Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Pick Me A Winner: January 15th through February 15th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Duration: January 15th - February 15th
Partners will be picked on the same day!

guidelines for this challenge:
* Create a "shelf" for your partner to choose from before the challenge begins
* You choose 3 books from your partners shelf for your partner to read
* Your partner picks three from your shelf for you to read
*After you read your book come back and post to let your partner know when you are done and what you thought of the book (no pressure, it can be just one sentence)

**** The challenge is to read one book from your shelf that your partner chose. You do not have to read all three! (it's just to give a choice) ****

If you have questions, please post them Here

Please sign up below and post a link to your shelf for your partner to choose from!

message 2: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Jan 18, 2018 05:18PM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Participants:

✓1. Leah
✓2. Sarah
✓3. Hannah
✓4. Vicki
✓5. Stephanie
✓6. Ashly
✓7. Brenna
✓8. Sarah
✓9. Jessica
✓10. Morgan
✓11. Rachel
✓12. Kati
✓13. Kat
✓14. Michelle
✓15. Catherine
✓16. Trisha

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Jan 18, 2018 05:18PM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Partners:

✓1. Rachel & Kati
✓2. Stephanie & Jessica
✓3. Kat & Ashly
✓4. Morgan & Catherine
✓5. Sarah & Michelle
✓6. Leah & Vicki
✓7. Sarah & Hannah
✓8. Brenna & Trisha

message 7: by Vicki (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nederhoff | 2 comments I’m in!

message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 215 comments I would like to participate!

Morgan's Pick Me a Winner Shelf

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Welcome everyone!!

updated! Please let me know if you see any errors!

If you're hoping to still join - There's still time!

Just comment below with a shelf and you're in!

message 18: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Stephanie wrote: "I’m in!"

I chose your "want to read" shelf but let me know if you want me to change it!!

Welcome to the challenge :)

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 38 comments I'm in if I can still join

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Jan 16, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments *****************************

Partners have been posted!!

Check the thread here for shelves to pick from!!

message 22: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments My partner is: Brenna
My picks for you:

1. Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2) by Victoria Schwab because it was so good and this author is one of my fvorites

2. Follow Me (The Amateurs, #2) by Sara Shepard because I'm dying to read it and would love to see what you think of it!

3. Landline by Rainbow Rowell because it's a stand alone and I loved it (and love this author too!)

I hope whichever one you pick is a winner!!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 204 comments My partner is Michelle.

I am picking:

1. Apocalypse Z The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1) by Manel Loureiro because I have it and haven't read it and would be curious what you think.

2. Silver Stars (Front Lines, #2) by Michael Grant because it's great alternative fiction with strong female leads.

3. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas because even though it doesn't look like you need to start another series, if you do, let it be this one!

I hope there's a winner in that bunch!

message 24: by Kat Platzman (new)

Kat Platzman | 16 comments My partner is Ashly, and my picks are:
1. At the Edge of the Universe by Shaun David Hutchinson
2. Timekeeper (Timekeeper, #1) by Tara Sim
3. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1) by Lish McBride

I haven't read any of these books, but they all sound very interesting! Can't wait to see what you think about them!

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1663 comments My Partner is Sarah and here are my picks for you:

1. Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton - I have it on my list as well.

2. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis -

3. Fighting to Survive (As The World Dies, #2) by Rhiannon Frater - I love her work!

Enjoy!

message 26: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments My partner is Sarah and I pick:

1.) Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman because it has the highest rating.

2.) The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg because I've thought about reading it.

3.) Dream a Little Dream The Silver Trilogy by Kerstin Gier because I've read it and liked it.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2667 comments My partner is Vicki, and I choose:

1. Stuck in the Middle (Sister-to-Sister #1) by Virginia Smith because it's been on your shelf the longest.

2. What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick because I like the cover.

3. Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill because I liked this book.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 16 comments My partner is Hannah!
My picks are:

1. Fated Gods (Summoners, #3) by A.M. Yates because the synopsis sounds amazing.

2. Frost (Poseidon's Girls, #2) by M.S. Watson because I want to read it.

3. Expiation - The Whisper of Death (The Touched Paranormal Angel Romance Series, Book 4). (A Gothic Romance Based On A Norwegian Legend.) by Elisa S. Amore because it has the highest rating and the synopsis makes me want to drop everything and read it.

message 29: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments My partner is Leah and I only had five books from which to choose, none of which I've read. So for you, Leah, I pick the following:

1. Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1) by Julie C. Dao because I love the cover
2. Like a Fish Out of Water (Mysteries of Martha's Vineyard #2) by Janice Thompson in case you are doing the cover challenge, this has a fish on the cover
3. Snow Deer and Cocoa Cheer by Joanne DeMaio because the title is so fun, the book must be too!

I hope you find a good one out of these three! Happy reading!

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Leah wrote: "My partner is Vicki, and I choose:

1. Stuck in the Middle (Sister-to-Sister #1) by Virginia Smith because it's been on your shelf the longest.

I am going to read Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill because I can use it for a challenge and it was published on my dad's birthday, January 7. Thanks, Leah.

message 31: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 215 comments My partner is Catherine!

