The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) The Name of the Wind discussion

The Doors of Stone

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cáis (new)

Cáis Caramal Do you think there is a point to now reading the first two books since there is no telling if/ when the final book will come out?

Daniel Clouser I guess. I've read both of the first two volumes twice, and they are good books, but I've given up on the series ever actually being finished. Maybe it will be, and that will be cool, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The thing is, each book does tell a complete story. Sure, there's a lot left up in the air and mysterious, but you still feel like a chapter is complete at the end of each book. A lot of fantasy series are just one long story, and it would be more devastating, in my mind, for such a series to be left in perpetual limbo, with each volume ending with very little resolution (or even with a ton of actual cliffhangers for the various players in the story). Kingkiller at least delivers a complete book in each volume, and it leaves one feeling like we're waiting for a sequel, not like we're waiting to hear the end of a story that the author just stopped telling out of nowhere.

So, sure, read the books if you want to. I guess it's worth it.

message 3: by Karen (last edited Jan 09, 2018 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Good Question. I loved both of the first books, especially "Name of the Wind." If you are a big fantasy-fiction fan, then it is worth the read. I think they are the best pieces of that genre to come out in a while. The writing is beautiful and the characters are interesting; especially the side characters such as Devi, Auri, Bast, and Master Elodin. For those reasons alone, I think the books are worth reading. Really, where are you going to find better fantasy fiction?

With that being said, I should tell you I am in agreement with Daniel that it is hard to say when or if, there will be a third book. If there is cool...if not, I do not feel like I wasted my time. But keep in mind, at the end of "A Wise Man's Fear" there are a lot of unanswered questions. Maybe that sort of thing bothers you more than it does me, but I am not a person who is easily frustrated.

ALDIJANA ZUKIC You should absolutely read them ! As Karen pointed out, they are very interesting and do wrap up some part of the story per book. I was just planing on reading them again, in hope that the third one would come out soon. Then I decided to look at the dates, the first book came out in 2007, the second in 2011, and we are still waiting for the third...SEVEN long years later. Its frustrating, but it is what it is. As my eight year old says " You get what you get, and you don't get upset!" LOL
Even though I am really annoyed that it is taking this long, I am also really glad that I got to know these characters and this world Rothfuss made up. It's truly fantastic !

message 5: by Craig (new)

Craig Stokes Yes, it is worth it. The books are beautiful and worthy of one's time. Just keeping my fingers crossed that #3 is released soon.

message 6: by Cáis (new)

Cáis Caramal Maybe someone should make a petition on Change.org asking him o finish the book. I doubt it would do anything, but it would be interesting to see what would happen.

Patrick Lanier I will agree with most people here and say that the first two really are worth reading, especially if you are a fan of fantasy in general or are fascinated with things like world-building and the creation of magic systems. Rothfuss does quite well here, and that is how I got started with these books, but the characters kept me coming back. Auri in particular is a character I love reading about, and she has a stand-alone story called "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" that I always recommend to people who have read the first two books in the series.

message 8: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali I have just done so, and greatly enjoyed reading both again. I don’t think he will release a third book in all honesty, from what he’s said I think he’s suffering too much from the pressure. He’s clearly very much a perfectionist and the reading community already is analysing the next book in minute detail before it’s even been written! Way to rack up the pressure on him, perhaps it just became too much to bear. He wrote for pleasure and did very well out of it, now that aspect is gone.

Having said that, I echo the other comments. The books are a pleasure to read as they are. Some of the very, very best that have ever been written, by my opinion and from the pure enjoyment I got from them. I mourne the fact that he’s not getting the same enjoyment from writing the next book, but I’ll enjoy what we have and am greatful for that.

Renée You've worded that perfectly, Ali!

Jason Schmidt Of course they're worth it. Yes, most of the fans are annoyed by the delays with book three. I don't think it's fair to the author. To listen to most of the comments across various websites, everyone expects him to put his life on hold and do nothing else but write this book. Life happens, or maybe he's struggling with an aspect of the story, who knows?

But the first two books are excellent, and based on the content I'm guessing that this series will just be wrapping up why he is where he currently is. My hope is that he will do another series after this one that takes us further.

They're definitely worth the read. Out of all the books I've read, these are the only two I have ever re-read.

message 11: by Philomena (new) - added it

Philomena Its sad to think we may never get a third book but the first two are great! Definitely worth a read.

message 12: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea Kane Can someone tell me if this series is depressing? I'm still on the first book. I loved the first part but is it going to turn into nothing but his downfall?

Jason Schmidt Lea wrote: "Can someone tell me if this series is depressing? I'm still on the first book. I loved the first part but is it going to turn into nothing but his downfall?"

There are a couple of sad parts, he's led a tough life. Overall, I'd say most of the story is pretty comical or entertaining, not sad.

message 14: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea Kane Jason wrote: "Lea wrote: "Can someone tell me if this series is depressing? I'm still on the first book. I loved the first part but is it going to turn into nothing but his downfall?"

There are a couple of sad ..."

Thanks. I saw where this is supposed to be a trilogy but not much detail on the last book and I can see the years between the first two, 07-11. That's quite a while and it has been seven years since then. I guess I just want him to be okay. Love his character and don't like that he is drowning in silence.