Book Snails Book Group discussion

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
This topic is about Red Queen
ARCHIVED > January 2018 BOTM: "RED QUEEN" by Victoria Aveyard

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

StarMan (thestarman) | 1826 comments Mod
The votes are in! Our group "Book of the Month" winner for January is RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard. If you've read it, or plan to read it soon, feel free to discuss it here with your fellow Book Snails.

No BIG spoilers, please (or hide between spoiler tags).

Tagline: "Power is a dangerous game"
Genre: Fantasy/YA/Sci-Fi/Dystopia
First Published: 2015, Harper Teen

Some of the covers from around the world:

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Црвена кралица (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Багряна королева by Victoria Aveyard Die rote Königin (Die Farben des Blutes #1) by Victoria Aveyard Red Queen Collector's Edition by Victoria Aveyard Punainen kuningatar (Punainen kuningatar, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Алая королева (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

message 2: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
This one looks good! ;-)

storytimesaddness | 9 comments I'm excited to start reading it!

Pien | 446 comments Yes, the library has it, I’m in!

Kelsey Picking it up from the library tonight or tomorrow!

message 6: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Awesome! I'm excited!

message 7: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Jan 03, 2018 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read it not too terribly long ago, and thought it was plusgood (4 stars on the YA scale). It pretty much lived up to the hype.

I won't give any spoilers, other than to say it's a bit fantasy, a bit sci-fi, and involves two groups of characters: those with unusual abilities, and those who are powerless. I thought it was definitely unique enough that I plan to read Book #2 and possibly beyond. I did a very short, NO spoiler review at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Get it at:

Overdrive (free): https://www.overdrive.com/media/17458... (if your library has it)

BookOutlet.com: http://bookoutlet.com/Store/Search?qf... ($2.19-$3.79 new, + s/h)

BookDepository: https://www.bookdepository.com/search...
($7.29, free worldwide shipping)

Amazon, B&N, etc: https://www.goodreads.com/book/223285...

Erin | 580 comments I only gave it 2/5 stars :-P
I really didn’t care for it, but obviously I’m in the minority since it has an average rating of 4+ stars...

message 9: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin wrote: "I only gave it 2/5 stars :-P
I really didn’t care for it, but obviously I’m in the minority since it has an average rating of 4+ stars..."

Yep, it might be a bit too YA or fantastical for some. I am usually more lenient with YA titles (since I'm not a YA). I read a lot of bad/silly YA, and thought Red Queen was better than much of what is out there.

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin | 580 comments I’m not a diehard YA fan, but I do read a fair amount of it. At first, this book reminded me of The Young Elites and then it veered off. I liked Young Elites better, though I did quit that series after the second book...

Kelsey I'm only 50 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far. My one complaint is the world building, though. I know that authors obviously need to do this, but in this book, it reads more as exposition! It's very, "well 1,000 years ago this family did this and this and this which led to this, which now looks like this and because of this..."

I also feel like the descriptions aren't that great either. Besides her hair, I have no clue what Mare looks like! Or any of the characters, really. We mostly get hair descriptions, and occasionally eye color descriptions. Maybe that's the point, but I like to picture my characters, so it's a little hard to really connect with them in this book. For me at least!

I always prefer books that show, not tell. However, I do like the story, and I'm curious as to what (view spoiler).

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments I just bought books 1 and 2 in this series in December, but I'm trying to decide if May is soon enough for the final book to come out to start reading. If I get into them I'll plough through through and then be annoyed waiting for the last book. I think May is soon enough that I won't abandon the series though.

Kelsey The more I get into it, the less I like it. I don't hate it, by any means, but I don't feel like the writing is spectacular, and I also feel like Mare has no characteristics other than being super sarcastic and almost downright mean. She's just filled with hate.

My biggest complaint about Mare is the fact that it's drilled into the readers mind constantly that she's "not like other girls". She's a Red! She's tough! She doesn't relate to any girls and she doesn't want to try! She hates everything! Yet she also hates Evangeline for this exact reason...

I know Mare has had a very tough life, but jeez. People and/or characters who hate every single thing are just boring.

Kelsey Unfortunately I DNFed this one :( I couldn't get into it anymore.

message 15: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelsey wrote: "...[Mare] hates everything! Yet she also hates Evangeline for this exact reason... ..."

True... but sometimes it seems like teenagers "hate" nearly everything that isn't themselves or their best buds, right? (And somedays they even hate their BFFs). Maybe because they think they know everything, and haven't discovered that life is not black and white yet. Or red and silver, even.

And yeah, some days I don't feel like reading overdone YA drama, either. But at least in RQ, there's plenty of butt-kicking. Hope you like your next YA read better :)

message 16: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brandyn wrote: "I just bought books 1 and 2 in this series in December, but I'm trying to decide if May is soon enough for the final book to come out to start reading. If I get into them I'll plough through throug..."

