Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

2018 Historical Mystery Clue > Vittoria's Historical Mystery Clue

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Category: General Clue Trivia
Task: Read a book with a corpse on the cover.
Book: When Maidens Mourn When Maidens Mourn by C.S. Harris

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1687 comments Mod
Vittoria wrote: "Category: General Clue Trivia
Book: When Maidens Mourn When Maidens Mourn by C.S. Harris"

Great choice! I love this series.

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Lauren wrote:
Great choice! I love this series."

Thanks Lauren!! Sebastian St. Cyr's series is one of my personal favorites too!

message 4: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Mar 02, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #1

Category: General Clue Trivia
Book: When Maidens Mourn When Maidens Mourn by C.S. Harris
Date read: 1-3 January, 2018

Gosh, how I love this series! The author managed to write a delightful romance without letting it overshadow the mystery, which is as engrossing as ever... ★★★★★

Category: The Weapons
Task: Read a book whose author initials can be found in ROPE (all initials count).
Book: The Apothecary Rose The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer #1) by Candace Robb

message 5: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Mar 02, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #2

Task: Read a book whose author initials can be found in ROPE (all initials count).
Book: The Apothecary Rose The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer #1) by Candace Robb
Date read: 3-5 January, 2018

It took me a bit to get into this book honestly - especially in the first chapters - but halfway in the pace picked up, and I went through the rest pretty quickly. An enjoyable read, but sadly it didn't rank in my favorites. I might give the second book in the series a chance, nonetheless... ★★★

Category: The Suspects
Task: Read a book with a yellow cover.
Book: Murder in Chelsea Murder in Chelsea (Gaslight Mystery, #15) by Victoria Thompson

message 6: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Mar 02, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #3

Task: Read a book with a yellow cover.
Book: Murder in Chelsea

Fantastic series: this was a re-read, and I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time... ★★★★★

Task: Read a book with a black cover
Book: Mistress of the Art of Death Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1) by Ariana Franklin

message 7: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Feb 27, 2018 05:25AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Due to my hectic work schedule, I had to take a little break from my beloved books - much to my chagrin...

So here I am, changing the book for my 4th move.

Book: What Remains of Heaven What Remains of Heaven by C.S. Harris

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1171 comments I have that one out of the library but won't be starting it for a bit; I've been overdosing on St Cyr.

message 9: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Mar 02, 2018 09:46AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #4

Book: What Remains of Heaven What Remains of Heaven by C.S. Harris
Date read: 26-28 February, 2018

By now everybody around here knows how much I love this series, that has quickly become one of my favorites. This particular installment doesn’t let down either: I always tear up a little when Sebastian finds out (view spoiler)... Anyway, amazing re-read. ★★★★★

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a former or current military man.
Book: Where Shadows Dance Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6) by C.S. Harris

Yep, another St. Cyr mystery... sue me! ^^

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Glad you are enjoying Sebastian's books. They are must reads for me. I'm eagerly awaiting the new book.

message 11: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Mar 02, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #5

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a former or current military man.
Book: Where Shadows Dance Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6) by C.S. Harris
Date read: 28 February - 2 March, 2018

There's always a solid mystery for Sebastian to solve, but it's particularly the ongoing background mysteries and the intricate relationships between the characters that keep this series so incredibly engrossing. I'm so satisfied with the author's decision to give more space to one of my favorite characters - (view spoiler) - while the one character I couldn't stand-(view spoiler) - begins to fade and retreat to the background. ★★★★★

Task: Read a book set in the United Kingdom.
Book: The Anatomist's Wife The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1) by Anna Lee Huber

message 12: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #6

Task: Read a book set in the United Kingdom.
Book: The Anatomist's Wife The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1) by Anna Lee Huber
Date read: 2-3 March, 2018

Thanks to a timely flu that forced me to stay home from work, I managed to literally devour this book in less than 48 hours. I think I've found another addition to my favorite series!! ★★★★★

Task: Read a book with a white cover.
Book: Death at Wentwater Court Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1) by Carola Dunn

message 13: by Lauren (new)

You are on a roll, Vittoria!
Glad you enjoyed the Anatomist's Wife. I'm really enjoying the series and can't wait for the next book.

message 14: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Lauren wrote: "You are on a roll, Vittoria!"

