2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Becky B’s 52 in 2018 ❤️

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments Wow, how is it 2018 already?! I was just joking with my girlfriend can you believe that 1990 was like twenty years ago...? Then she informed me that was nearly THIRTY years ago... dang.

Anywho, I set my yearly intention at 50 books. Some years I crush it, some years I fly by the seat of my pants, some years I read way less. Last year I discovered audiobooks and killed it with 59! I have a pretty full life but reading is my one, true, deep love and desire (besides my family) and I make every effort to fit it in. I drive a lot for work (home health) so I can usually listen to book in 3-5 days so I think 52 is doable for me. I usually listen to whatever the library has available and I get one Audible a month (I choose the really long ones I.e. Song for Ice and Fire, Stephen King) during my driving time, housekeeping. Then I read books on off times to myself. I enjoy all things horror/ thriller/ suspense but also go into best sellers, some paranormal stuff and the occasional romance and non-fiction for a change of pace. I also was gifted with a year Book of the Month subscription from my in laws for my birthday so very much looking forward to adding to my physical library!

My other goals this year are to finish a few series I have started- The Dark Tower, Women of the Orherworld, Anne Rice, Song of Ice and Fire. I am terrible about reading 4 or 5 books at a time...

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Klein (wheelguyeric102963) | 19 comments I remember in 1976 watching a cake burning with non blow put candles

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Rebecca wrote: "Wow, how is it 2018 already?! I was just joking with my girlfriend can you believe that 1990 was like twenty years ago...? Then she informed me that was nearly THIRTY years ago... dang. ..."

Yes it surely is, time flies...
Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Rebecca & a very happy reading/New Year!!

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Michelle wrote: "You counted audio book? Dang I missed an opportunity in 2017. If I wasn't actually "reading" it I didn't count it. I listened to a bunch in 2017 but only finished 36 books books. Of course I also s..."

Yes, audiobooks are listed on GR and count as books read! :)

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) I definitely count audiobooks, as long as I'm paying attention to them. I do have one on in the background sometimes and am not properly listening to it - my conscience won't let me count those ones!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments Hahaha the “audiobooks count” argument is a huge one in my house! My husband says, “if you can count audiobooks can I count subtitled movies?” Umm... not the same! I definitely count them (audiobooks, not Kung fu movies). The brain power used to listen and interpret, recall, track is the same as physically reading imo.

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. In 2017, I read 158 books - 144 of them were audiobooks So heck yeah, they totally count!

message 8: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 06, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

message 14: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Rebecca wrote: "6. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. AWESOME"

Mmm, will have to prioritize this one. Everybody seems to love it!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments Susy wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "6. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. AWESOME"

Mmm, will have to prioritize this one. Everybody seems to love it!"

I was very impressed! The writing is great, the story flows well and lots of plot twists. Very Hitchcock-like.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments 7. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury One of my goals this year is to reread some classics I’ve not read since high school and college. It’s amazing how completely different you understand a book when you’re an adult compared to an under 20. Still love this book and think every person should read it. Reread it. Again and again.
“‘Stuff your eyes with wonder,’ he said, ‘live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic that any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask no guarantees, ask for no security, there never was such an animal. And if there were, it would be related to the great sloth which hangs upside down in a tree all day every day, sleeping its life away. To hell with that,’ he said, ‘shake the tree and knock the great sloth down on his ass.'”

message 17: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 02, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

message 18: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!

message 19: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Looks like you're on a roll Rebecca!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments 12. The Magician King by Lev Grossman

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments 13. The Dark Tower by Stephen King. I’m soooooo sad it’s over! Such a heartbreaking yet heartfixing (yeah I did, you only understand if you’ve read it) ending to Roland’s epic.

message 24: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments You are doing great! Hoping March is a smashing success for you.

message 25: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 11, 2018 12:31PM) (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments Thanks Blagica and Susy! So far so good this year!
14. Turbo Twenty-Three by Janet Evanovich.
15. The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman.
16. Final Girls by Riley Sager.
17. The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King.

message 26: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 03, 2018 09:52AM) (new)

message 27: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments 21. The Woman in the Water by Charles Finch.
22. The Broken Girls by Simone St. James. OMG amazing! I love how she twisted the fictional, creepy horror with historical fiction horror of WW2.

Slowing down a bit to tackle some huge reads now- rereading Game of Thrones and trying Vampire Lestat again.

message 29: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May! Awesome job so far!

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments 23. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Second time reading, still as good (and long!) as the first.
24. Neighborly by Ellie Monago.
25. The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.
26. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty.
27. The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor.
28. A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. BOOM!
29. Circe by Madeline Miller. One of my favorites of 2018!

message 31: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Hoping July is full of page turning!

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments 30. The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager. READ THIS BOOK! Best book of the summer by FAR.

message 36: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Congratulations Rebecca! 🍾

message 37: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 38 comments 56. The Christmas Hirelings by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
57. Cross Her Heart by Sarah Pinborough
58. Bird Box by Josh Malerman a favorite for this year! Nope did not watch the movie. Pretty sure Netflix will screw the pooch on that one.