Fantasy and Manga Lovers Unite discussion

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
This topic is about The Last Wish
Series Read 2018 > The Last Wish Discussion - Spoilers Allowed

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeana Budnick | 328 comments Mod
Post here to discuss the Last Wish. Spoilers are allowed here so if you haven't read very far yet, you may want to avoid this thread until you've finished the book.

Dakota Kemp | 33 comments Hey, everyone. Don't know if you're aware or not, but Netflix is producing The Witcher as a television show! I posted about it on my site, if you're interested.

https://dakotakemp.com/2018/02/10/the...

I don't think there are any spoilers in my post, but I put it in this 'spoiler' category just in case something slipped by me.

oh, i had not heard of this. I'm curious. Though the Death Note movie Netflix made was not so good. I hope they do better with the Witcher.

Dakota Kemp | 33 comments Ugh, I know. I will be beyond pissed if they screw up The Witcher. It's got so much potential as a TV show! I mean, in a lot of ways the books are written in episodic, television-like chunks. As long as they put in effort and actually give a damn about the source material, they really can't get a bad end product.

*fingers crossed* I hope they do the books justice but I've found that tv show and move adaptations never do the books justice.

Dakota Kemp | 33 comments I can think of a few (such as The Lord of the Rings), but you're right, unfortunately. Often, adaptations don't do the books justice at all.

LOTR was the only adaptation that i think was better than the books. I know the books are considered amazing by many, and I respect them for the being the being of a genre, but I found them boring. There was a lot of unnecessary stuff in them and thankfully the movies took a lot of that out and made the whole thing much more exciting.

Dakota Kemp | 33 comments Jeana! LOTR? Boring? I don't know if we can be friends anymore! ;)

I'll ignore your blasphemy for now lol, because you're not wrong - there ARE many unnecessary sections (Tom Bombadil, anyone?) I agree that removing the aimless stuff was both necessary and wise for the films, and the pacing was right on track as a result.

Sorry Dakota. I know i'm in the minority in my opinion of LOTR, but i did soldier through them and read them all the way through. They didn't hold my attention enough. Perhaps I was too young at the time, having been in my late teens, when i read them but I also can't bring myself to attempt a reread.

Dakota Kemp | 33 comments I'm just giving you a hard time! They're written in an archaic style, much in the same way as old mythologies or Nordic sagas. It's very different than what we modern readers are used to, and it's not everyone's cup of tea. That's one reason why I'm eternally grateful the movies were so well done. They brought LOTR to a much larger audience than it would have ever reached on its own and did so in the same spirit as the books (something that very rarely happens, as you pointed out).