesting, had it been a bigger aspect of the story. I assume the next novel will deal more with that, and I look forward to finding out what happens because I was left feeling rather dissatisfied with the way this particular book ended, with nothing resolved. - 3.75 stars

Best Book of the Month: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Worst Book of the Month: Salt to the Sea

Most Surprising Book of the Month: Every Day - not that the entire book was surprising, but I was surprised by the lack of a conclusion.

Average Star Rating: 3.83

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys Every Day by David Levithan

message 11: by Eirelyn (last edited May 02, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1213 comments ***APRIL 2018***

1) ~Confessions of a Shopaholic
A quick, light read with undertones of seriousness and issues which are easily relatable. I would've liked for the other characters (namely Luke & Suze) to have been developed better and given deeper storylines of their own, and I didn't like the way Becky's life suddenly shifted completely in her favor and she no longer had to worry about any of her previous issues -- the movie portrayed this aspect much better, forcing her to compromise (by selling her designer merchandise) in order to do the responsible thing to pay off her debt. - 4.25 stars

2) ~Hunted
I really liked this story but as a novella, it felt a bit rushed, especially towards the end. I wanted the action of the "game" to last a while longer, but as it was, it seemed to zoom by with Shelley immediately knowing exactly what to do and coming out on top with no difficulty whatsoever. I was glad to see that his wife was not some damsel in distress and could handle herself, but I would have liked to have seen more from her and what she could do, maybe even becoming a bigger factor in helping her husband during the "game." - 4.00 stars

3) ~Everything, Everything
Very good story with a believable romance. I enjoyed the trip to Hawaii and really loved the twist, which I hadn't expected at all! I was fully prepared for this girl to get sick and die, so I was pleased that the author decided to go another route. My only complaint was that the story ended a bit abruptly, at least where Maddy & Olly were concerned. I wanted to see a little more between them once they reuinted, with maybe a brief flash to some time in the future to kind of update us on how they were doing. I'd love to see a sequel to find out how she spends her time now that she is out and about, as well as how she manages to deal with her mom and forgiveness. - 4.50 stars

4) ~I've Got Your Number
An enjoyable read, filled with funny scenes & silly shenanigans. Some of the things that happen to Poppy seem a little outrageous, espeically to all happen to one person in such a short period of time. But that doesn't really take away from the enjoyment of the novel. It's meant to be a light, fluffy read and that's how I took it. Characters like this do drive me a little bit crazy though with how weak-willed and pushover-y they can be. As long as the person comes around by the end of the novel, it's usually okay. But I disliked how she was so willing to take her cheating fiance back just because she was afraid of being alone. It was like she realized that Sam wasn't going to be with her so she thought she had to settle for the cheater. Horrible. I'm glad she came to her senses, even if that happened at the altar. The whole ending with leaving her wedding to go across the street and spend time with Sam was a little weird. And especially inviting him to her reception! I understand not wanting to waste all of that money, so you may as well go to the reception and try to salvage whatever you can of the day. It was just a very odd scenario, especially once Sam was brought into it. This whole book was a little bit (a lot) off the wall, but it was still a fun read. - 3.75 stars

5) ~Roomies
I really like this kind of "slice of life" story that focuses on a very short time period, in a coming-of-age manner. This was an interesting read with relatable characters dealing with "everyday life" sorts of things. It was nothing earth-shattering but it was enjoyable and relatable. My only complaint was that I wanted to see the girls finally meeting at the very end. - 4.0 stars

Best Book of the Month: Everything, Everything - It had a good storyline with a cute romance, and I absolutely loved the twist.

Worst Book of the Month: I've Got Your Number - Not that it was bad at all; it wasn't. But a lot of the scenarios seemed very far-fetched and it drove me nuts that Poppy was so willing to ignore Magnus's indiscretions at the end. If there hadn't been mention of Magnus not actually buying the new ring for her, she probably would have gone through with the wedding. I wanted her to be strong and decisive and realize that he was not the man for her, on her own. But she was never able to do that.

Most Surprising Book of the Month: Everything, Everything - It seemed like it was going to be a really sad book about learning to truly live despite dying, but the twist made it into something much more intriguing and much less sad, which I was glad for.

Average Star Rating: 4.10

Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) by Sophie Kinsella Hunted by James Patterson Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella Roomies by Sara Zarr