Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Best and Worst of 2017

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12911 comments What were your favorite reads of 2017?

Your least favorite?

Did you re-read any books in 2017?

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12911 comments My favorites were:
- All the Light We Cannot See
- Madonna in a Fur Coat
- Dom Casmurro
- The Roots of Heaven
- The Blind Assassin

Least favorite book:
- Platform

I don't typically re-read many books, but I was surprised to learn that I re-read 11 books last year!

message 3: by Rosemarie (last edited Jan 02, 2018 02:53PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 3071 comments I have to think about my favourite books, since I read a lot of good ones.
One that stands out is The Moon and the Bonfire by Cesare Pavese.
Others are Jude the Obscure, One Hundred Years of Solitude, Things Fall Apart, The Heart of Midlothian and Dom Casmurro.

The book I really did not like is Les Enfants terribles by Jean Cocteau. I gave it one star.

I also reread a number of books.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 865 comments It's really hard to pick my favourite books but I loved The Poisonwood Bible, The Compromise, and How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed.

I don't have a least favourite as I generally abandon books if I'm not enjoying them.

I re-read Little Women for the umpteenth time!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 381 comments I loved reading The Arabian Nights and the companion Sindbad: And Other Stories from the Arabian Nights.
I also really enjoyed The Complete Persepolis.

I have a couple I rated lower than the others, but they don't stick out as terrible reads I'm sorry to have picked up.

I did reread A Fortune-Teller Told Me: Earthbound Travels in the Far East this year. I love this book and I'm sure I will it a third time just as happily.

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 424 comments Like Diane I was surprised that I re-read more books than I had thought (10). My top reads were My Cousin Rachel, Silence, Reader, I Married Him: Stories Inspired by Jane Eyre and The Miniaturist. My disappointment was Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2. I'm glad to see Diane and Rosemarie mentioned Dom Casmurro I'm looking forward to reading that in February.

message 8: by HomeInMyShoes (last edited Jan 02, 2018 05:31PM) (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 141 comments Apparently I liked my country in 2017 a lot:
The Education of Augie Merasty: A Residential School Memoir
And the Birds Rained Down

My worst read of the year was:
Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again

I don't reread much but I did reread some old favorites with my son. Really enjoyed James and the Giant Peach and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

message 9: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Jan 02, 2018 05:36PM) (new)

Diane | 12911 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have to think about my favourite books, since I read a lot of good ones.
One that stands out is The Moon and the Bonfire "

I forgot about One Hundred Years of Solitude. I read it in 2017 and it was a 5 star read for me.

message 10: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12911 comments Cheryl wrote: "It's really hard to pick my favourite books but I loved The Poisonwood Bible, The Compromise, and How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed.

I don't have ..."

Poisonwood is one of my all time favorites.

message 11: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12911 comments Laurie wrote: "These were all five star reads for me in 2017:
A Lesson Before Dying
The Bluest Eye
A Raisin in the Sun
The Return of the Soldier
[book:Astrophysi..."

I am going to guess that you aren't a fan of magic realism.

message 12: by Ilyssa (new)

Ilyssa Guerra | 4 comments My fav book of 2017 was The Hate U Give. My least fav was Allegiant. I reread the Harry Potter series and Furiously Happy.

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 627 comments Diane wrote: "Laurie wrote: "These were all five star reads for me in 2017:
A Lesson Before Dying
The Bluest Eye
A Raisin in the Sun
The Return of the Soldier
[..."

No, I am not much of a fan of magical realism. I liked Like Water for Chocolate, but that's one of the few.

message 14: by Shelby (last edited Jan 21, 2018 06:28PM) (new)

Shelby | 8 comments Some of my favorite reads of 2017 are
The Runaway Rock Star by Veronica Blade Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews Fire & Brimstone (Neighbor from Hell, #8) by R.L. Mathewson

I didn't really have any least favorites.

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 3 comments I had 10 five star reads in 2017 (6 were rereads)

4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster
Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (reread)
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Geek Love by Kathrine Dunn (reread)
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (reread)
King Rat by James Clavell (reread)
The Man With the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren
Night by Elie Wiesel (reread)
The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York by Robert A. Caro
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard (reread)

I don't have many 1 star reads because I usually don't finish books that I'm disliking that much. The least favorite was probably a silly and jejune science fiction novel. It was like a movie in print.

River of Teeth by Sarah Galley