I am, Lauren - thankfully, given that I've just overcome an awful case of Reading Slump(™), aka every reader's worst nightmare.

Lauren wrote: "Glad you enjoyed the Anatomist's Wife. I'm really enjoying the series and can't wait for the next book."

Me too! I plan on reading the whole series this year, also thanks to this challenge!

Task: Read a book with a white cover.
Book: Death at Wentwater Court Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1) by Carola Dunn
Date read: 4-6 March, 2018

This is the first historical mystery I've read that's set in the '20s, since I usually stick to my beloved 1800s. Yet I can say I enjoyed it very much - even though at first the slang confused me (spiffing, jolly well, etc - English not being my first language, these terms, which I honestly didn't know before, had me resort to my dictionary...) ★★★

Task: Read a book whose cover shows anything that might be purchased in a hardware store (pruning shears).
Book: The Winter Garden Mystery The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2) by Carola Dunn

message 15: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #8

Task: Read a book whose cover shows anything that might be purchased in a hardware store.
Book: The Winter Garden Mystery The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2) by Carola Dunn
Date read: 6-8 March, 2018

A little more obvious than the first installment - since I guessed early on the identity of the real murderer - but still a truly enjoyable read. I’m a fan of the blooming attraction between our Honorable miss Dalrymple and the Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher... ★★★

Task: Read a book with 2,3 or 4 in the total number of pages.
Book: Mortal Arts Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2) by Anna Lee Huber

message 16: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #9

Task: Read a book with 2,3 or 4 in the total number of pages.
Book: Mortal Arts Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery #2) by Anna Lee Huber
Date read: 8-10 March, 2018

Another fantastic read, with a mystery that had me bite my nails and a blossoming romance that thawed my little frosty heart. ★★★★★

Task: Read a book that has any type of bird on the cover (crows circling the turret).
Book: What Darkness Brings What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8) by C.S. Harris

message 17: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #10

Task: Read a book that has any type of bird on the cover.
Book: What Darkness Brings What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8) by C.S. Harris
Date read: 10-11 March, 2018

Series as awesome as ever, and the amazing Hero, Lady Devlin ❤ keeps on being a bada$$! ★★★★★

Task: Read a book that is first in a series.
Book: A Curious Beginning A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn

message 18: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #11

Task: Read a book that is first in a series.
Book: A Curious Beginning A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn
Date read: 11-13 March, 2018

A thoroughly enjoyable read, even though the part where (view spoiler) felt a bit too dragged, too long... ★★★★

Task: Read a book with any beverage or any type of bottle on the cover.
Book: Requiem for a Mezzo Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) by Carola Dunn

message 19: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #12

Task: Read a book with any beverage or any type of bottle on the cover.
Book: Requiem for a Mezzo Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) by Carola Dunn
Date read: 13-14 March, 2018

And Daisy stumbles upon another dead body! Shocker! Good story and plot; love the characters. ★★★

Category: The Rooms
Task: Read a book showing any kind of round object on the cover (clock on right side).
Book: Murder on the Flying Scotsman Murder on the Flying Scotsman A Daisy Dalrymple Mystery by Carola Dunn

message 20: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #13

Task: Read a book showing any kind of round object on the cover (clock on right side).
Book: Murder on the Flying Scotsman Murder on the Flying Scotsman A Daisy Dalrymple Mystery by Carola Dunn
Date read: 14-15 March, 2018

Loved this book, and loved all the characters - including Alec's 9 y.o. daughter (which is weird, since I was worried introducing a character so young in such a central role for the plot would prove counterproductive). Carola Dunn proved me wrong, and is now a new favourite of mine. ★★★★

Task: Read a book with a place of worship on the cover/storyline.
Book: A Grave Matter A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3) by Anna Lee Huber

message 21: by Lauren (new)

I'm eager to start the Daisy Dalrymple series. Good to hear that it's fun.

message 22: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #14

Task: Read a book with a place of worship on the cover/storyline.
Book: A Grave Matter A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3) by Anna Lee Huber
Date read: 15-16 March, 2018

