Art Lovers discussion

Monthly Challenge > Happy New 2018 Reading!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8352 comments So, I'm not sure if anyone or some people would like to have another self-challenge, or maybe we can just challenge ourselves to ourselves!

The last post by Deborah yesterday December 31 was on a book Mona Lisa. I thought it was interesting that one of my gifts this year is from my art-loving aunt in California who sent me Mona Lisa: A Life Discovered

So I challenged myself this year to read more about art. I think I'll start with this one!

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8352 comments Okay, so this is now the second month of the new year 2018. I believe we have 'silently' decided not to have another group book challenge but I hope that some of us members will maybe think of a goal for book reading this year. And I understand that some of you don't really want to set a goal, just see how the year goes and that's fine, too!

Would anyone like to share what they are reading right now? Maybe even name some books that you have begun and finished in the last month? And you are welcome to post a link to your review, also.

This is just a way to share and could be interesting and even give some of us other suggestions on a book you have or are reading!

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8352 comments At this moment, I am laid up on my couch with my foot elevated as I nurse a fracture. I have to admit I am getting bored by this time--the third week but I do have plenty of time to read!

As always, I am in to more than one book. Just to name the ones I have begun:
A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback

Putting on the Armor of God: How to Win Your Battles with Satan
and
Drawing on the Powers of Heaven

I am almost done with two out of these three and hope to then begin:

The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
and
Mona Lisa: The History of the World’s Most Famous Painting

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1897 comments I just finished Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI competent, if not inspired writing, but a look into a bit of 20th century history that I was completely unaware of. Another example of the dreadful treatment of native Americans.

Just started 4321 by Paul Auster. Beautiful writing.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 136 comments One more for my art shelf Art Theft and the Case of the Stolen Turners by Sandy Nairne by Sandy Nairne

This was an interesting factual book, but probably a bit dry for some people. It is erudite and scholarly and if you are interested in the modern issue of art theft you will probably enjoy it. I did 4*

review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments I am Reading APPLE TREE YARD by Louise Doughty. It´s a woman´s book with female sensibilities narrated in the first person by a British genecist who is on the dock for a felony. Approaching the 100 page mark and the question is for what had she been arrested. An extremely erotic book relating her feelings about the man with whom she had an extramarital affair. Can´t put it down.

message 7: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments And then I am picking away at my collage book as I have a class on Saturday, getting prepared to teach-

I bought 10 photography monographs back in December and am slowly going through them. Some of my favorite photographic artists are Duane Michaels, Ralph Gibson, Rosamond Purcell, and I cast a glance at theirs from time to time.

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8352 comments Thank you, Deborah and Geoffrey, for keeping us updated on your reading and the bits of information you shared about the experience! I like this thread when people touch on the subject of the book they are reading and it's just enough to pique my interest to look further into your chosen book.

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Apr 05, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Heather | 8352 comments Since I last posted here, I have finished two of my listed books: The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success

I didn't write a full disclosure of the book in my review, so I will just post what I did mention about it after my reading.

Our main character, David Ponder, is really struggling in his life, his family, his finances, his daughter's illness, his job (or lack of), and he had reached, what he felt, was the end of his rope. After being involved in an automobile accident, he is whisked away to different moments in time where he meets seven influential people from the past. I will only list a few, and only peek if you so desire. (view spoiler)

There are seven points that David Ponder is supposed to learn through his travels in time from these various wise people. I won't list the seven points so as not to spoil it for you, but suffice it to say I learned a lot from those views and the mentality of each influential person. This book made me want to ingrain each of those points into my mind and incorporated them into my life. By using these thoughts and ways of thinking, one can really better influence his or her future! One can really make life worth living to the fullest.

Never give up! This is most a most important constant throughout the book. The past is the past, all we have is our future and it is what we make of it.

I was so excited and motivated when I put the book down. I recommend it to anyone seeking some pointers on how to better navigate life in order to influence its outcome for the best. This is motivating and inspiring in addition to a quick, fun and interesting read.

It took me a bit longer to read this than is necessary, it is a small book that would take only a few hours of your time if you desire to learn more wisdom from the past.

5 stars

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Apr 05, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Heather | 8352 comments The other book I actually finished is Putting on the Armor of God: How to Win Your Battles with Satan.

I haven't written a review about this yet due to it being a bit longer, and it's not really a page-turner because it isn't a story nor fiction.

I can't live without my highlighters, though, while reading books from which I like to learn and remember. So when I get a chance, I will highlight some main points from the book that really stuck out to me.

Though, like I said, it isn't a page-turner, nor a story to follow along, I learned a whole lot! This book definitely isn't for everyone, especially those who aren't Christian or who don't believe in God. But this book is good for me because of my beliefs, ways of thinking and my mentality as to the kind of person I would like to be, good characteristics I'd like to acquire, and basically how to follow the example of Christ. This book teaches the reader how to better be aware of the influences and temptations of the devil in order to overcome one's own sins and poor judgments.

For myself, I gave it 5 stars, but to many other people who don't share my common mentality, it could be a dry read, if one would even want to pick it up. 2-3 stars.