Rune Readers discussion

Book of the Month > The Gospel of Loki: January BOTM

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
This is the official discussion board for The Gospel of Loki. Don't forget to put "Spoilers for Chapter ___" before posting your thread! We don't want any sad pandas! :) Also, don't forget to be respectful of everyone's opinions! :D

message 2: by Jashana (new)

Jashana (jacheree) | 1 comments *spoiler free*
So I have never read anything of Norse mythology nor do I know much about it aside from the Thor movies - lol. Lame, I know.

But mythology of any kind is always interesting to me so I figured this group would be a perfect chance to learn more about Norse mythology and...

I’m only like 16 pages in but I am LOVING Loki’s narrative voice! So fun!!!

message 3: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
*Spolier Free*
I've just read Loki's description of the character (found before the forward), and oh my goodness! This is why I LOVE Loki!! 😂

message 4: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
*CHAPTER 4 SPOLIER*

I just wanted to share one of many quotes that I've ran across:

"No doubt about it, I told myself. These bastards really don't like me."

I relate with Loki's casualness on a spiritual level. 😂

Also, I love Loki's reaction to Odin screwing him over (when Odin marked him, and binded their magic together). Loki isn't mad, but he recognizes that he kicked himself in the butt with his naivety. I love that Loki isn't a character who's hot headed. He actually sits and thinks about where he went wrong, and that's kinda refreshing! :)

message 5: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
Sorry for the spammy comments. I just have so much to say about this book!

*SPOILER FOR CHAPTER 4*

I really like how the book is written. I like how Loki is taking the reader along with him as he learns life lessons. The life lessons so far are relatable to our own world, which is not something that I was expecting from this book.

It's also crazy how innocent Loki was at the beginning (not a perfect angel, but is anyone?) I have a feeling the book is going to show how other people can change someone's view on life and harden them into something they weren't before.

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (onthefritz) (_onthefritz) | 10 comments Danni wrote: "*Spolier Free*
I've just read Loki's description of the character (found before the forward), and oh my goodness! This is why I LOVE Loki!! 😂"

YESSS, so funny!

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (onthefritz) (_onthefritz) | 10 comments *SPOILER FREE*

This book is so fun! I have both the physical book to see the names of everything, and then listening through on the audio - so hilarious. The personality shines on the pages, but is just enhanced on the audio!

I am coming in with zero knowledge of Norse Mythology, besides the Thor movies, which from what I've read so far is not even kinda the same. This is a great starter since, well, it does start from the beginning of things until Ragnarok.

I thought I'd be overwhelmed with the names of everyone and everything, and maybe am at times, but it is coming along nicely!

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (onthefritz) (_onthefritz) | 10 comments *SPOILERS FOR BOOK 1, LESSON 6*

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (onthefritz) (_onthefritz) | 10 comments *SPOILERS FOR BOOK 2. LESSON 9*

(view spoiler)

Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) (jackey_oh) This book is so good!! I was at first unsure because this was written by the woman who wrote Chocolat, which was very surprising, but I am impressed.

I am still very early on only 52 pages in but already I feel so protective of Loki! My mom and sister are both followers of the Asatru religion so I know some things about the lore but not in any great detail.

I adore Loki’s point of view regarding ‘what really happened’, he is an interesting and fun narrator!

message 11: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
Kayla wrote: "*SPOILER FREE*

This book is so fun! I have both the physical book to see the names of everything, and then listening through on the audio - so hilarious. The personality shines on the pages, but i..."

I agree! I think the author did a good job of making each god and goddess memorable, so you don't forget who's who when Loki mentions them.

message 12: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
Kayla wrote: "*SPOILERS FOR BOOK 1, LESSON 6*

I seriously laughed out loud, this is so funny...
"The day a cowboy builder takes Loki for a ride is the day that pigs fly over the Rainbow Bridge and Lord Surt co..."

I almost just spit out my tea reading this! XD

message 13: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) wrote: "This book is so good!! I was at first unsure because this was written by the woman who wrote Chocolat, which was very surprising, but I am impressed.

I am still very early on only 52 pages in but..."

I've never heard of the Asatru religion. What is it if you don't mind me asking? :)

I agree Loki as an epic narrator! I think the author did an amazing job with giving him his own voice that stays true to character. :)

message 14: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
I just had to share some of my favorite quotes I've come across. I don't know if they are spoilery so proceed at your own risk.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

"Why Balder do you ask? Some things are just instinctive. It wasn't that he disliked me -that, after all, was hardly unprecedented. It wasn't that women adored him, or that men all wanted to be him. It wasn't even that Balder was handsome, brave, good, and true, or that if he as much as farted, birds sang, flowers bloomed, and small furry animals gamboled and frolicked around him in joyous abandon. To tell the truth I don't really know why I hated Balder. Perhaps because people liked him so much; perhaps because he'd never had to struggle for acceptance. Face it, the guys was born with a whole set of golden cutlery in his mouth, and if he was good it was because he'd never had to be otherwise. And to make matters worse, it was he who first poured me a cup of wine, put a garland on my head, and told me I was welcome." -Joanne Harris

My inner angsty teenage self identified with that quote. Probably because I've felt the exact same way all throughout my life.

"No doubt about it, I told myself. These bastards really don't like me." -Joanne Harris

Again I've been here before haha XD I think I relate to how honest Loki is with himself. If things suck he doesn't try to sugar coat it. He just deals with it, and doesn't really let the other gods and goddesses get him down.

"Of course the ladies gave me the eye. A bad boy is always appealing, and I'd always had a silver tongue." -Joanne Harris

I just enjoyed sassy Loki too much :D

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Springer | 2 comments This book sounds great. I'm glad I learned of it here, and I just requested a copy from the library. It will soon be my current read.

thanks the referral.

message 16: by Debora (new)

Debora Magna | 1 comments Waiting for it to comes out in Italy!!!!

message 17: by Danni (new)

Danni | 32 comments Mod
It's a great book! I'm waiting for the second one to come out in paperback!