Slightly less dark installment than the previous two, but still hard to put down, with good characters and plot. Keira's whole family is revealed to be awesome!! ★★★★★

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a teacher/professor.
Book: Murder in the North End Murder in the North End (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #5) by P.B. Ryan

message 23: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #15

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a teacher/professor.
Book: Murder in the North End Murder in the North End (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #5) by P.B. Ryan
Date read: 16-17 March, 2018

I had forgotten how much I liked these books!! A page-turning murder mystery and a star-crossed romance create an extremely enjoyable read! ★★★★★

Task: Read a book with any of the following items on the cover: castle, body of armor, banner, tapestry, candelabra, chandelier or throne (chandelier)
Book: Masked Ball at Broxley Manor Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5) by Rhys Bowen

message 24: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Apr 26, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Sooo... I kinda forgot to keep track of my readings these past couple of days, so it's gonna be a single post for moves 16 & 17.

Task: Read a book with any of the following items on the cover: castle, body of armor, banner, tapestry, candelabra, chandelier or throne (chandelier)
Book: Masked Ball at Broxley Manor Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5) by Rhys Bowen
Date read: 17 March, 2018

Nothing special, a short little novella born just to explain a few details that emerge in Her Royal Spyness (which I'd already read). ★★★

Task: Read a book with any item typically found in a kitchen on the cover (tall glasses).
Book: A Bucket of Ashes A Bucket of Ashes (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #6) by P.B. Ryan
Date read: 18-19 March, 2018

An apt conclusion to the Nell Sweeney mystery series. ★★★★★

Task: Read a book in which someone is poisoned.
Book: A Study in Death A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4) by Anna Lee Huber
Date read: 19-22 March, 2018

Yet another amazing installment, and I'm officially in love with this series! ★★★★★

message 25: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #19

Task: Read a book with rope on the cover.
Book: Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5) by Carola Dunn

message 26: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #19

Task: Read a book with rope on the cover.
Book: Damsel in Distress Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5) by Carola Dunn
Date read: 26 April - 30 May, 2018

Yep, you read that right. It took me a MONTH to finish this... I know, I know... I suck - bad! Honestly, work has been a b!tch lately, and I haven't had much time to really focus on my reading (ergo, I read other genres, less demanding ones...)
Then again, the fact that this installment was largely told in Daisy's friend Petrie's POV didn't actually help. ★★★

Task: Read a book with a red cover
Book: An Untimely Frost An Untimely Frost by Penny Richards

message 27: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #20

Task: Read a book with a red cover
Book: An Untimely Frost An Untimely Frost (Lilly Long #1) by Penny Richards
Date read: 5 - 8 June, 2018

This one was a surprisingly pleasant read!! Although I'd correctly figured out part of it, there was enough intrigue to keep me going and the conclusion was even better than I'd imagined. Loved the 1880s Chicago setting, and the introduction of the Pinkertons (I'd never read a novel with Pinkertons before, oddly enough...)
Can't wait to get my hands on the second installment! ★★★★

Category: To Be Determined
Task:
Book:

message 28: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Due to my hectic work schedule (in the summer it's always worse), I had to take a little break from historical mysteries - much to my profound annoyance - and had to resort to "simpler" genres... But now I'm back ^^

Task: Read a book with plants, flowers, or trees on the cover (flowers in the corner).
Book: The Cater Street Hangman The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry
Date read: 13-15 September, 2018

A pleasant enough read, even though I must say not one of my favorites... I don't know if I'm gonna keep on reading this series... ★★ and a half

Task: Read a book showing any type of large, glass structure on the front (glass dome).
Book: When Gods Die When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2) by C.S. Harris

message 29: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Sep 18, 2018 04:16AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #22

Task: Read a book showing any type of large, glass structure on the front (glass dome).
Book: When Gods Die When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2) by C.S. Harris
Date read: 15-17 September, 2018

By now, everybody in this group has "heard" me harping on and on about how much I love this series and how much I profoundly dislike one of the female characters (view spoiler), so I will just say "Another awesome read" and spare you all ... ★★★★★

message 30: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments # 23

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a clerical figure.
Book: A Plague on Both Your Houses A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1) by Susanna Gregory
How it fits: the protagonist has taken minor holy orders.