My picks for Catherine are:

1. The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher because I love Carrie Fisher.

2. Stargirl (Stargirl, #1) by Jerry Spinelli because I have always wanted to read this book and haven't gotten around to it. I would be curious how she likes it.

3. The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner because the plot sounds intriguing and it got good ratings on GoodReads.

message 32: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 188 comments My Partner is Kat and I pick

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline because I loved it.

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Guide, #1) by Mackenzi Lee because I heard good things about it.

Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown because I also heard good things about this series.

Hope you enjoy them!

message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 38 comments My partner is Morgan and my picks for her are:
1. Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard because it continues a series she has started
2. The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket because this was one of my favorite series in middle school
3. Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo because it has good ratings and everyone I know that has read it loves this book

message 34: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments I'm going to read Fated Gods (Summoners, #3) by A.M. Yates because it's the last one in the trilogy.

message 35: by Brenna (new)

Brenna O'Reilly | 124 comments My partner is Trisha! and my picks are:

1. The Forgotten Girls A Bella DeFranco Mystery (Suburban Murder, #1) by Alexa Steele because who doesn't love a good murder mystery?

2. The Memory Game by Sharon Sant because this sounds really interesting

3. Shadows on Snow by Starla Huchton because I love retold fairy tales :)

Happy reading!

message 36: by Rachel (last edited Jan 16, 2018 02:17PM) (new)

Rachel (ihateppl123456) | 52 comments My partner is Kati and I choose:

1. Rosemarked (Rosemarked #1) by Livia Blackburne because its cover looks really amazing.
2. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson because it's a tragic love story (or so I've been told)
3. Starflight (Starflight, #1) by Melissa Landers because its synopsis sounds pretty interesting.

Have fun!

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 557 comments My partner is Stephanie and for her I pick:
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant because I've heard this is really good and it's on my to read list,
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky because I liked it, and
Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton because I liked the cover.
Hope there's a winner!

message 38: by Kati (last edited Jan 16, 2018 11:21PM) (new)

Kati | 170 comments My partner is Rachel and I choose:

My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1) by Cynthia Hand - because it was my favourite read of 2016

Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars #1) by Audrey Coulthurst - because I thought this book took common high fantasy tropes and added a new twist.

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon - because this was a cute contemporary that left me smiling

Happy Reading 📚

message 39: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2667 comments Vicki wrote: "I am going to read Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill because..."
That's a good choice, and I am going to read Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1) by Julie C. Dao . Thank you for your picks.

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nederhoff | 2 comments Out of the choices Jessica has chosen I’m going to read ‘the red tent’ because I’ve been rather curious about this one for a while. For Jessica I choose,

The wild —-> because this is on my ‘want to read’ list and I’ve heard great things about it.

Roll of thunder hear my cry —-> I read this one when I was young and it used to be my favorite that’s why I chose it for you! (I need to re-read it, I don’t remember much.)

The nazi officer’s wife —-> I love a good Holocaust book the whole period fascinates me so that is why I picked this one.

Happy reading. :)

message 41: by Sarah (last edited Feb 02, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

Sarah | 204 comments I have finished one of my picks.

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
Started: 1/16
Completed: 1/18
Rated: 4 stars

Fighting to Survive (As The World Dies, #2) by Rhiannon Frater
Started: 1/20
Completed: 1/22
Rated: 5 stars

Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton
Started: 1/31
Completed: 2/2
Rated: 3.5 stars

message 42: by Vicki (last edited Jan 21, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I finished my pick and I am so glad that Leah picked this for me and that I decided to read it since she really liked it!
Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Read: 1/18
Rated: 4 stars

message 43: by Kat Platzman (new)

Kat Platzman | 16 comments from what Ashly chose I'm probably going to read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, even though all of those books sound amazing! :)

message 44: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2667 comments I read Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1) by Julie C. Dao , but I didn't like it. It was much darker than I was expecting it to be.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 16 comments Hannah wrote: "My partner is Sarah and I pick:
2.) The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg because I've thought about reading it.

I chose The Paper Magician and I finished reading it, I gave it three stars because I was just expecting more for the great reviews it was getting. I feel like overall the book could've been shortened to 100 pages, there was just extra filler that felt annoying and time consuming. Maybe I'm just an impatient reader and expected the book to move faster? I was sorely disappointed by the plot, but the characters were lovely and animated.
Thank you for the pick!

message 46: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Leah wrote: "I read Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1) by Julie C. Dao, but I didn't like it. It was much darker than I was expecting it to be."

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I just liked the cover. LOL

message 47: by Brenna (new)

Brenna O'Reilly | 124 comments Phew finally was able to finish :)
Follow Me (The Amateurs, #2) by Sara Shepard
Started: 1/23
Completed: 2/12
Stars: 3

message 48: by Rachel (last edited Feb 13, 2018 09:09PM) (new)

Rachel (ihateppl123456) | 52 comments I chose When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon and I liked how it exposed me to Indian culture :)

message 49: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments I ended up reading Expiation The Whisper of Death Volume 4 (Touched) by Elisa S. Amore . It was too long and wasn't happy with the overall ending.

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 557 comments Sorry I'm late to posting.
I read
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Logans, #4) by Mildred D. Taylor
★★★
15 Feb 2018

Thanks, Stephanie!

« previous 1