Addicted to YA discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Features > January 2018 Author Feature: Anna K. Lane!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (last edited Jan 01, 2018 01:04PM) (new)

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Hey everyone! I hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve and here is to a great 2018!!! Today's the first of the month which means that we have a brand new author feature!

Our January guest for Addicted to YA’s author feature is Anna K. Lane! Let’s have a warm Addicted to YA welcome for her here on this thread!!

Author Bio: Since she was five, Anna K Lane has dreamed of writing stories. She reads any genre and, for a long time, couldn’t make up her mind whether she liked fantasy or science-fiction more. That is until she came across a sub-genre, science fantasy. And that suits her perfectly. Like so, Cursed Legacy, her debut novel, was born, blending in a bit of both worlds: a bit of science fiction and a bit of fantasy.

She is a fan of the Star Wars where the Force works similar to magic and she eagerly watches the new Doctor Who series with scientific explanations about time as a "wibbley-wobbley ball of timey-wimey stuff".

She has a major in psychology at University of New South Wales and a minor in ice cream indulgence. Born on a tropical island, she moved to sunny Australia then to cloudy London, UK and finally settled in Southern Ontario, Canada. There, she enjoys the snow with her husband and children and writing fiction for middle grade and young adults.

Book Series Name: Aeterna Chronicles

Book Description: If an impending invasion by savages threatened to destroy your home, would you risk your life to save it?
Millennia ago, an alien race granted the citizens of Levitor a stone of vast energy that saved their race from tyranny. They built a dome to shield their city from the dangers outside. But now the stone is unstable. A crack has appeared in the shield, a looming threat to the city’s ruin.
Seventeen-year-old Kallum Farron is no hero. He wants nothing more than to win the heart of the girl he loves and lead a normal life. But, after a simulation test unexpectedly leaves him reeling and he loses his guardian, what is normal takes a whole different meaning. He fears he’s turning into his worst nightmare –a Crazy. He discovers he’s gifted with a powerful legacy, and he alone can save Levitor.
But his cursed gift comes at a cost. When Levitor’s rulers and the alien race hunt him, Kallum must choose: where he belongs, and what is really worth sacrificing for the greater good.
Screen reader support enabled.

Q&A

Do you have a Guilty Pleasure book?
Too many! Sabaa Tahir Ember in the Ashes is first choice. Jennifer L'Armentrout Lux series, and Marie Lu's Young Elites series.

What is your favorite quote?
" Love is the one thing that we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.”

What is your favorite movie and why?
The Matrix - Our perception of reality is down to our senses and can be manipulated so easily.

What is your favorite genre to read? To write?
YA dystopian, fantasy and sci-fi. Something with good world-building and believable characters. Dialogue that sounds natural.

Which authors inspire you?
Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series. Neil Gaiman's books. Renee Ahdieh on choice of words and world-building, Paolo Bacigalupi's Dystopian world of Ship Breaker.

What is the best part about being an author?
Sharing your writing and making-up believable characters!

Give us an insight into your main character. What do they do that is so special?
Kallum discovers he's from a race who calls themselves the Aeterna. The race is revered as Silver-Eyed Gods by the citizens of Levitor city in which he lives. The Aeterna are portal travelers between worlds. Kallum is special in that he's able to travel through time as well and so becomes a pawn in a political game. As an Aeterna, he also has good reflexes in a fight and little nanos inside him help him heal quicker.

What was the hardest thing about writing your last book?
Working on an ending. It took several rewrites and countless edits.

Anna’s Additional Comments: Looking forward to answering your questions. Thank you for offering this opportunity to authors! :)

Catch up with Anna L. Lane and find out more info at the Links below!
Amazon Link| Goodreads Link | Goodreads Author Page

**GIVEAWAY**

Anna and Addicted to YA are hosting an international giveaway for 5 ebooks of Cursed Legacy (Aeterna Chronicles #1)!

To enter all you have to do is be a member of our group and have participated in this author feature post, here is the link to:

Our Rafflecopter giveaway

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily_woodal) Omg this sounds so good!!

I do have a question for you :)

What do you like to do for fun when you aren’t writing?

message 3: by Medusa (new)

Medusa Redden | 1 comments Hey, we have the same minor!

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam What's your favourite animal to snuggle?

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana (booklover160) | 4 comments Wow this sounds like a fantastic series! I didn’t even know science fantasy was a subgenre but I’d also describe my favorites as that.

