Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

The French Lieutenant's Woman
This topic is about The French Lieutenant's Woman
Monthly Book Reads > French Lieutenant's Woman, The - January 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Here is the thread for January 2018's Love book, The French Lieutenant's Woman.

Who all is reading this month?

Bryan--Pumpkin Connoisseur (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 558 comments I'll get in on this one as well, but it might be closer to the middle of the month before I start. I'm eager to read this one as well

Leslie | 825 comments I will look for a copy at the library...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m reading it & love it so far!

message 5: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) I've started listening to the audio version and is really enjoying it so far. The language is beautiful and the tone interesting.

Leslie | 825 comments So my library book came in much later than I anticipated but I am finally reading this.

I have never seen the movie so I didn't know anything about the plot so it took me a bit by surprise. Quite different from the other Fowles books I have read!

I like the way Fowles talks directly to the reader at times -- somewhat reminiscent of Thackeray in Vanity Fair (which I love). It is hard to imagine how that is translated into film -- maybe those parts are just omitted...

Bryan--Pumpkin Connoisseur (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 558 comments I'm still hoping to at least start this before the month is out. Almost done with Zeno

Bryan--Pumpkin Connoisseur (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 558 comments I got in in the nick of time--about 30 pages in yesterday. I like it a lot so far.

Leslie | 825 comments I am still reading The French Lieutenant's Woman - the more I read it, the less I understand how it could be properly conveyed in a film! At a bit more than halfway through, I am liking the main characters a bit less than I did at the beginning but am intrigued to see where it goes.

Bryan--Pumpkin Connoisseur (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 558 comments Leslie wrote: "I am still reading The French Lieutenant's Woman - the more I read it, the less I understand how it could be properly conveyed in a film! At a bit more than halfway through, I am likin..."

I'm making slow progress--Charles has just bumped into Sarah on Ware Common, but I like the easy conversational style. There's a couple of times where I think Fowles is just looking to get in some of his research, but I can't complain, because it's all been pretty interesting so far.

He throws in some literary references that were fun to catch as well--since they are at Lyme, he has his characters note the spot where Louisa Musgrove from the novel Persuasion falls and hits her head, and a little later, Fowles goes into a short discursive aside about Sam Weller from The Pickwick Papers. Since I read both books last year, there was that momentary glow of recognition.

Bryan--Pumpkin Connoisseur (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 558 comments I finished this up last night--I liked it. It certainly kept my interest, though I found the ending to be a bit baffling. This was probably my fault--near the end of a book like this, I tend to speed-read to get to the climax. I plan on going back over the last four or five chapters to see what I might have missed the first time. It doesn't help that Fowles gets playfully obscure with his sentences, especially when I'm speed-reading.

Leslie | 825 comments I still have about 100 pages to go.

message 13: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick | 153 comments Just gonna toss out the idea.
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
has some of the same kinds of breaking the third wall. The movie adopted some of the same techniques as the movie The French Lt.
It takes a little adjustment, but Tristram is a lovely little bagatelle and well worth the getting used to it.

IMHO Sterne beat Joyce to the punch of stream of conscious about 160 years ahead and with a much finer sense of humor. I

It has been a while sine I read it, but if I have not yet posted a review I will.

Bryan--Pumpkin Connoisseur (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 558 comments Phrodrick wrote: "Just gonna toss out the idea.
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
has some of the same kinds of breaking the third wall. The movie adopted some of the same techniques a..."

I have been saying that I was going to get to Shandy since I was 18. An extreme case of waiting to get a round tuit.