Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you Reading January 2018?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments New year, new books.

Maybe I won't do quite so many rereads this year, since my tbr is ever growing...

That said, I'm starting my Discworld-a-thon with a reread of Thief of Time.

Maybe not on that reread thing?

message 2: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments If my challenge goals go as planned, I will be rereading at least half of the books I want to complete this year.

I'm starting with Dead Until Dark. It has been a decade (at the least) since I read this one.

message 3: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments My problem is that every time I got into a slump, I started rereading stuff I liked. Which is all well and good until you realize your tbr list is well over 300 books, and you just keep rereading stuff instead of tackling new stuff.

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Jan 01, 2018 04:15PM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments That said, I set my challenge to only 63 books next this year. It's lower than past years, but I struggled to get to 79 this year, so I decided I'm gonna just not stress about it next this year.

message 5: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "My problem is that every time I got into a slump, I started rereading stuff I liked. Which is all well and good until you realize your tbr list is well over 300 books, and you just keep rereading s..."

colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "That said, I set my challenge to only 63 books next this year. It's lower than past years, but I struggled to get to 79 this year, so I decided I'm gonna just not stress about it next this year."

I understand!

Reading slumps suck, but if revisiting old favorites get you through it then I say keep them close by. The more you stress over your TBR, the worse it might get so just read what you can when you can. It'll sort itself out in the end.
Maybe challenge yourself to read one or two from your TBR for every reread...like adding vegetables to your favorite comfort food so that you remain healthy. :)

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Vegetables. Ugh. I ate brussel sprouts tonight, made almost bearable by dipping them in honey mustard.

message 7: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Lol! I hate Brussels sprouts! And they hate me; I get a stomach ache after eating them - so I don’t!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I cataloged the DTBs that I own to make them even more visible; I hope to read lots of them!

Michelle Sedai of the Brown Ajah (michellekobus) | 123 comments I've been reading a bit of Blood and Gold. I like Anne Rice, but new and shiny books have kept this on my shelf since 2010 and I'm finally starting to feel guilty. Today I finished The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1; not the best thing ever, but not awful. I intend to continue La Belle Sauvage and Winter's Heart soon. I've been taking forever with them even though I like them. Too much time wasting on sites like GR! ;)

message 10: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I finally finshed Words of Radiance!

Just reading Edgedancer in a hurry before I FINALLY start Oathbringer.

message 11: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Dawn wrote: "I finally finshed Words of Radiance!

Just reading Edgedancer in a hurry before I FINALLY start Oathbringer."

You'll still catch me, probably.

message 12: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Chris wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I finally finshed Words of Radiance!

Just reading Edgedancer in a hurry before I FINALLY start Oathbringer."

You'll still catch me, pr..."

I'm finally starting Oathbringer tonight! I'm so excited!!!! NEW STORMLIGHT WORDS!!!!!

message 13: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Awesome.

I have 170 pages left :)

message 14: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "I'm starting with Dead Until Dark. It has been a decade (at the least) since I read this one. ."

I finished earlier today, and am now reading the prequel to The Hollows series, The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death.

It is longer than I was expecting, so I hope I can complete it by Saturday and start Dead Witch Walking on time.

message 15: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Chris wrote: "Awesome.

I have 170 pages left :)"

Almost there! I definitely won't catch up, haha. What do you think so far?

message 16: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'm loving it, Dawn. I believe I'm under 100 to go now, as I read a lot last night. Nothing today at work though, as I've had to actually work. So annoying.

message 17: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments I'm about 3/4 into Fears of Henry IV: The Life of England's Self-made King, which I'm rather liking, and a third of the way into final trilogy entry Angel's Knight. The trilogy's ended up being a bit more derring do and less grimdark than I thought it might be early on, but still rather engaging.

message 18: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I finished Oathbringer and my audiobook The White Tower.

Started Blood Song and enjoying it quite a bit.

message 19: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I jumped into Captain James Hook and the Siege of Neverland after finishing the first book. I'm enjoying these books more than I expected to, tbh.

message 20: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "I'm starting with Dead Until Dark. It has been a decade (at the least) since I read this one. ."

I finished earlier today, and am now reading the prequel to The Hollows series, The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death.

It is longer than I was expecting, so I hope I can complete it by Saturday and start Dead Witch Walking on time. "

Ok, so that didn't happen.

I finally finished The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death (Hollows prequel 1 of 3) last night.

I want to start the second Sookie book, Living Dead in Dallas tonight.

Dead Witch Walking gets pushed back a week, and I hope I can also slip the two other Hollows prequels in there somewhere as well.

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 28 comments Spellbound (Once Upon, #1) by Nora Roberts Spellbound by Nora Roberts in paperback
A short story with romance, suspense, magic, witches and an evil wizard. Calin Farrell goes to Ireland for a much needed rest. He has had dreams since childhood of certain place, with a red-headed young woman. He feels pulled to this place all of his life. When he arrives he finds a small cottage and very aggressive, beautiful woman named Bryna Torrence. She tries to convince him why he is there and the spell that has been cast over them. She needs his help to once and for all defeat the wicked wizard who want her body, soul and her powers. This book could have had a lot of potential, but I found it difficult to follow. The story line was not well defined and all over the place. For a short story, it took me long to read it. 2 stars

message 22: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I recently read Captain James Hook and the Curse of Peter Pan and Captain James Hook and the Siege of Neverland, which I enjoyed more than I expected, honestly, and now I'm hoping for a third in the series.

Now I'm reading Year One: A Quincy Harker, Demon Hunter Collection. I found it a bit off-putting in the first chapter, but I've settled into it now. It's kind of a Dresden/Constantine hybrid, and while it seems to try too hard to be "badass" sometimes, it's pretty enjoyable overall.

message 23: by Becky (last edited Jan 28, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 28 comments Ever After (Once Upon, #2) by Nora Roberts Ever After by Nora Roberts in paperback
A fun, easy, fast read. It drew me in as it went on. A story filled with mystique, romance and some magic included. I like how she sort of left the core of the story towards more of the end, so it made me continue reading. 4 stars

message 24: by Becky (last edited Jan 31, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 28 comments In Dreams (Once Upon #3) in paperback by Nora Roberts
"In Dreams" by Nora Roberts in paperback.
A short story of romance, mystery, intrigue and magic. I predicted the ending, but it was a fun ride getting to it. 5 stars

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Last weekend, I finished reading the MG/YA book, The Ruins of Gorlan, and though I'd quibble about a couple of things, I gave it five stars.

message 26: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I love Ranger's Apprentice. One of my favorite series.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.