Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Artemis
This topic is about Artemis
Monthly Read: Member Picks > January 2018-Tad's pick-Artemis

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (last edited Jan 01, 2018 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
Hi and welcome to out discussion of Artemis, Tad's Choice poll winner.

I plan to join, and have a hold at the library, but who knows how long that will take!
Hopefully soon.....

message 2: by Tad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tad (tottman) | 54 comments I hope everyone enjoys this. I was a huge fan of The Martian and was really looking forward to Artemis. While maybe not quite as gripping as The Martian, I thought it was a lot of fun!

I really enjoyed the character of Jazz Bashara. The comparisons to Mark Watney are going to be unavoidable, but I really appreciated her sarcasm and sense of humor. I'm curious what other people's reaction to her is. From what I've seen it's quite varied.

I also really liked the setting. The dome city, the economics, the politics, all of it was fascinating. I'd really like to see further stories set here.

Looking forward to seeing what people think!

message 3: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Stone | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book! I think what I liked most was the fact that the lead character (Jazz) isn’t some scientist or professional astronaut. It’s someone who ends up in a situation they are wildly unprepared for, but capable of handling thanks to the course their life took.

I can’t help but see her friend as similar to Eugene Porter from the Walking Dead. I couldn’t help but see Josh McDermott in with a mullet my head while reading his dialog.

I was worried how this book would be...I’m glad I was pleasantly surprised.

I’m not sure how much is different from the last published version from the advance copy I had the opportunity to read, so I may need to pick up a copy and skim through it again.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I finished this last month. I really enjoyed it, but not as much as The Martian.

There were many LOL moments. I especially liked the bits where she was reading about the Saudi Arabian royal family.

message 5: by Tad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tad (tottman) | 54 comments I hope people are enjoying this read. One of the things I liked best about it was the pacing. Much like The Martian, once the action got rolling, it had a lot of momentum all the way to the end.

Carolyn Thanks for the pick Tad. I enjoyed this, not as much as The Martian and I found Jazz a little annoying but overall is was fun, lots of humour and good action. I paricularly liked Weir's vision of what a colony on the Moon could look like and how it would function as a space port and the different living arrangements for the resident workers and tourists.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Tad wrote: "I hope people are enjoying this read. One of the things I liked best about it was the pacing. Much like The Martian, once the action got rolling, it had a lot of momentum all the way to the end."

I agree with the pacing, though I did like the Martian quite a bit better. I did not find Jazz annoying like other have. One of my laugh out loud moments is when she is reading the gossip sheets on the Saudi royals.

Carolyn What annoyed me most about Jazz was that she was supposed to be 26 but acted like she was 16, rebelling against her Dad by having a low paid unskilled job instead of using her brain and talents to do something better paid. I did enjoy her interactions with others and the Saudi gossip news feed was pretty funny.

message 9: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finally got the library copy! Starting it today!

message 10: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought the pacing was great, too.
I did find it odd about the gay ex=boyfriend though. Not that that couldnt happen, but the fact she had no clue, even in hindsight. especially the way Dale describes him!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Maggie wrote: "I thought the pacing was great, too.
I did find it odd about the gay ex=boyfriend though. Not that that couldnt happen, but the fact she had no clue, even in hindsight. especially the way Dale desc..."

I don't know. I had no clue my former Washington State history teacher was fondling members of the freshman wrestling team, yet a girlfriend said it was widely known.