Waiting months for the next book (esp if the last one was a cliffhanger) is no fun! I try to wait till a series is done before plunging in, but sometimes a Book #1 looks too promising to resist, right?

I also tend to NOT read the "decimal" books (# 0.1, #1.5, etc.). Are you a completist that has to read everything in a series?

message 17: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin wrote: "I’m not a diehard YA fan, but I do read a fair amount of it. At first, this book reminded me of The Young Elites and then it veered off. I liked Young Elites better, though I did qu..."

Do you recommend The Young Elites ? (I assume so, since you gave it 4 stars). I'm one of the few who did not like Lu's Legend, so I'm hesitant to try another of her books.

Kelsey StarMan wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "...[Mare] hates everything! Yet she also hates Evangeline for this exact reason... ..."

True... but sometimes it seems like teenagers "hate" nearly everything that isn't themselves ..."

I suppose...but my "hate everything" phase stopped when I was 12, not 17 :P

And even though my review is filled entirely with complaints, I didn't hate the book! I actually would have enjoyed it a lot more if there was better world building. And the girls actually liked each other. I despise when women hate other women strictly for the fact that they're women. Other than that, I don't know. It wasn't awful. Just not my cuppa'!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel so many ways at once about this book! I just put it down from finishing it. I thought the characters were underdeveloped and the writing was kind of weak, but I just could not stop reading it. When I wasn’t reading it, it was on my mind, wondering what was coming next. I thought the book had good conversations about war and rebellions and how much death and destruction can be justified for a movement’s end goals. I haven’t read much YA recently, but I really liked this one.

message 20: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin | 580 comments StarMan wrote: "Do you recommend The Young Elites ? (I assume so, since you gave it 4 stars). I'm one of the few who did not like Lu's Legend, so I'm hesitant to try another of her books. "

It’s been awhile now since I’ve read it... I can’t remember exactly why I gave it 4 stars, but I did enjoy it and was pretty eager to read the 2nd book. I did not enjoy the 2nd book however and quit the series after that one. I guess I wouldn’t recommend it because, though I liked that first one, I didn’t like where the story went from there.

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments For a debut novel I enjoyed this quite a bit. I did get some Hunger Games and Grishaverse vibes, but overall it’s a really interesting world.

I’m not certain I’ll keep going and finish the series though. If it were a trilogy, sure, but five books is a commitment. I would like to know where it goes from here. Decisions, decisions :)

I also am really glad the book stands on its own. Obviously, there’s still story to tell, but this “chapter” of it was wrapped up nicely. A cliffhanger first book is a deal killer for me.

message 22: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Kelsey wrote: "Unfortunately I DNFed this one :( I couldn't get into it anymore."

Perfectly fine, Kelsey!

message 23: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

Hmmmm...so many mixed opinions and emotions about this one!

message 24: by Pien (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pien | 446 comments Three stars for me and a short review to be found here... I enjoyed myself reading it, but I don’t feel like reading the sequel. I don’t think young adult really suits me...

Read my 3-star review of Rode koningin by Victoria Aveyard
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 25: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pien wrote: "Three stars for me and a short review to be found here... I enjoyed myself reading it, but I don’t feel like reading the sequel. I don’t think young adult really suits me... "

Pien, I feel that way about a lot of YA series. Even if I 3+ star the first book, I may not be interested enough in the characters to continue, or may not be in any hurry. Especially if the first book was heavy on silly love triangles or insta-love at the expense of plot or action.

I would give the Red Queen series another shot, though.

message 26: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hope anyone who read Red Queen with us in January got something out of it. Thank you to everyone who has already commented on it.

► Did you love the main character?

► How was Victoria Aveyard's writing style in this story?

► What did you think of the story/plot/twists?

► Was this a good -- or not-so-great -- example of YA literature?

► Would you read Book #2 in this series (Glass Sword)?

Kelsey StarMan wrote: "I hope anyone who read Red Queen with us in January got something out of it. Thank you to everyone who has already commented on it.

► Did you love the main character?

► How was V..."

I hated the main character, actually! Literally, though, only because, for whatever reason, Aveyard made her hate every female character to grace the planet except for her sister. I got so tired of reading, "she's beautiful and I hate her," or "she looks mean and I can sense that she hates me already so I hate her too". It's boring.

I also wasn't particularly fond of the writing style either! There was no world building at all, and it confused me a lot. I couldn't picture anything, I couldn't place where anything was, etc.

As for the story, I was actually super invested in it until she was made to become Maven's betrothed. From there, I felt like the story dragged on, and as she met more and more people (and hated them, of course), I couldn't keep track of who was who, and frankly, I didn't really care to.

I didn't finish this book, but I remember being around 50 pages or so and thinking, wow, this is great! I'll read the whole series! I can say, 100% definitely, this is in the top 3 of books that have disappointed me.

message 28: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Yea I decided to forgo this one...just wasn't one on my list of reads that interested me.