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Messier (darlingdanielle77) The series sounds very interesting! I don’t think I’ve read a book from science fantasy so I’m interested to see what one would be like.

sparklesandbooks | 1 comments What are you usually doing when you get inspiration for a book?

message 8: by Libby (new)

Libby Stumer (libbystumer) What is your favourite book to movie adaption?

message 9: by mònica (new)

mònica • nightingfae (nightingfae) | 1 comments Who’s your main inspiration? And your favorite writer?

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Holt | 48 comments I loved Scott Westerfield's Uglies series - one of the best sci-fis ever! Tally was my favorite character, naturally lol. Who was yours?

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Emily wrote: "Omg this sounds so good!!

I do have a question for you :)

What do you like to do for fun when you aren’t writing?"

Reading, hiking, and watching movies would be my first choice. Above all, I love to discuss/share ideas with my family. We’d be watching GOT or Walking Dead and discuss the power struggle or watch a marathon of Terminator/ Jason Bourne/ comedies over weeks and laugh/spoof about them. I also love anything challenging –from word games to cooking.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Adam wrote: "What's your favourite animal to snuggle?"

I once snuggled a koala bear while in Australia. For real! It was the size of a two-year-old, so round and cuddly and had the cutest eyes – never mind its fierce grip and sharp claws :-)

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Mutsa wrote: "What are you usually doing when you get inspiration for a book?"

Chores usually- got to be done and that’s when my mind wanders most. I got the idea for Aeterna Chronicles from listening to Iron Maiden’s 'Journeyman’ & 'Dream of mirrors'
Have you ever felt the future is the past, but you don't know how?
A reflected dream of a captured time, is it really now, is it really happening?
Aerosmith’s ‘Dream On’
Half my life Is books, written pages. Live and learn from fools and From sages

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments LibbyS_03 wrote: "What is your favourite book to movie adaption?"

A Monster Calls. Because I went through the same experience/phase of guilt, anger, and frustration at a young age. Miss Peregrine is another and I’m looking forward to the adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time this year.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 61 comments I've never heard it called science fantasy but that's a brand of sci-fi that I do like! (the other is horror/sci-fi).

message 16: by Raven (new)

Raven (birdofthenight) | 18 comments This seems like an odd question, but what's your favorite season?

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) | 2265 comments Kallum has interesting choices. It'll be interesting to see what he does with them.

message 18: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Evans | 30 comments Yay! This looks like a wonderful book!

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Mònica wrote: "Who’s your main inspiration? And your favorite writer?"
I’d say my mother taught me to think outside of the box. If I were to pick another-despite her many scandals- it would be Victoria Woodhull, aka Mrs Satan. IMO, she was a free thinker, started her own business, and was financially independent –something hard to achieve in the late 1900 when women had no vote/say. Anyone really who thinks outside of the box/system is inspiring.

The best writers I’ll read anything from –G.R.R Martin, J.K Rowling, Neil Gaiman, Roald Dahl. Hard to pick one! I love to discover new writers. My most recent favorites are Paolo Bacigalupi (dystopian genre) Melissa Landers (light humorous sci-fi) and Susan Dennard (Fantasy)

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Laura wrote: "I loved Scott Westerfield's Uglies series - one of the best sci-fis ever! Tally was my favorite character, naturally lol. Who was yours?"

I’d pick Shay –because she didn’t want to be a Pretty and she’s the one who wanted to explore the outside world. I love the dystopian world-building in the series and the concept of beauty and self-esteem is so close to YA: how they define themselves, the standards of beauty as depicted by society, its cultural aspects. We can all relate to that at some point. There is such thing as a beautiful mind after all.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Astrid wrote: "This seems like an odd question, but what's your favorite season?"

Not odd at all. Winter. I come from a tropical island but I love being snowed under for six months Nov-Apr. I find I’m more productive brainstorming and writing first drafts than the rest of the year. Spring, summer, and fall can be distracting. :)

message 22: by Zarafshan (new)

Zarafshan Are you a fan of Christopher nolan movies?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

What is one thing you loved about writing this series and one thing that was a challenge?

message 24: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Lins (vivendoavida) | 3 comments Hello! I gotta a question... Well... What inspires you when you are felling down to still keep going?

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Zarafshan wrote: "Are you a fan of Christopher nolan movies?"
I’ve only watched Dark Knight, Inception and Interstellar so far but yes I am. My favorite quote above is from the movie Interstellar. I have a collection of movie music, and Bane music (from The dark knight rises) is one of the best.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Lucille wrote: "What is one thing you loved about writing this series and one thing that was a challenge?"

