Clean Reads discussion

Clean Reads Book Club > Clean Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B (new)

B (deathandchocolate) | 37 comments Does anyone know of any (at least) moderately clean fantasy, historical fantasy or fiction and the like? not YA, just regular adult. Romance is okay, but not as the main plot. Thanks!

message 2: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) | 26 comments invisiblegift.blogspot.com , it is free right now on the blog, or it can be purchased from Amazon.com

message 3: by T (new)

T | 4 comments I really liked Christopher Paolini's Inheritance books. I read them a few years ago but remember them as quite clean.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Hardie | 17 comments Connie Willis writes clean adult historical fantasy. At least the ones I have read. I loved her books.

message 5: by C. (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:43AM) (new)

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10 comments For fantasy I recommend the Mistborn series.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 185 comments Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clark

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova (It's a vampire novel, but the gore level is pretty restrained--not any worse than the original Bram Stoker Dracula. There are a couple of scenes with partial nudity and/or fade to black, but they make up 2-5 pages out of a 600+ page book; I think closer to 2 than 5, perhaps even less than 2, but hard for me to estimate well because I read it on my ereader).

books by Stephen R. Lawhead

Till We Have Faces, The Screwtape Letters, and The Space Trilogy (book 1: Perelandra), by C.S. Lewis

A Voyage to Arcturus, by David Lindsay

Phantastes, by George MacDonald

His Majesty's Dragon, by Naomi Novik

Some of Shakespeare, when you think about it--for instance, Macbeth, The Tempest, and A Midsummer Night's Dream

Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Also some of his short stories.

The High House, by James Stoddard

Dracula, by Bram Stoker

Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis (this series is about time travel)

The Time Traders, by Andre Norton (time travel/sci-fi)

message 8: by Joel (last edited Jan 18, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

Joel (sundavrgarm) | 8 comments Anything Brandon Sanderson writes. His book Warbreaker is free on his website if you want to try him out.

Terry Brooks Original Shannara Trilogy, Heritage of Shannara series, and Genesis of Shannara are all well written and quite a bit of fun. The High Druid and Voyage of Jerle Shannara series are also clean but weren't my favorite. Just be warned: his tales aren't very happy and supporting characters will die.

L.B. Graham has some great fantasy allegories.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricb) | 40 comments Anything by Jeff Wheeler has been wonderful and completely clean.

I absolutely loved his The Wretched of Muirwood series.

The Fireblood series was also great.

I felt like the The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain) series started slow but built up to favorite status as it went.

Great books for sure!

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric | 10 comments I just want to second the Shannara series of books. Another great read.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sngrant) | 64 comments Megan Whalen Turners "The Thief" is a great series. Might be considered YA but it is a favorite for all ages.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricb) | 40 comments Sandy wrote: "Megan Whalen Turners "The Thief" is a great series. Might be considered YA but it is a favorite for all ages."

Oooh yes - I loved the whole series of The Thief!

message 13: by Sean (last edited Jan 22, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Sean Durity | 3 comments Seconding C.S. Lewis' Till we Have Faces. Based on the Greek myth of Pschye and Eros, it was my favorite read of last year. Powerfully done and different from his other works. Read it twice and led a book group on it.

message 14: by S.W. (new)

S.W. Wilcox (swwilcox) | 1 comments Good all-ages time-travel to Arthurian England with wits vs. weapons:

Camelot & Vine by Petrea Burchard A Poem for Britain (Bards of Fantasia #1) by S.W. Wilcox

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished a delightful series of books, the Mistmantle Chronicles by M.I. McAllister. They are children's books in the tradition of Narnia. Excellent to read aloud to children, but you will enjoy them too!

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments I just finished listening to the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy, by Robin Hobb, and enjoyed them. They're long and build slowly, but kept my interest with character development and a well-constructed plot. I would rate them PG--at times the violence can be pretty intense, and there are instances of rape and pillage that occur, but are not described.

message 17: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Foth-Regner | 2 comments The Song of Sadie Sparrow This novel's protagonists are three women whose lives intersect in a warm and engaging nursing home called The Hickories. These women represent different generations. They have experienced different sorrows and entertain different hopes. They even adhere to different worldviews, from devoutly Christian to unapologetically atheist. Yet over the course of a single year, they forge unlikely bonds that impact each other’s lives in the here and now—and perhaps for all eternity. "A beautifully written story of friendship set against the backdrop of life’s twilight years, The Song of Sadie Sparrow explores contrasting views of purpose and pardon, life and afterlife—and faith’s role in shaping those views, now and forevermore."

message 18: by C. (last edited Feb 12, 2018 07:48PM) (new)

C. | 297 comments I am enjoying the series by Karen Musser Nortman about a time travel camper/trailer. The Time Travel Trailer by Karen Musser Nortman

Feel free to browse my Fantasy shelves~https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 19: by Ruth (new)

Ruth E. R. (rutherborninct) | 1 comments Stephen R. Lawhead writes great clean fantasies. My absolute favorite is the Song of Albion trilogy. The Skin Map (first of a series) is great. I enjoyed Taliesin but he kind of lost me in the sequels. But they are definitely going to be clean.

message 20: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 71 comments Becoming Malka Time travel via a mystical tarot card to 1900 Ukraine.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather I loved this series:
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. (As best as I can recollect) was clean.

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments Anything by Jeff Wheeler!

message 25: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 3 comments Brandon Sanderson's books are excellent. I'm reading The Stormlight Archive series right now and really enjoying them!

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 99 comments Check out Lloyd Alexander, Patricia McKillip, definitely C.S. Lewis Till We Have Faces and Megan Whalen Turner as others said. Diana Wynne Jones' Dalemark quartet, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence. For historical fiction I like Edward Rutherford, though they are not entirely clean and some sections can be dry. I also like Sharon Kay Pennman, though again not 100% clean. I love Liz Curtis Higgs' Scottish historical fiction. Someone said The Historian and I second that - such a good one.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 99 comments Jones and Cooper may be considered YA - that line is pretty blurry for me. When something is really good I consider it plain old fiction! Also Higgs has romance for sure. Sorry - just re-read the initial request.

message 28: by EJ (new)

EJ Johnson | 29 comments Brandon Sanderson does NOT write squeaky clean. They are lots cleaner than much fantasy (the reason I have mostly veered away from fantasy) but you will be disappointed if you think they are super clean.

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1 comments The six book Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan.

message 30: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Schwarz | 7 comments Has anyone read "The Bear and the Nightingale" by Katherine Arden?