Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 662 (662 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Happy New Year! I am starting a new thread for the new year, and will retire the one for 2017.

I just finished The Midnight Line by Lee Child, and think I will start the new Jesse Stone.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments J/F: The Wanted (Elvis Cole, #17; Joe Pike, #6) by Robert Crais The Wanted

N/R: undecided!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments JF Uncommon Type: Some Stories, audio read by the author (Tom Hanks) many of these were quite good.
NR White Bodies Kindle, but I am losing my library loan so have read 50% and will pick back up later.
NR audio haven't decided yet

message 4: by Donnajo (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:52AM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Happy New Year.
J/f: Yesterday I read and finished 3 books. Saving the sheriff by Kadie Scott, unjustly Destroyed by Marie Skye and a little too much by Lisa Desrochers. Off to a great reading start for 2018.
N/R: I looked at the 2 arcs from the shore bookstore. Both go live in February. So the first one up is Sunburn by Laura Lippman so i'll be starting that book. I'm still reading (seems forever) Bungalow Nights by Christie Ridgeway
I'll be adding more to the list I started reading one from NetGalley yesterday but I don't have the title/author handy.

message 5: by Donnajo (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Just a reminder to everyone if you want to do a Reading challenge come over and check our group's 2018 Determination Plus Challenge. We would love for you to join us.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 435 comments Finished reading The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille by Nelson DeMille Nelson DeMille

My Review

I have started reading The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22) by Lee Child by Lee Child Lee Child

message 7: by Donnajo (last edited Jan 10, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I have my hopeful current list of books here.

JF: His Secret by Gina A Jones (NetGalley to review)

NR:
On the Round by Shelli Stevens (Tule/NetGalley) (FINISHED 1/8)
A Little too Hot by Lisa Desrochers (late night book nook)
Bungalow Nights by Christie Ridgeway (yes I started this owned print book last year and still haven't finished it. don't want to give up since I'm at the 1/2 point) (FINISHED 1/9)
Sunburn by Laura Lippman (arc to read/review for bookstore at the shore I need to get this book done before it goes live in February)
Looking for Alaska by John Green (it's been off to the side for awhile need to get back to it)

Also I was going though another section of bags of books I did find one that I had already read probably on the nook so that one is moving out, Plus 5 other books that I decided I'm never reading so they are leaving. I also picked 5 other ones that I decided to start a few chapters in each to see what I think and maybe get to them next.
The Protector by Gennita Low
The Lover's Knot by Clare O'donahue
In the Land of no Right Angles by Daphne Beal (Started)
On the Ropes by Tom Schreck (Started)
Rainwater by Sandra brown
If anyone read any of those let me know what you think and if you enjoyed them or not. I've picked them so I can get started moving on my challenges for 2018.

Happy Reading everyone.
Off to reading I go.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments JFWhite Bodies I discovered that airplane mode on my phone while flying home preserved my library loan so I finished it. I didn't love it, but was compelled to find out what the expected to be twisted ending would be. It didn't disappoint.
JF Uncommon Type: Some Stories I recommend these short stories. I don't usually find that audio is a good format for short stories but having Tom Hanks read them to me was a treat. He is a good writer too.
NR The Midnight Line I accidentally left my bluetooth ear buds at the security checkpoint and didn't realize until too late so I didn't listen to Reacher on the flight home. Rectifying that now.
Nice list DJ! I hope you like Laura Lippman's Sunburn, it is a top candidate for a group read book this year.
Donnajo wrote: "I have my hopeful current list of books here. ..."

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Ann wrote: "JFWhite Bodies I discovered that airplane mode on my phone while flying home preserved my library loan so I finished it. I didn't love it, but was compelled to find out what the exp..."

Ann, I just picked up the Uncommon Type: Some Stories audio from the library. Hoping to get to it soon.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments J/F: The Silken Edge by Laci Paige.

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Ann wrote: "JFWhite Bodies I discovered that airplane mode on my phone while flying home preserved my library loan so I finished it. I didn't love it, but was compelled to find out what the exp..."

I hope to get started on reading Sunburn today. After I get more read in the Di Lorenzo book. So many books on the current pile that I want to get started or get back to and the one I have to do since it goes live in a week I can't get into.