The creative process -pouring out of words, writing page after page, putting down on paper dialogue/conversations and actions you imagine from the characters in your head- is what I liked most writing my very first series.
The challenge is realizing how much of it doesn’t make sense and has to be rewritten and edited. It’s a bit like living a fictional dream and suddenly you have to reimagine the dream. My first concept of Levitor was a floating island –other YA authors made it work but in the end, Levitor became a domed city. The challenge is to be flexible and open to suggestions and be ready to change/edit when points in the book don’t work so well.

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Carolina wrote: "Hello! I gotta a question... Well... What inspires you when you are felling down to still keep going?"

The first step is realizing that feeling down is a phase and it might take a few days or longer for the mood/inspiration to pick up. It’s a time-out for me. During such days, I’ll probably turn up a few hundred words or so, some dialogue or summaries and that’s fine.

I find it counter-productive to force out words when I can’t imagine any scene or work out any plot points or even a sentence. Instead, I take a few days off -read a book I can immerse myself into, go for long walks/shopping, or watch lots of comedies – and, as I have no cable TV or streaming, even a few cartoons with the family work! I guess a good laugh does the job to keep me going.

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol Nicolas | 5 comments This looks really interesting!

message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 72 comments I love fantasy and I'm glad I participate in this group, because I met you. You are a very interesting author and I can't wait to read your book!

message 30: by Emily W. (new)

Emily W. | 8 comments You like doctor who, so my question would be do you have a favorite doctor in any of the new or original? If so who?

message 31: by Vlada (new)

Vlada Sounds really interesting. Can't wait ti read

message 32: by Chase (new)

Chase | 14 comments How did you get started writing books? What convinced you that you could be a published writer?

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Emily W. wrote: "You like doctor who, so my question would be do you have a favorite doctor in any of the new or original? If so who?"

Hi,
I started with the new series with the ninth Doctor and I became fascinated with time travel. I answer your question here:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/1705...

so I won't copy and paste. It's one of the few sci-fi that I can watch with my kids and go through a lot of what-ifs. Their favorite companion is Rose and the Tenth Doctor (and we always argue about them!)

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Nicole wrote: "This sounds really good, I can't wait to get my hands on this book. How do you get past writers block?"

Hi,

I take a couple of days off writing, but I don't linger for too long. My answer is here:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/1705...

If my imaginary characters still refuse to talk to me, I start brainstorming for another book (I've been reading a lot of dystopian lately, what with the deep freeze and superstorms). The best writers, such as Asimov and Tolkien, did exactly that: they had at least three typewriters with different stories on each, and they would move from one to another. So even if I'm working on another story, I think my subconscious is still working out to 'unblock' your writer's block. Strangely, I get ideas/find solutions while doing daily chores - no fan but here you go.

message 35: by E. (new)

E. (erintheinvader) | 7 comments This sounds awesome, I'm definitely going to have to add this to my growing pile of books to read!

message 36: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Byrnes (raquelbyrnes) | 8 comments What a cool premise... this whole stone cracking thing really got me worried! What inspired this story?

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Potocar (lisapotocar) | 16 comments Ever snuggle with a wombat? They are the cutest of Australian mammals, in my opinion! Love your cover. It is awesome!!

message 38: by Emily (new)

Emily Shor (emshor) | 4 comments This looks like a great book! I'm excited to read it. Out of curiosity, what is your favorite TV show?

message 39: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 3 comments This book sounds amazing! I am also a fan of Neil Gaiman! What is your favorite book of his?

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Struggling Bookaholic) (kelly-strugglingbookaholic) | 4 comments It sounds like you have traveled/lived in a lot of different places. Which location is your favorite?

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Lisa wrote: "Ever snuggle with a wombat? They are the cutest of Australian mammals, in my opinion! Love your cover. It is awesome!!"

Thank you!

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Chase wrote: "How did you get started writing books? What convinced you that you could be a published writer?"

Sounds cliche... Can I say human nature and behavior fascinate me? (part of the reason I went into psychology. And books have always been a passion too. It’s daunting and nail-biting to put something out there that reveals part of yourself, i.e. every writer puts some of their beliefs and personality and style in their books.

My family & friends –reading MG and YA- liked my writing, so last July, I took the jump! Other authors who struggled –such as Amanda Hocking or Colleen Hoover who lived in a trailer- but believed in their writing also encouraged me.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Raquel wrote: "What a cool premise... this whole stone cracking thing really got me worried! What inspired this story?"

