Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > dec 2017 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1200 comments Happy New Year!!

I had a really quality December though my total read or listened to numbers for 2017 were the lowest since I have been keeping records. Here are my December reads:

Top Reads

April Fool (Arthur Beauchamp, #2) by William Deverell April Fool
William Deverell
This was just as entertaining as the first book in the series. Famous Canadian barrister Arthur Beauchamp decides to come out of retirement to help out an old client who has been arrested on murder charges. I really enjoyed the author's writing style, all the characters, and found the plot very engaging.

The Wreckage by Michael Robotham The Wreckage
Michael Robotham
I always enjoy the books in this series when Vincent Ruiz takes the leading role and this thriller was no exception. The story line was pretty ambitious with sections set in Iraq as well as London but it mostly held together and the writing and characterizations were top notch. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by one of my favorites, Sean Barrett.

The Kings of Cool by Don Winslow The Kings of Cool
Don Winslow
This is the prequel to Savages and while not quite as powerful this was still a very good look at the California drug trade. I loved the writing style of both books, the humor, and thought the narration of the audio by Holter Graham was quite good.

Good Reads

Closed Circle A Novel by Robert Goddard Closed Circle: A Novel
Robert Goddard
While I would not rank this book among the author's best, it was a fairly entertaining work of historical suspense set during the Great Depression.

The Rooster Bar by John Grisham The Rooster Bar
John Grisham
This started a bit slowly for me but by the end I did become caught up in the plot and found it fairly entertaining. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Ari Fliakos who I found a bit bland.

Deep Freeze (Virgil Flowers, #10) by John Sandford Deep Freeze
John Sandford
A fun and entertaining return engagement for Virgil to the small town of Trippton where he must investigate the murder of the bank president/owner. Listened to the audio version which was read by Eric Conger who I really enjoy now.

Hail, Hail, The Gang's All Here! (87th Precinct, #25) by Ed McBain Hail, Hail, The Gang's All Here!
Ed McBain
This book follows the entire squad of the 87th Precinct through one extremely busy day. I liked this different approach and found it quite readable.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14412 comments Nice list Sandi
I've really enjoyed the Don Winslow books I have read, but there are several more; I should probably put one or two of his books on my determination list.
I agree, The Rooster Bar did turn out to be entertaining. In hindsight, along with Grisham's agenda addressed with the plot that was probably the point. It has stayed on the top seller lists for a while I think.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1200 comments Ann wrote: "Nice list Sandi
I've really enjoyed the Don Winslow books I have read, but there are several more; I should probably put one or two of his books on my determination list.."

I've never read or listened to a bad book by Don Winslow. He is always consistently good and I am looking forward to getting caught up with his work in 2018.