message 31: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (last edited Nov 30, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments # 23

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a clerical figure.
Book: A Plague on Both Your Houses A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1) by Susanna Gregory
Date read: 17-18 September, 2018

I honestly didn't think I would've liked this book so much, but the story is actually pretty investing, and the main character has really grown on me - I ended up staying up all night to read (thank God I didn't have to work today!). I will definitely read more of these books. ★★★★

message 32: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments Ok, so... Like an idiot I completely forgot to record a few of my reads for this challenge, hope it's not a problem ^^

# 24

Task: Read a book with a cover showing any kind of leisure activity.
Book: Dead in the Water Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple #6) by Carola Dunn
★★★★

# 25

Task: Read a book with any type of long, cylindrical object on the cover (metal bars).
Book: Styx and Stones Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7) by Carola Dunn
★★★★

# 26

Task: Read a book with any type of dancer on the cover.
Book: Rattle His Bones Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8) by Carola Dunn
★★★★

message 33: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments And yet again, this task also can be completed with a Daisy Dalrymple book ^^ Yey! *happy whistling*

# 27

Task: Read a book with a blue cover.
Book: To Davy Jones Below To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9) by Carola Dunn

message 34: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments # 27

Task: Read a book with a blue cover.
Book: To Davy Jones Below To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9) by Carola Dunn
Date Read: 1-2 December, 2018
Rating: ★★★

# 28

Task: Read a book with a gun on the cover.
Book:The Murder at the Vicarage The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) by Agatha Christie

message 35: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments # 28

Task: Read a book with a gun on the cover.
Book:The Murder at the Vicarage The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) by Agatha Christie
Date Read: 2-4 December, 2018
Rating: ★★★★

Task: Read a book with a gathering of people on the cover.
Book: Royal Blood Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen
How it fits: Group of people on the right.

message 36: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #29

Task: Read a book with a gathering of people on the cover.
Book: Royal Blood Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen
Date Read: 4-5 December, 2018
Rating: ★★★
My thoughts: A very quick read, maybe a little predictable but quite entertaining - though sometimes Georgie can be way too naive...

Task: Read a book with any type of knife on the cover (dagger).
Book: Mistletoe and Murder Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11) by Carola Dunn

message 37: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #30

Task: Read a book with any type of knife on the cover (dagger).
Book: Mistletoe and Murder Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11) by Carola Dunn
Date Read: 5-11 December, 2018

# 31

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a healer of any kind (nurse, doctor, midwife, herbalist, "wise woman", etc.).
Book: Murder on Lexington Avenue Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12) by Victoria Thompson

message 38: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments # 31

Task: Read a book with a protagonist who is a healer of any kind (nurse, doctor, midwife, herbalist, "wise woman", etc.).
Book: Murder on Lexington Avenue Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12) by Victoria Thompson
Date Read: 11-13 December, 2018

# 32

Task: Read a book with a glamorous looking female on the cover.
Book: A Duty to the Dead A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford, #1) by Charles Todd

message 39: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments # 32

Task: Read a book with a glamorous looking female on the cover.
Book: A Duty to the Dead A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford, #1) by Charles Todd
Date Read: 13-16 December, 2018

Task: Read a book with a study/office on the cover (dentist's office).
Book: Die Laughing Die Laughing (Daisy Dalrymple #12) by Carola Dunn

message 40: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments #33

Task: Read a book with a study/office on the cover (dentist's office).
Book: Die Laughing Die Laughing (Daisy Dalrymple #12) by Carola Dunn
Date Read: 16-18 December, 2018

# 34

Task: Read a book with any word in the title or author name that rhymes with hall (fall).
Book: Fall of a Philanderer Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14) by Carola Dunn

message 41: by ✨ Vittoria ✨ (new)

✨ Vittoria ✨ | 102 comments # 34

Task: Read a book with any word in the title or author name that rhymes with hall (fall).
Book: Fall of a Philanderer Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14) by Carola Dunn
Date read: 21-28 December, 2018
Rating: ★★★★.