We moved to Canada nine years ago. Gosh, after going through Montreal, Toronto, we finally settled in 2013 (to give the kids some stability) North right on the snowbelt where we got hit with ice storms. With no power for a fortnight, one fireplace, it was like retreating back in history. Our neighbors opened their barbecue on Christmas day amidst a pile of snow. It made me think. We were in an isolated new place. Our house alarm was off –and no cell phones either. We put chairs against doors and I felt so vulnerable. Unsafe. This feeling remained with me, and early 2017, I sketched plans for Aeterna Chronicles where energy, comfort, and safety –things I took for granted really- are at stake.

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Emily wrote: "This looks like a great book! I'm excited to read it. Out of curiosity, what is your favorite TV show?"

We don’t have TV :) - and it’s a choice my family agrees on. We pick a movie sometimes in the weekend or get a TV series from the local library. I love GOT with its myriad of characters and strong woman –how Sansa, Danareys, Arya, all become strong. With my eldest teen daughter, we watch The Walking Dead and cringe every ten minutes at Negan’s appearance. I can’t choose between the two. One thing both have in common is the conflict of power, whether apocalyptic or fantasy.

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Mandie wrote: "This book sounds amazing! I am also a fan of Neil Gaiman! What is your favorite book of his?"

I’d go with the Stardust and Interworld/Silver Dream with the portals and time travel. NG’s writing has such a good flow that the pages turn themselves.

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Kelly wrote: "It sounds like you have traveled/lived in a lot of different places. Which location is your favorite?"

It’s hard to pick. I was brought by a single mother who worked three jobs and still found the time to teach me to think differently and make me feel worthy. I tell a little about me here:

https://medium.com/@akc_lane/there-is...

During my four years in Australia, I remember most about the carefree ethos-and how my university mates can have so many Victoria beer cans and get back to studying when I have such low tolerance! :) Traveling changed my perspective. So did living in London where my kids were born.

I’d pick Canada because, in the end, as much as I’m not a skier/snow/ice skater person, the people you live around matter. I love the Canadians’ openness, sense of values, and gratitude (yes, they do readily say sorrey). I see this in how my kids are taught responsibility, respect, and leadership at school. It’s not all about academics, and values -gained at a young age- are important.

message 47: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (lpmarinemom) | 1 comments When you aren't writing, what do you do for fun?

message 48: by Anna (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Cindy wrote: "When you aren't writing, what do you do for fun?"

What do you like to do for fun when you aren’t writing?"

Reading, hiking, and watching movies would be my first choice. Above all, I love to discuss/share ideas with my family. We’d be watching GOT or Walking Dead and discuss the power struggle or watch a marathon of Terminator/ Jason Bourne/ comedies over weeks and laugh/spoof about them. I also love anything challenging –from word games to cooking.

message 49: by Andie (new)

Andie Whisler | 3 comments Looks like we have the same minor as well as love of Star Wars 💕

message 50: by Anna (last edited Jan 12, 2018 05:19AM) (new)

Anna Lane (annaklane) | 41 comments Sleepy Dragon wrote: "This sounds so interesting!

Is this your first book? And if so, how did you start writing it? Did you start with the world first or the characters? I never understand how to just START writing, an..."

Cursed legacy is my first book, yes, in the Aeterna Chronicles (the first in a quadrilogy). I guess you have to know first what genre you like best and the audience age you’re writing to. I personally like light sci-fi and fantasy.

Here is JK Rowling’s outline – it’s so much worth to start with a structure.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

Having some direction and splitting your book into small chunks/scenes IMO is a good start. I used index cards first, but now I do all the planning on the computer.

Characters came first, but the world always has to impact character’s decisions/actions. As for back how to start writing, there are hundreds of books out there.

Plan it out: take a large piece of paper, draw a line and mark with 0 to 100%, chop it half at 50%, then 25% and 75%. These are the turning points and write a one-line summary: 5% -Jane receives an offer /10% -Jane seeks advice/ 25% Jane is forced to go into fantasyland. I used an old book ‘The weekend Novelist’ by Robert Jay and screenwriting to learn about scenes and structure. The Write Great fiction books are a great start.

Don’t worry; any first draft has to be rewritten. Just pour the words on paper/screen however horrible they may sound and edit them later. But if you don’t pour them out, you have nothing to edit. If you are planning a series, the same structure applies. I hope this helps and good luck!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.