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments J/F: Unsolicited Advice by Melinda Di Lorenzo

Finally started today Sunburn, In the world of no right Angle, and On the ropes. Also read more of Bungalow nights.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments j/f: Waking Lions- ayelet gundar-goshen
n/r: Curses, Boiled Again!- shari randall

message 14: by Donnajo (last edited Jan 08, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments JF: Chasing Eva by Carmella Hart

NR: I hope to concentrate today on
starting One more Round by Shelli Stevens, Sunburn by Lippman, On the ropes by Shreck, Looking for Alaska by Green, Bungalow nights by Ridgway.

of yesterdays books I started I like what I read so far in Sunburn, On the ropes it kind of funny, In the land of no right angles hasn't grabbed me yet and I'm undecided on it.

message 15: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments JF: Bungalow Nights by Christie Ridgway (All I have to say is Finally)

Besides the current books I started already I (oh well) stopped at the library to get the January Bookpage newspaper) And picked up 2 books I was recommended by a friend from the shore (who is a retired librarian)
The Break Down by B. A Paris (she recommended both of her books)
the Ice Twins by S. K. Tremayne (she said she read it in 2 days)
Plus I saw a new book by Wil Mara who wrote Wave which I loved when I read it a few years ago. This book is called Fallout. Which I think I'll be starting to read today.

message 16: by Ann (last edited Jan 10, 2018 09:08PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments JF The Midnight Line audio
NR Two Kinds of Truth audio
NR Lightning Men Kindle - our January group read

message 17: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany De Armond | 25 comments Sherry wrote: "j/f: Waking Lions- ayelet gundar-goshen
n/r: Curses, Boiled Again!- shari randall"

I looked up Waking Lions. Looks unique. Is it worth the read? Is it suspenseful or it is more a modern fiction drama?

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Tiffany wrote: "Sherry wrote: "j/f: Waking Lions- ayelet gundar-goshen
n/r: Curses, Boiled Again!- shari randall"

I looked up Waking Lions. Looks unique. Is it worth the read? Is i..."

tiffany-
it was a good read, very dense language, but beautifully written. everyone in my book club enjoyed it. not suspenseful, though. more a question of morality.

message 19: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Stuck in a fast library book that has to go back in Tuesday and my sister gave me today saying it is good. Read 93 pages already hooked. Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs

message 20: by BurgendyA (new)

BurgendyA | 57 comments Today I just fished reading Breakdown by Jonathan Kellerman. This novel was another Alex Delaware & Milo Sturgis psychological crime-thrillers. Kellerman hasn't let me yet and I have years reading his books. I really enjoyed the book the plot was interesting and kept me really engage to it. Now I am almost finishing the audio read. I luv reading the books while I am on the go and enjoy listening to John Rubinstein narrates. He definitely knows how Alex & Milos express tone and diction beautifully. =)~

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments JF The Midnight Line
JF Two Kinds of Truth

Reacher and Harry both with situations reflecting the opioid crisis and both doing something to help.
Spoiler for both (as a comparison)
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Donnajo wrote: "Stuck in a fast library book that has to go back in Tuesday and my sister gave me today saying it is good. Read 93 pages already hooked. Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs"

just finished that one, dj. i love her books.

message 23: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I'm a little less than 1/2 way though the book. If I stick with it only today I might come close to finishing it up. I have loved other books of her's in the past but haven't read any of them lately.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 435 comments Finished reading The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22) by Lee Child by Lee Child Lee Child

My Review

I am reading Robicheaux (Dave Robicheaux, #21) by James Lee Burke by James Lee Burke James Lee Burke

message 25: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Did two more areas of books weeded out another 12 books I'll never read They will go either in the bag for the march library sale or to my friend's mil. plus one more I read and was going to keep but I'll never read it again.
Now it's time to get some reading in so I can get to read some of the books I again moved in the front so I can read them faster.

message 26: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments J/F: Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs

NR: Today I'm concentrating on reading
The first kiss of the Spring by Emily March
Either read more of library book Fallout by Wil Mara or start the break Down by B. A Paris.
When I finish a top plus read it's so hard reading the next book and especially if you haven't started it yet or only a few pages into it.
Sometimes I can say I hate starting a new books but that is so true after reading a book like I just finished.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 435 comments Finished reading Robicheaux (Dave Robicheaux, #21) by James Lee Burke by James Lee Burke James Lee Burke

My Review

I am going to start The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz Dean Koontz

message 28: by Alfred (new)

Alfred | 87 comments I finished reading The Night of the White Buffalo by Margaret Cole, A Wind River Mystery and started for personal reasons The Canticle of Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr.

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments j/f: Curses, Boiled Again!- shari randall
n/r: The Family Next Door- sally hepworth

message 30: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments BurgendyA wrote: "Today I just fished reading Breakdown by Jonathan Kellerman. This novel was another Alex Delaware & Milo Sturgis psychological crime-thrillers. Kellerman hasn't let me yet and I have years reading ..."

Burgendy, I have been a lifelong reader of Kellerman books as well. Now I have to be in the mood to read them but I always go back to find out what Milo and Alex are up to.

message 31: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Jim wrote: "Finished reading Robicheaux (Dave Robicheaux, #21) by James Lee Burke by James Lee Burke James Lee Burke

My Review

I am going to start The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz by [autho..."

Jim, I just got [book:Robicheaux|35297186] as a birthday present. I didn't even know there was a knew book out in the series. Looking forward to reading it.

message 33: by Colleen (last edited Jan 18, 2018 06:01AM) (new)

Colleen (crynski) | 17 comments JF: Light It Up (Peter Ash #3) by Nick Petrie
an awesome 3rd entry into one of my new favorite series.
Those of you who enjoy Reacher if you haven't checked out Nick Petrie's series, I cannot recommend The Drifter (Peter Ash, #1) by Nicholas Petrie highly enough.

