Addicted to YA discussion

Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1)
This topic is about Rebel of the Sands
Series > Rebel of the Sands

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - added it

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5184 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?

Jasmine | 5194 comments I listened to this one on audiobook and really enjoyed it. First off, I love that it is a YA book set in basically the Middle East and based off of Middle Eastern myths. I haven't encountered many YA books like that. I also really enjoyed the characters. Amani is a great heroine and Jin is just fun. I like the slow burn romance and the way the author built her world without just information spewing. I really loved this book and the second one. I'm excited for the next one in the series.

Louise | 28 comments I've just finished this and I'm a bit more conflicted about it. There is a lot that people will enjoy. I agree that Amani and Jin are fun, but I found much of it a little two dimensional. The General (Dumas? I forget) and Naguib are too obvious as villains and the rebels too perfect - pretty, noble with only an occasional hint of cattiness which is allowed among beautiful girls.
The book felt short.
But my biggest problem was with the use of magic. [SPOILER ALERT] All these demdji and Amani know that iron will stop magic. We learn this early on in the book. Yet when she tries to use magic it doesn't occur to anyone that she can't do it holding a pistol?
And somehow Izz can rip away sides of a train carriage - presumably made of iron - without his powers crumbling.
I quite enjoyed the adventure of this book nonetheless but I doubt I'll read on. It doesn't promise anything like enough complexity in people or the politics to keep me interested.

message 4: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 291 comments Can't wait to read it. It's been on my TBR for a long time. Why has it taken me this long to read it :)

Maartje De Groot | 95 comments It’s way to long ago for me. I liked it though, because I bought the second one.

Iris (irislovesreading) I really enjoyed this book! :))

Lilly  Amechi (lillyamechi) I read this book last summer and I enjoyed it so much! Amani was definitely my favorite character. She broke gender and society biases and I was all for it. Amani is a great heroine, and I can't wait to read the next book.

Janna (mzhyde) | 469 comments This book was okay, but I didn't love it.
I couldn't connect with the characters, so unfortunately it couldn't grasp my interest.

Malena (tbonemalena) | 18 comments I really liked it! At first, I was mad that Amani kept abandoning all her friends and all but I now see that she's not the typical heroine and I like that! I'll definitely read the rest of the series!

Megan | 2 comments I liked it. Amani was a fiercely independent protagonist and I liked how driven she was, even if that came across as stubborn. She showed how much she could do without powers and I really appreciated that in the beginning. When we learn about demdji powers and that she is one of them, it's interesting to see how she adapts her style. I think her relationship with Jin has a great pace and I never felt like it was too rushed. She abandons him to get on the train and he follows her. The world is really interesting as well and I really want to know more about the other countries and their magic. I read this one a while back, but I still enjoy reading it and I bought the second one, which takes a different spin, but is really fun as well.

message 11: by Taiwo (new) - added it

Taiwo | A Lifestyle Nerd  (alifestylenerd) I read this book last year and I really liked it. Some parts could seem quite off but I like that Amani was able to live away from the sexist place where she was raised. I also like that she believed in herself enough t recognise sexism.

It's a pretty good book.

Carrie | 10 comments I loved this book. I've read the second one too and look forward to the third.

message 13: by Louise (last edited Feb 04, 2018 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Louise | 28 comments Meh. Some nice characters. I liked Amani and Jin but there just isn't enough story or complexity for me. And the magic system of the book is a bit ropey. For instance - if they all know that iron negates magic and they want Aamni to use her power - why doesn't it occur to her or anyone else that she should put the pistol down before she tries? This would only be a revelation if you were mentally deficient.
But that said, there's lots to enjoy here.

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 149 comments Well, just finished, and I enjoyed it very much. I ordered rage second one in the series, will read it when I need some adventure in my life.

Carrie | 10 comments I also loved this book. I like the way the magic was handled and especially the djinn creatures. I want to finish the series!

Jasmine | 5194 comments Carrie wrote: "I also loved this book. I like the way the magic was handled and especially the djinn creatures. I want to finish the series!"

The newest one, and I'm pretty positive it's the last one, comes out this month.

Carrie | 10 comments It was on sale yesterday. I bought it. :)

I'm thinking of suggesting the second one for series read on the next round.

Tamara (chronicbookaholic) | 20 comments I was on the fence with the first book, but decided to keep going with the series. The second book made me fall in love with the series.

message 19: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Enquist | 11 comments It sounds like a good read. I’m going to have to check it out.