Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > What were your top 5 reads of 2017?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2763 comments Mod
The last book that I read in 2017 is probably my favorite The Hummingbird by Stephen P. Kiernan The Hummingbird. I also really liked Hunger A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body and A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman A Man Called Ove, Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows and to make an odd five, I'll choose (drum roll) My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier My Cousin Rachel which I read before I knew it was coming out as a movie.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Duncan | 43 comments Mix of fiction and non-fiction; In no particular order:

1. Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

2. Moonglow by Michael Chabon

3. Terror in the City of Champions by Tom Stanton

4. Get Well Soon: History’s Worst Plagues.... by Jennifer Wright

5. Hero of the Empire by Candice Millard

message 3: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Because of life changes I had a dismal reading record for 2017. NO BOOKS READ !!!! I could listen to books in work so I got a lot of reading time but on this job that’s not possible. I am not a natural reader. I have to hunker down and read a book.NO TV! I also have a hard time just sitting an listening. So I have to find ways.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments In no particular order:
Talking as Fast as I Can From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between by Lauren Graham Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between
The Sellout by Paul Beatty The Sellout
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley Lily and the Octopus
The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley

It was a really good reading year, so it was hard to narrow it down to just five! Even now I'm fighting the impulse to slip another couple in... ;)

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 553 comments Mod
Gerald wrote: "Because of life changes I had a dismal reading record for 2017. NO BOOKS READ !!!! I could listen to books in work so I got a lot of reading time but on this job that’s not possible. I am not a nat..."

I hear you loud and clear Gerald. Perhaps some of us here can help you find ways to enjoy reading again. If you are not able to listen to books anymore at work is it possible to listen to some while doing chores or going for a walk? I always listen when cleaning house or getting in a daily walk. I also listen while driving but this is not always easy for everyone. Reading should be a pleasure not a chore but perhaps it can also become habit while still being enjoyable. If you enjoy TV, don't give that up totally but maybe you could forgo a 1/2 hr to an hour a day to start. Either listen or read until you're bored or fall asleep :).

Let us know how you are doing.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 90 comments 2017 was a good reading year, but I had trouble choosing among the contenders with the same star ratings.

In no particular order:

Absolutely on Music: Conversations with Seiji Ozawa by Haruki Murakami

102 Minutes: The Unforgettable Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers by Jim Dwyer

Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton

To Be Where You Are by Jan Karon

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

message 7: by Gina (new)

Gina (crazycatlady328) | 65 comments I had an up and down year, but reading really got me through some of the worst parts. It was nice to have something to shut off my brain. Reading was up and down too, some of the overhyped "blockbusters" really fell flat for me, but I made up for it with my wonderful collection of historical fiction audiobooks. Primarily listened more than read this year because of so much time spent running around in the car.

In no particular order, but with a generally similar theme:

The Alice Network
The Nightingale (yes, FINALLY)
A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
Between Shades of Gray
The Women in the Castle