dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
February's categories are going to be:

Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Crime

Nominate away, guys!

message 2: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 237 comments Great categories.

For Crime, how about Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett.

For SF- The World of Null-A-- wait, is that even on the list?

Well, since it isn't, apparently, I nominate We:

Yevgeny Zamyatin: We (1924)
Written in 1920, this dystopian satire shaped Huxley's Brave New World and Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, but was not published in Zamyatin's native Russia until 1988 (the first English translation was in 1924). What did the Soviet censors find so offensive? This "enemy of the working classes" imagined the world of the 26th century as a soulless place of straight lines and identical lives, a glass city ruled by an absolute dictator known as the Benefactor, whose subjects have security and comfort, but no liberty, privacy or dreams. Until, that is, the mathematician D-503 falls in love.
PD

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I will think about it...

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I don't see anything that jumps out at me right now--I'll read along with whatever gets picked if I already have it on my shelves, or if I find it before we start.

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 666 comments Mod
I think we've already had Red Harvest

in any case, I've read both it and We, so I nominate:

for Crime: Double Indemnity
Double Indemnity by James M. Cain

and for Sci-Fi & Fantasy: The Monk
The Monk by Matthew Lewis

message 6: by Kaycie (new)

We have had Red Harvest - August 2016. Christopher, do you want to nominate another instead?

Otherwise, great nominations, guys! I LOVED The Monk!!

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 237 comments Sorry, Red Harvest is easy pickin's, as we say.

OK, I nominate Cop Hater. Pretty sure I already have it on Kindle:

Ed McBain: Cop Hater (1956)
New York City, July 1956: on a hot summer night, detective Mike Reardon is shot dead from behind. Steve Carella and his colleagues hunt for the killer of their friend, but soon realise that this is the start of a series of police murders. William Berke directed the 1958 film, which starred Robert Loggia. McBain was also a successful screenwriter: under the pseudonym Evan Hunter he wrote the screenplay (adapted from a Daphne du Maurier story) for Hitchcock's The Birds.
KS

Cop Hater

message 8: by Kaycie (new)

Also sounds great, and one I haven't read! Thanks for changing!

message 9: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 03, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Christopher wrote: "Great categories.

For Crime, how about Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett.

For SF- The World of Null-A-- wait, is that even on the list?

Well, since it isn't, apparently, I nominate We:

Yevgeny Z..."

I second the nominations of We and Red Harvest.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments For crime, how about A Judgement in Stone by Ruth Rendell? It is apparently set in February, based on the blurb below:

"What on earth could have provoked a modern day St. Valentine's Day massacre?

On Valentine's Day, four members of the Coverdale family--George, Jacqueline, Melinda and Giles--were murdered in the space of 15 minutes. Their housekeeper, Eunice Parchman, shot them, one by one, in the blue light of a televised performance of Don Giovanni. When Detective Chief Superintendent William Vetch arrests Miss Parchman two weeks later, he discovers a second tragedy: the key to the Valentine's Day massacre hidden within a private humiliation Eunice Parchman has guarded all her life. A brilliant rendering of character, motive, and the heady discovery of truth, A Judgement in Stone is among Ruth Rendell's finest psychological thrillers."

For sci fi/fantasy, I nominate The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. This sci fi novel, the first in a series, won several awards (including the Hugo award). Here is the GR blurb:

"This is the first part of the "Forever War" series, however it can be read as a standalone.

Book Description:
The Earth's leaders have drawn a line in the interstellar sand—despite the fact that the fierce alien enemy that they would oppose is inscrutable, unconquerable, and very far away. A reluctant conscript drafted into an elite Military unit, Private William Mandella has been propelled through space and time to fight in the distant thousand-year conflict; to perform his duties without rancor and even rise up through military ranks. Pvt. Mandella is willing to do whatever it takes to survive the ordeal and return home. But "home" may be even more terrifying than battle, because, thanks to the time dilation caused by space travel, Mandella is aging months while the Earth he left behind is aging centuries."

message 11: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 666 comments Mod
should the polls be up yet...?

message 12: by Kaycie (new)

Um, yes, but some of us, (erm...me)...well, forgot. :-)

Polls are up now, though! Vote away!!

message 13: by Kaycie (new)

We have a three-way tie for the Sci-Fi book, guys! Anyone interested in changing a vote? Anyone who didn't vote want to give it a shot?