NR: The Last Place You Look by Kristen Lepionka
Several people I know have been excited about this one, and the semi local setting is great. Ohio seems to be getting more and more mystery love, which is fantastic. Still early in this book but so far I am enjoying it.

message 34: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Sounds like a must-check-out for me. Thanks

message 35: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments JF: The Tin Rose (steampunk romance short story)
NR: Glass Houses by Louise Penny which is my first mystery of the year

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim | 435 comments Finished reading The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz Dean Koontz

My Review

I am going to start Deep Freeze (Virgil Flowers, #10) by John Sandford by John Sandford John Sandford next

message 37: by Les (last edited Jan 25, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Les  | 150 comments I'm now reading:- The Echo Killing (Harper McClain #1) by Christi Daugherty thanks to a Goodreads giveaway.

Sorry I'm not replying in the JF/NR format as I've just discovered this new thread.

message 38: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments JF: Successio (alternate history thriller)

NR: Miss Kopp's Midnight Confessions by Amy Stewart (historical mystery)

message 39: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Things are crazy I with the current list of books. I’m in lost in overbooked land and don’t know if I can ever find my way out. Lol. I have 20 arcs to read and review. Most haven’t gone live yet. But still. It is hard to stay on top of it.
1 library book the ice twins I gave in and returned unread for time being but still renewed the Wil Mara and Paris ones.
Still have 2 print arcs from shore store which go live in feb.
The rest are all ebooks.

JF: loving Eva by Carmelita Hart (will be doing my reviews today)

Good news got a new iPad and finally used gift cards for amazon and ordered a kindle fire 7. It is only the promo one they have now but hoping it will help with the NetGalley arcs. (iPad I said wasn’t being used for books yet it has been for time being when mini is being charged. Do use iPod Touch at times but saw the kindle at a pop up in mall and size is between) Yes, I’m still a nook girl and always will be. There will be a new tablet in my future using Xmas gift cards.
Once I figure out my current reading list from all. I will post.

message 40: by Les (new)

Les  | 150 comments JF:- The Echo Killing A gripping debut crime thriller you won’t be able to put down! by Christi Daugherty Very good indeed.

NR:- Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie Been a while, looking forward to reading more by Joe Abercrombie

message 41: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments j/f: The Family Next Door- sally hepworth
n/r: Pachinko- min jin lee

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim | 435 comments Finished reading Deep Freeze (Virgil Flowers, #10) by John Sandford by John Sandford John Sandford

My Review

I have started End Game (Will Robie, #5) by David Baldacci by David Baldacci David Baldacci

message 43: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Les: The Echo Killing looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Les wrote: "JF:- The Echo Killing: A gripping debut crime thriller you won’t be able to put down! Very good indeed.
.."

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments JF Bonfire which was a fast paced and excellent on audio, book.
NR The Take bumping up the April group read due to library availability. Will post threads for discussion soon. Sorry for any of you counting on it later...0)

message 46: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jan 27, 2018 01:17PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments JF: Robert B. Parker's The Hangman's Sonnet

Now listening to Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West. Nothing to do with M/T; she is a columnist who caught my attention.

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Melodie : I know you've liked many or most of Maggie Stiefvater's books, at least the Raven cycle if memory serves. I see you gave her new one two stars so I am curious as to what you didn't like.
I have it lined up and another friend with similar tastes liked it for four stars.
Melodie wrote: "J/F: All the Crooked Saints.."

message 48: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie : I know you've liked many or most of Maggie Stiefvater's books, at least the Raven cycle if memory serves. I see you gave her new one two stars so I am curious as to what you didn't like.
..."

It was just WEIRD!! Takes place in southern CO in the '60s and there are some extremely strange characters. It's not a very long book or I might not have finished it. I liked the Raven cycle books, still haven't read the last one and I LOVED the Wolves of Mercy Falls. Shiver is still one of my very favorite books. I love her writing style. I just didn't love this book.

message 49: by Ann (last edited Jan 27, 2018 08:58PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Melodie: thanks! Good to know! I loved both the Raven cycle and the Wolves of Mercy Falls books too. Funny I finished the Raven cycle books and haven't read the last Wolves book yet. ;)
Melodie wrote: "It was just WEIRD!! "
Ann wrote: "Melodie : I know you've liked many or most of Maggie Stiefvater's books, at least the Raven cycle if memory serves. I see you gave her new one two stars so I am curious as to what you didn't like..."

message 50: by Alfred (new)

Alfred | 87 comments I just finished Twister my Jonathan Kellerman. I quite enjoyed it with detective Petra Conner slogging out a serial murder thanks to the help of a grad school apprentice working out of the police station. The plot was convoluted with another murder but she solved that too.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.